Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pools in The UK.

Carla do you mind naming the gym address please? Essex should be find from me depending on what part of it (im in London)

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

~**~**My tailmaking thread**~**~

Considering the name 'Mermaid Triteia'

Junior Member Euro Pod Samantha Sleeman's Avatar
    Add Samantha Sleeman on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomymort View Post
    I went for my first swim with my fin today as my local pool had previously said they they would allow fins but not tails, After 10 lengths (best lengths in my life but I don't need to tell you guys that) the duty manager came over to me and told me I had to take it off he did allow me to do one more length and told me that I might be able to book a lane but would have to phone in the daytime... I think the reason it was suddenly not ok was because a teacher said out loud while pointing at me "thats bloody dangerous" and then probably complained so unlikely able to swim there with my fin any more...
    @ Samantha Sleeman Where do you swim? Bristol isn't far from me and I could probably make it over there occasionally
    Hiya I swim at Hutton more leisure center in Weston super mare, however I do now have to hire out a lane in advance but they are still very happy to see me there.
    Unfortuanatly my old tail broke but hopefully I will be making a new one as soon as I can afford
    (which is very difficult with a horse lol) the two hobbies are both expensive.
    i still go with my mono fin and they allow but if you would still like to go you would have to ring up the manager and speak to him so you could get all the details in full 'correct' details lol

Is there a pool in Hampshire that allows mermaid tails?
    <object classid="clsidFacebook: Mermaid Miradis ------- Twitter: @MermaidMiradis
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    YouTube: Mermaid Miradis
    </object>

Any pool that allow it in London?
    Claudia of the Sea.

Claudia, that is what I want to figure out as well!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

~**~**My tailmaking thread**~**~

Considering the name 'Mermaid Triteia'

Cool!!! Yea mermaids in London!
    Claudia of the Sea.

I've just ordered my first tail (yay!) and have been doing the rounds trying to find somewhere to swim. All the council run pools have said no but a lovely heated outdoor pool in Woburn has said yes! It's not very deep but is something at least It only opens in spring, summer and autumn so I'll be asking my local dive school if they can help during winter months

Hey, good to see some fellow mers near Bristol

Quick question for you guys if you don't mind - do you know about any good nearby spots for outdoor swimming? I heard there's a nice place near Bath for a swim in the river, for example. Any good experiences?

Gloomymort - in Henbury Leisure Centre they say they're 'fin friendly'. Haven't tried it out yet because I'm just practicing without a fin, but it might be worth checking out. Also, in one pool in Bristol there's regular freediving training going on so they might be o.k. with you there - I can check out for you what the pool's called if you want.

I've not looked into swimming in natural water yet

I have had a yes from another outdoor pool - with the limitation that it needs to not be too busy and I have a word with the lifeguard before I get in. They said though that if it's raining I would definitely be ok It's heated and I don't mind swimming in the rain so on to a winner!

My tail arrived yesterday (LOVE IT!) so I'm going to try out the monofin on Sunday at Woburn and see how I get on!

Senior Member Euro Pod SiaTheMermaid's Avatar
    Add SiaTheMermaid on Facebook
    So I recently got a fully silicone tail and i contacted my local pool 'The Royal Commonwealth' to ask about using my tail in their facility. Six weeks. Six weeks of them ignoring me, not answering my requests for a risk assesment, not calling me back when they say they will. Finally got an answer today of a resounding 'No' based on the fact that the legs are bound together. I have tried looking for Rainas guide on fighting the tail ban but I cant find it. Im so pissed right now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I wanna be where the mermaids are, I wanna see, wanna see them twirling
    Swimming around with those, What do you call 'em?
    Oh, fins.

Damn it, we need a UK mermaid revolution!
    Claudia of the Sea.

Senior Member Euro Pod SiaTheMermaid's Avatar
    Add SiaTheMermaid on Facebook
    Uk mermaid protest against the tail bans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I wanna be where the mermaids are, I wanna see, wanna see them twirling
    Swimming around with those, What do you call 'em?
    Oh, fins.

hi i'm new to all this, i just got my mono fin and when i asked my local pool if i could use it they came out with similar responses, but they also threw in that they wouldn't let me use it as some had drowned whilst wearing one. i think this is bs has anyone heard of this?

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    I've never heard of anyone drowning whilst tailswimming.

I know, just making up nonsense. I've been lucky tho a friend works in hotel with a pool that I can use sometimes, he was so impressed when I let him try my mono fin he has ordered one too. He want to be a shark rather than a merman. So I'm still the only mer in devonsher.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Try private gym pools. My local council pool was terrible. I had different answers from different people and really rude staff but the gym are absolutely fine (if not pretty happy) about the fin as long as I'm sensible about taking up space during busy times and use the smaller fin if it is busier. However, it is a much smaller pool and it isn't very deep but I've been swimming in my local river all summer so I'm just glad to have somewhere warm that doesn't have a current. I think private gym pools can be much more accommodating if you are up for getting membership.

I am a member of David Lloyd gym and they are ok with me using my mahina merfin. When i first got my merfin i took it to my local council pool and got kicked out. I gave the manager a good moan so don't you worry. I am a confident swimmer and in a 50m pool i was hardly going to kill anybody. anyway, at the david lloyd gym, it being private and therefore more elite, fewer people, smaller pool and life guards with 2 brain cells, i can use my merfin. as long as the pool isn't stupidly busy and there aren't more than 2 in one lane. The life guard last time i was there was talking to me about it and said he'd never seen anything like it, i said its superb for working out with and he said we usually don't allow fins but it is down to our discretion and he could see that i am a confident swimmer and that i swim very close to the pool floor so i am away from passing swimmers. So in my experience and the above comments i can also agree that private gyms are the way forward

I have found a private pool near me that I can rent for an hour for £30 or I can book 10 1 hour sessions for £180. i have my first session booked for 28th Jan to try out my first silicone tail. In the summer I go to my local outdoor pool and they are really happy that I swim there. I am the Woburn mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Forrest View Post
    I have found a private pool near me that I can rent for an hour for £30 or I can book 10 1 hour sessions for £180. i have my first session booked for 28th Jan to try out my first silicone tail. In the summer I go to my local outdoor pool and they are really happy that I swim there. I am the Woburn mermaid
    what pool is that? woburn is only an hour away from me - would be wonderful to swim together!

I swim at Woburn Lido in the summer, the pool I've booked privately is in Abingdon near Oxford! Would be great to have other Mers to swim with