Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making A Mold Of Seashells For Tops?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel

Question Making A Mold Of Seashells For Tops?

I want to make a mold of the lion's paw scallop shells I have and be able to cast them in silicone for tops. What kind of mold making material would I use to do that?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a 2-part mold to get the curvature on the inside of the shells so it will go nicely against the curvature of the breasts/bra. If you're casting in silicone it's fine to have a hard mold. Unless there's some issue with using silicone in it, I would go for a plaster of paris mold. It's cheap and effective, and there are tons of tutorials and videos on the net on making two part plaster molds

I too will be doing this.. if I ever find a 7+ inch lion paw shell XP No luck so far! I'll probably make one for casting in resin though, since it's cheaper, easier to paint, lighter, and more durable.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Hey, idea: if you can't find lion's paws big enough, what about taking whatever you CAN find and adding onto it with clay, basically sculpting around it to extend the edges outward to make a bigger shell shape? Then you'd essentially have a larger shell you could mold and cast.

Also, the Perth Mermaids made a couple of silicone tops, one shell-inspired, and did a really good thread documenting their methods.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've used Mold Putty for jewelry. It can pick up tiny details very easily, and when dry the object pops out easily too. You don't have to struggle with it.
    http://www.aldersonartsandcrafts.com...esin-and-more/

Maybe there is a similar product in your country.
    Formerly known as ireneho