Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a tail using 3D models

Making a tail using 3D models

It's been on my mind for a while, but ever since I've made and printed up patterns using Blender (a free 3D image program) I've been wondering if I could do a custom fit tail this way. I'll post my progress and all of the steps I use along the way, since it seems like it would be a million times easier for me. What I'm going to start with is getting a 3D model with the correct measurements for my hips and such, and you can easily do that with a program called MakeHuman. It let's you input all kinds of measurements so you can make a replica of yourself to dress up. After I get that done, I'll rig it (so I can easily move the limbs and such around), export it as a collada file, and then open it up in Blender and go from there. I'm currently on the MakeHuman step because my computer decided to randomly delete a bunch of my files so I'm currently doing a system restore and praying that I can get it all back. After I make and fit the tail in Blender, I'll add a texture. I'm thinking of adding a very faint vector scale pattern so I can "cheat" and get all the scales all lined up. XD I'll then make sure it's all the right size, and then upload it to a lovely website called fabricondemand.com. I'll have them print everything onto a yard of polyester lycra spandex, and I'll sew it all together when I get it in the mail. ^_^

Anyway, I want to eventually see if I can sell custom sized tail kits like this, for mers who want to paint their own tail but want a bit of help with fitting and the scales.
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    That is fucking brilliant. I've been trying to use software based tools to help with tailmaking, but this is taking it to a whole other level. I designed a scale sheet in inkscape and cut the foam sheets with a laser cutter, but my approach doesn't do anything to design the tail to be a 3d object. I didn't even know this sort of thing exists, but it seems like a great way to make a tail.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Sounds very unique and very COOL! Good luck!

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Cool! Sounds like it should work. Hope your printer is big enough .
    EDIT: Forget what I said about the printer, I should have read your post more thoroughly... That definitely should work.

Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

I think it would also be nifty to use a 3D printer and make flukes, too. ^_^
    Lyra the mermaid <3

...and now Make Human won't boot. XD It's really not my day.
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Well, I gave up on trying to make Make Human work, so I just grabbed a random female model and used that. ^_^ This is basically what it's gonna look like.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 591
Size:  70.0 KB
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Ok, this is going to be insane. Mermaids and technology colliding, so awesome!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Member North Pacific Pod Maclanahan's Avatar
    Follow Maclanahan On Twitter
    Follow Maclanahan on Tumblr
    Question, are yous sending the 3D model file to fabricondemand.com, or the texture map or just an image of the 3D model?

I'm sending the texture map. ^_^ I'm using the 3D model to fit it nicely and to match the scales up. My plan is that I want to be able to input measurements and get a custom printed tail where you just have to cut it out and sew it together!

I'm also going to be using the program to make my own fluke and scale mold for when I move up to silicone tails. ^_^ It's my goal to be able to make silicone tails as affordable and customizable as possible.
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Okay, so if I were to make it a feature to download the texture-map, would this program be of any help? http://danielheffley.com/3DViewer/

It would be a good way to figure out colors and such, and I bet I could find a way to mess around with the map and get you a good working pattern. ^_^ It kind of looks like the scales are part of the 3D model, so if you could find a way to grab that I could probably fix it so I can bake the shadows and such onto the texture.
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Actually, the scales are generated by a bump-map because modeling all of those scales would have been a very tedious nightmare.

Oh! That makes things tons easier then! XD
    Lyra the mermaid <3

I using Blender for taildesign too. But a different way. I create the models an than i use a CNC mill and 3D-Printer to create the molds. Its mutch more easy than making molds with clay and resin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    User formerly known as "NordNixe".

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aglaia View Post
    I using Blender for taildesign too. But a different way. I create the models an than i use a CNC mill and 3D-Printer to create the molds. Its mutch more easy than making molds with clay and resin.
    Wow, cool! Did you use your own 3D printer or did you ship it off? I want to use shapeways.com for all my 3D printing stuff. They have a strong and flexible plastic that I'm eyeballing as a possible monofin material. I'm just working out if it's going to be something I can use in the pool or if I have to coat it in silicone first, and I also want to design it so water can flow through parts of it to reduce drag.

I'm also trying to think of a way to make scale molds using Blender, but I think a better way might be to design a scale in blender, duplicate it a bunch of times and line them up, and then send them off to the 3D printing company to make. I'll use that to make a mold from, and I can always just order small bits of scales so I can see how well they turned out without having to buy a whole sheet. ^_^ They also offer maker discounts sometimes, and they currently have a deal going on where if you buy a basic material sample kit for 30 bucks, you also get a 25 dollar gift card! They have details on all the materials, like how tough they are, their flexibility, and how much detail they can show. The best part is that both the materials I want to play around with are super affordable and you can get the most amazing details out of them. The smallest embossed and engraved detail they say that shows up is 0.1 mm, and the thinnest they can print the material looks like about 0.3mm, although they recommend something a wee bit bigger because they loose a bit when cleaning it up.

Another nifty idea that I've been toying with is using the Kinect to do a 3D scan of my body and custom fit a top. ^_^ It's just sooooo cool how people can take things made for video games and hack them in such a way so they can get a million other uses out of them! The kinect senses depth, so along with 3D scanning, you can use it for robots! It helps them to identify and avoid obstacles, and they used to have to use bulky and expensive equipment to do that. Here is the website where you can download a free program that will do a 3D scan with the kinect: http://skanect.occipital.com I think you need an adapter for the kinect, so a bit of research would not hurt. Either way, making technologies like this affordable and available to the public just makes me sooooo happy because a lot of the most amazingly talented people I know lack funds to make their dreams a reality.

Like I mentioned before, it's my dream to make tails easier and less expensive to make, and more customizable so more mers can participate while adding their own personal style! I'm playing around with coding using some amazingly nifty API from bodylabs.com, and it will make it so you can input your measurements, see them on the 3D model, and then download the mesh with all the accurate measurements and everything! It's easier to deal with than MakeHuman, and MakeHuman disappointed me when I learned that you can't go over a certain body size, and they tend to be very small. I'm a US size 10, with 38 inch (96 cm) waist and I was hitting the end of the sliders and I don't think there was a way for me to go beyond that, although I might be wrong. Either way, it's Web based so you don't have to download anything other than the finished model, and you can embed it on a web page. ^_^

Hahaha, I wrote so much! XD This kind of stuff is my passion, obviously. ^_^ I'm still somewhat new to all this 3D stuff, so if anyone has anything to add or noticed that I gave wrong info somewhere, please please please post it!
    Lyra the mermaid <3

I'm making another post for my tail update because I didn't want it to get lost in my novel up there. XD

The bad news is that I'm giving up on MakeHuman due to sizing limitations and I just can't get it to work. It stopped working after I did the system restore, so that's probably what did it in.

The good news is that I found my copy of Marvelous Designer!!! I thought I lost it a while ago and I was so upset because it's an amazing program where you make patterns and they show up in a 3D environment, and you can use a model (I think you can customize the size) with it and even see what it would look like made from different fabrics. ^_^

I just woke up, and with a migraine no less (that's what I get for clenching my teeth), so I don't have any more progress photos just yet.
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Looks like it does! Woo!
    Name:  Untitleds.png
Views: 804
Size:  209.9 KB
    Lyra the mermaid <3

Now that I've gotten this far, I'm gonna take a quick break. The hardest part is making sure everything is the right size before I go and print it on fabric.

Name:  2.png
Views: 572
Size:  310.2 KB
    Lyra the mermaid <3

The SeaGlass Siren