Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to be a Mermaid Classes & Camps

Thank you for getting to the bottom of it, I feel that you are actually in the best position to make those suggestions if you wish as you actually understand it all and have previously taken the class.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised by that answer. Honestly if someone is kind enough to show and teach you something you should respect them enough to at least not steal a client. This reminds me a little of how Alasea has helped me out so much in my journey to be a Mermaid, the way these wonderful women were willing to open up and show the public their secrets for the first time. I can't imagine for the life of me 'repaying' someone who has done me such a life changing favor by undercutting them and taking their hard earned clients. Especially in Florida where there is a substantially larger market for such things.

I suppose the only courses of actions to take are (1) hope they some day change their minds, (2) Take all the other trainings, (3) wait until of eligible age, or (4) apply to become a mermaid with them. Personally I hope to do #4 someday.

Also I remember reading some where that Mermaid Kariel also does mermaid classes, I didn't see any specific information on her website would anyone else have some information?
    Last edited by Mermaid Sirena; 12-29-2011 at 11:53 PM.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Oh, I wanted to be a mermaid with them. I'd be the happiest little person, making a living by swimming with the turtles and fish all day. Though you do gotta watch those turtles... they tend to mistake your ears and toes for bananas, which they love. Ouch. They're still adorable though

In any case, they were actually interested until they found out that I have a baby. It's a little unfair, but again, I do understand, and would probably have to rule the same if I were in their position... they can't have mermaids with such important commitments like that because that job is not one you can just call up a replacement for if your child gets sick all of a sudden. A call-out would result in a ruined show, so they can only have mermaids whose only commitment is their mermaid work. If only I'd discovered all of this before my mommy life started!

That is awsome! That's one thing I keep hearing is that children can slow you down and prevent a great many oportinites, though on the other hand they can provide many wonderful moments and oportunities with in them selves. I'm guessing they don't really have back up mer's do they? Any advice for ladies who would want to apply there?

No. No back-ups. I doubt they could afford to fund understudies. Unfortunately they don't get the funds they deserve. The state is cutting back even more. Last I heard, even their gift shop was having to close down. That's why even if I can't take their camp myself, I'll still be donating 1 camp fund to them each year. I think they are super important to the foundations and history of the mermaid community, so I want to do all I can to support them. April is my donation month

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I wthink it would be really cool to start a local mer camp! Maybe in the future...
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

man if i lived in florida..lol I have no kids and i am currently doing part time work, hell i;d jump in on that opportunity quick.

ive been to weeki watchee mermaid camp several times and i can truthfully say that they are running on just enough mermaids to do each show. seriously, if one goes missing, they have to stress out about finding her or calling up another mermaid who's supposed to have a day off to come up and join. or they have to make the little mermaid lose a sister. it was really sad. they need people badly. and this may seem a little concieted, but i want to help weeki watchee get enough money so they can 'buy themselves' back away from the state. i know it would take a lot but i think that if it worked, than it would be worth it
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Working at weeki wachee would be a wonderful opportunity and swim and perform in their mermaid shows. Making people smile and capturing children’s imaginations. I wish there was some kind of mermaid camp around the Denver area. I would defiantly go!

Quote Originally Posted by SireniaSolaris View Post
    Well, I did get to the bottom of it. I was initially going to keep it to myself, but I figured I'd shed an understanding light on it - apparently someone in her 20's did in fact take the camp when it was open to anyone, and right after that, went to a loacal aquarium where weeki wachee mermaids performed a show, undersold them and used her certification as credentials in order to do it. So, since someone used their own certification to steal one of their clients, they decided to not allow anyone the same age as their professional, working mermaids the opportunity that was so taken for granted.
    Thank you so much for sharing, I was really wondering about that. What a shame...though I had a hunch it was due to them not wanting to create competition for themselves. It's sad that they had an actual case of it though. I'm part of the belly dance community in my area and there are stories of girls undercutting each other for gigs--we all lose a little when that happens, overtime it drops the local going rate.

Do they figure 30 is to old to be a pro though? That's rough!

If you end up writing a letter, I would totally send one their way to, maybe I can add my perspective of understanding their situation as a performer. I'm sure my sis (also a dancer interested in the camp) would send one too.
    "It is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
    - President John F. Kennedy

I mean, I'm sure the more letters they get of interested people in the camp, also explaining alternatives (like a no compete contract) would help. And merLune, that's exactly my boat. Before I left South FL in 2007, I was always overbooked on weekend shows, as was pretty much everyone. Bellydance shows went for $200 for a 20 min show, and I had a show booked pretty much every hour on the weekends from about lunch time til late night. Then I went to Tallahassee for a few years, and when I came BACK - omg! There were so many new dancers here, all undercutting each other. It was horrible. The going rate had gone down to $150 per HOUR! To me, with everything that goes into the costuming, make up, music, and time to choreograph, it isn't even worth it to me anymore. That's why I only dance for hobby now, and not full time/professionally like I use to.

That's also why, as bad as it sounds, for damage control and damage prevention, the training program I'm creating is going to be very very strict as far as allowed work goes. People who go through, and complete the mermaid training and obtain a tail for work will have their own company cards to promote themselves, but work must be booked through the company. IF I end up creating a series of camps as well, there will be a non compete - likely an opportunity to join the company if one desires to do work in a "restricted area" per the non compete form. That would insure that our local mermaid rates (of $250/hr) is not harmed.

People just don't get it - a lot of people don't understand good ethics anymore, or just don't care about taking another person's client. And then some of the people who do, don't get the importance of maintaining value in the job market. So many people these days think anything over $10/hr is AMAZING!

My most popular service in my company is balloon twisting. Once upon a time (before the market crash), that service went for $300/hr. And people booked it left and right. Now it is only around $100/hr - 75 in my specific area. I was mortified when I found out one of the young girls I had taught was offering to do balloons at birthday parties for $30/hr!!!! And I had even told her what going rates were for parties prior to teaching her the trade.

If I begin contributing to mermaid lessons, I will NOT let that same tragedy happen with mermaid work.

SirenaSolaris I like you post and your statement and look forward to seeing what happens

Thanks. It just saddens me to see stuff like that happen - sometimes to the point of not wanting to do it anymore. That's why I really don't bellydance anymore. With what people caused it to go down to, it just isn't even worth it for me anymore, and so now I just do it for hobby.

I hear you, I know I have a passion and a business I eventually want to open but can't do in my area because the competition has undercut the price to the point that they can't run it well and anyone who tries to start something knew can't afford to keep it going and gets run off by their competition.

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes
    Dana Mermaid offers a Mer Experience as well as Mermaid Swim School: http://www.danamermaid.com/

Mermaid Kariel offers a Fins to Fitness course: http://mermaidkariel.com/

and in June of 2013 we have this to look forward to: http://seatails.org/content/mermaid-...raphy-workshop

Anyone send their letters to Weeki Wachee? Cause my grandmother dropped me a hint that if I got enough girls (around 15-18) who'd go during a certain weekend, they might make an exception and have a camp for us. We could set one up for next summer?
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

i wanna go....

I'm 22 and I would absolutely love to attend one of their mermaid camps. I wonder if they got enough people writing letters or expressing an interest, from the age group it's not available to, would they think again about starting something back up? Maybe not, but I've often thought about that.

Information added about Mermaid Kat's training.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Does anyone know if there are camps or pro mermaid In Bali? A Swiss friend of mine will be there on holiday and she recently confided that she always wanted to be a mer. Her mum wanted to call her Ariel but avoided the cliche. It would be a nice surprise / gift if there was a way to help her. She flies out there in 3-4 weeks

I'm afraid I've posted the only ones I know of.