Thread: Finis trainer VS Finis competitor?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Shimmer Mermaid's Avatar

Finis trainer VS Finis competitor?

I have been wanting a silicone tail, eventually from FinFolk, and I've been stuck on ONE part. Which monofin to get in it.

It seems that the trainer makes the fluke more "flowy"? They used a trainer in the "sunset" tail with individual scales for lyrique.

And I think syrena has a competitor in hers, but I could be mistaken.

Inputs from those who've tried both or at least one of them?

I'm trying to determine my costs on one if I am ever able to. Lol
    Tell me your secrets, sailor.. and I'll whisper mine in return.

It's completely up to you, your swim style, and what you intend to use the tail for.
    The deciding factor for me was "am I only going to be in pools for this tail?" or "am I going to do ocean swims?"
    I have the competitor in mine only because I know I am a strong swimmer and planned on doing open water/ocean swims at some point soon with my tail and I was told the competitor is better for those kind of situations. Now, I am in love with how much power and kick the competitor has to it and I'm happy with my choice. But like I said, from what others have told me, it just depends on what you will be doing in the tail and your swim style.

I'm near the biggest lake in the state, that several birthday parties have been planned at. But I will be using it in shallow water, the lake a little (mainly at the beach) and in pools. So maybe the trainer? I love how lyriques moves, and it still seems that she has plenty of "umph" too. Maybe it's time to talk to the twins?

Yes Syrena, Ginger, and I all have competitors! I think it still has a beautiful flow to it while giving it a good amount of power! I absolutely LOVE my competitor!!
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

I also have a Competitor and I love it! I love the power and speed I get from it. I personally am NOT a fan of the flowy look, even though a lot of other mers seem to be, because I think it looks unnatural. Fishes have fin rays that are meant to stiffen the caudal fin to help propel them and maximize efficiency, thus minimizing the amount of energy they have to expend in order to move themselves. There are of course some exceptions, such as Bettas, but those long flowy Betta fins were actually bred into them by humans to make them look pretty, not to help them biologically :P
    /grumpy zoologist

But then again, you should just go with what you feel most comfortable with. I can definitely say, though, that a Competitor gives you one helluva workout; last summer after swimming a lot I went on a long hike with a friend and pretty much galloped up the trail like a mountain goat! (NOT my normal hiking speed...)

If you want to see how a Finfolk looks in the water, check out this video Mermaid Lorelei made of us swimming together:

I really love the way it looks in the water, with the fin being flexible but strong and just the tips being more flowy. For me it was definitely worth the money for the Competitor upgrade. Hope this helps!

Does anyone besides Lyrique have the trainer?

Coradion does and I've swam in it and love it.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Ripple's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Ripple on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Ripple on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Ripple's Youtube Channel
    I just stumbled upon this.. Yay me for being more active on here! Anyways, I was supposed to have a competitor in my new Finfolk tail and somehow there was a mix up so I ended up getting a trainer. We agreed that id try it out before I decided I would rather the competitor and I actually really love the trainer!! I spoke in length to the girls and Ali Underwater (certified free diver) and they all prefer the trainer in their personal tails. While it is a little less stiff than the competitor it still gives great propulsion. I was at least 15 ft underwater in the ocean before I knew it, which kinda sold it to me. Cause initially I wanted the competitor for ocean swimming as well Lorelei!
    On a side note, how do I tag people?! I'm so not technologically inclined :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Find me on:
    FB: www.facebook.com/mermaidripple
    Instagram: @ripplethemermaid
    Tumblr: mermaid-ripple
    Formerly known as BabyDot