Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan is at it again

Japan is at it again

Japan recently got kicked out of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums for refusing to stop accepting dolphins from the inhumane Taiji dolphin drives. And they issued a statement saying they are still going to keep the Taiji drive going, and will continue to take dolphins capured there.

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...olphins-2015-4

smh japan.... smh...
    The SeaGlass Siren

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    There's a nice and fitting saying:

if you want to evaluate the nivel a people's culture has achieved, you need to look at how said people are treating animals.

People who delight in blood and gore and don't place much worth on a human life certainly won't give much on an animal's life.
    That goes for all countries.

did the dalai lama say that? i've heard it somewhere before but can't recall.
    The SeaGlass Siren

This is absolutely infuriating. Six years after The Cove came out, and the Taiji dolphin slaughter is still happening. Japan basically keeps flipping off the rest of the world. The International Whaling Commission also recently told Japan (finally) that its "scientific" whaling program isn't the slightest bit goddamned scientific, and that there is NO scientific reason to kill whales in order to study them. The IWC can comment on (pass "Resolutions" on) "scientific" whaling permits, but it can't actually regulate them. That falls to the International Court of Justice, apparently: https://iwc.int/permits

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Fun123joker's Avatar

Follow Fun123joker on Tumblr
    its been six years alreaddy? damn i remember staying up to see a rerun of the cove because the showing was a one time thing

gif. from Free! Eternal summer ending
    ・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Shit noooo.. Don't remind me about Taiji. I have the cove on DVD and spent days after watching it sad and angry.
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

i also feel like they do not give a fuck. like now that everyone knows, i think they're just trying to bank on the fact that everyone knows. "look at us we hunt dolphins. look at the white dolphin we captured"
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    There's a nice and fitting saying:

if you want to evaluate the nivel a people's culture has achieved, you need to look at how said people are treating animals.

People who delight in blood and gore and don't place much worth on a human life certainly won't give much on an animal's life.
    That goes for all countries.
    My god that is perfect. ...Wasn't this a Nietzche quote or something?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaAbyss View Post
    My god that is perfect. ...Wasn't this a Nietzche quote or something?
    Mahatma Gandhi, actually.

I think I heard it first in a documentary about Ancient Egypt. Egypt wins hands-down in that regard. Never before or after in human history were animals regarded as highly (namely, as equal).

He also said:
    all of our strife stems from trying to force our opinions on others; and
    an eye for an eye; and the whole world goes blind.

It's interesting that that quote came from Ghandi, Echidna. India has recently led the rest of the world on the dolphin captivity issue by declaring dolphins to be "non-human persons" and by banning cetacean captivity parks in India.

http://www.dw.de/dolphins-gain-unpre...dia/a-16834519

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    They're also ignoring an international ban on their BS "scientific" whaling program.

If whales shot oil out of their blowholes, the US would declare this an act of war.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went to Japan and visted a zoo there (it was free) it was so sad and depressing I almost cried.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    Quote goes well for Rome, too. Lions and slaves thrown in rings together to kill each other... Now that's what I call a bloodthirsty culture. Not that I think our Western society is truly better. People still take pleasure in seeing the pain and suffering of others: Just look at reality TV. I have to be honest, I think it is a much worse society that disregards the suffering of humans than that which is cruel to animals. Hence my distaste for the Sea Shepherds and for extreme animal rights movements. If you are incapable of showing love and understanding of your own species then you are not acting on the principles Ghadi espoused even if you do REALLY love animals. If violence against anything is your answer to a problem then you are headed down the same wicked path. Peace, love, patience, humility, and understanding are the only things that change people's views. Forcing someone into stopping something without changing their minds only hardens the heart and will leave them MORE resistant to true change. I feel that we need to have understanding of the reasons behind what Japan does, be they social or economical, and work backward from that to change their hearts rather than be too angry at them. Opinions spoken in angry voices are ignored or thrown out, like the man in the Supreme Court last week that screamed out all homos are going to burn in hell. I am glad he did it because it makes my side, pro gay marriage, look better, but it hurt his own stance. People don't listen to angry people, no matter how righteous their anger is or is not. I hate what Japan does, but we have to embrace them as brothers and sisters if we want to have a chance at changing their views forever.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

^ Well said!

{(¯¨*·.,¸_¸,.»BRINGING GRAVITY FALLS AND MERMAIDS TOGETHER SINCE...erm...2014! «.,¸_¸,.·*¨¯)}
    If you're a Gravity Falls fan, why don't you check out my blog?
    https://ageekgirlsblogofawesomeness.wordpress.com/

Formerly known as SeaStarShimmer

It's sad because a lot of people in Japan have a very high regard for animals. My host family literally wouldn't even swat a bug. And their rabbit died when I was there, and there was this huge ceremony for it. Sad to see the bad people are the ones in power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for those reminders, Kishiko and Seavanna. One of the highlights of the movie The Cove for me was when they showed video of the dolphin hunt to ordinary Japanese people in the street, and they were as upset as people in any other country. It's important to remember that it's special interests who are trying to keep this hunt going on, not "the Japanese People" That's surely one of the reasons they have tried so hard to prevent people filming it.

At the root of the Taiji slaughter is greed and power at the top, and need and powerlessness at the bottom: the same old formula that is destroying nature in every corner of the world. The people who actually perform the horrific murders of these dolphins are just trying to stay afloat financially and don't see a better way to make money. They have become hardened and callous because of this need and because of centuries of tradition, so they simply don't recognize the intelligence and emotions of cetaceans. They need to be shown there are other, better ways to earn income.

The policymakers at higher levels want animals to just be a resource that they can squander at will to promote their own wealth and solidify their positions of power. They need to be shown that the rest of the world finds the Taiji slaughter cruel and unthinkably barbaric and that there will be economic consequences to its continuation.

There needs to be an awakening at the top and at the bottom of the socioeconomic chain that sets these events in motion. The only power we animal rights advocates have is information - getting it out, via the Internet and other media, to the regular people in Japan (including Taiji) and around the world - and our voices as voters. We need to encourage our governments to put pressure on Japan's bureaucrats, whether it be economic sanctions or bad press, to end the Japanese war on Cetaceans.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    good luck with that.
    Bad press?...

ever heard of the massacres of Nanjing?
    The perpetrators of the biggest warcrimes of that invasion are revered in Japan as shintoist gods.
    People who did timed mass head chop-offs as sport, as well as "who cuts out an embryo out of its mother's womb the fastest" are so callous they won't ever give a damn about another species.

Yes, I'm aware it has been a while and this is not the general japanese populace, but the general populace obviously wasn't that horrified, or they wouldn't revere these guys as gods til today.

Japan always did their own thing regardless of what the rest of the world thinks, says, or wants.

You do realize that even an average Japanese person has never heard of that right? The Japanese government just like any other government is known for teaching only certain things in their curriculum and letting other things fade to the wind. And US soldiers did exactly the same exact things you listed here on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as did a lot of other countries during a time of war against their enemies. Your post just sort of reads " oh those horrible J*ps, don't give a fuck all of them. They're terrible."
    (Yes I am aware J*p is a slur which is why I censored it)
    I know you probably didn't mean it to be that way,but that's basically what it sounds like you're saying. Like because of something that happened the whole Japanese population is slime.