Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non-Mer Cosplay Thread

oh goodness, I have quite a few ridiculous pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Photoshopped background of me as Utena(white manga artbook prince/duelist uniform variation) with a plastic sword from Party City and my bestie Lisa dressed as a variation of Kiss The Girl Ariel based on a collectible doll. Now Utena has a princess to protect

Me(as Alice in an official Disney costume), Elsa, and Anna admiring each others' dresses at a Halloween event at a church

An older shot of me as Alice, showing off all the prints of the Disney animated class I own, VHS and DVD
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merdude Ricky's Avatar
    My Super Boy costume. Actually went to see Avengers 2 with my friend like this. He was dressed as Nightwing. Everyone was confused and wondered why we dressed as DC when the movie is Marvel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Formerly known as FishyRicky

Lol who cares what they're from? SUPERHEROS UNITTTTEEE!!!
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Okay, this might be a dumb question, but I've been wanting to ask it for a long time and this thread seems the perfect place. In cosplay, is it expected that you replicate/represent a character from a specific comic/movie/book/show or can you make up something of your own? i.e. a screen accurate Sailor Moon is obviously something seen in cosplay, but if I made an awesome (but completely my own) superhero character, is that something that's done?

(Don't judge me. )

Name:  cosplay.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  26.3 KB

People cosplay their own characters all the time, I'm cosplaying at mcm scotland as my own character again this year.

Name:  10629750_10152280690058016_2969651897813042841_n - Edited.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  42.4 KB

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Theta's Avatar
    Follow Theta On Twitter Add Theta on Facebook
    Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Okay, this might be a dumb question, but I've been wanting to ask it for a long time and this thread seems the perfect place. In cosplay, is it expected that you replicate/represent a character from a specific comic/movie/book/show or can you make up something of your own? i.e. a screen accurate Sailor Moon is obviously something seen in cosplay, but if I made an awesome (but completely my own) superhero character, is that something that's done?

(Don't judge me. )
    Both. Cosplay, at its core, is a free-for-all. It's literally short for "costume play" so essentially, anyone with a mermaid tail is a cosplayer. Where you get into some of the categorical stuff is in competition- at some cons, you have to shoot for screen-accurate versions of established characters in one class; another class could be one in which you need to have made everything yourself; another could be original characters; another could be different takes on established characters (think Zombie Disney Princesses, or Steampunk Disney Princesses.) Competitions are the only places I've really seen hard and fast lines drawn. Anywhere else, do whatever you want The best cons are ones that have a good mix- Lolita, Steampunk, established characters, etc.

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Justice League Unlimited Black Canary

Name:  1235988_334197520057655_1837996870_n.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  72.5 KB

Bombshell Black Canary
    (fun story about this one; I barfed all the way back to the hotel- it was a walk of shame to remember)

Name:  10628402_10152457022858513_4833686411537614496_n.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  100.2 KB

Blackest Night Black Canary
    (in a freakin' Stingray)

Name:  10624608_10152457023883513_7140417051585288533_n.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  78.6 KB

Numberwang

Name:  10385290_10152348070248513_1765170583044969200_n.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  29.5 KB

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    GOOD TO KNOW! THANK YOU!!!!!
    Happy to help! Here's a list of the contest rules at one of the cons I go to. You can kind of get the idea of how things are categorized from it.

http://ohayocon.org/cosplay-competition-rules/

In the hallways, out of competition- literally anything goes. I have seen some shit, let me tell you.

The only thing I wouldn't consider cosplay are Halloween costumes, although they can be used in cosplay. Does that make sense?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Yes, that makes perfect sense!

I'd been hesitant about developing a mersona for cosplay, and now I can see that it would be perfectly appropriate!

Now if only I had the time!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Name:  IMG_2620.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  140.8 KB
    This is me in my My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic/Star Trek: The original series crossplay/cosplay. I'm Lt Pinkie Pie, the cruise director.

Loving all these cosplays! I want to start cosplaying so badly (most LOTR and the Hobbit characters, since those are my favorite movies and books of all time!)
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Oh my gosh, everyone's stuff is awesome! I love the crossover Star Trek costume, Sherielle. Too cute, and I'm loving the volume you got in that wig!

Here are some Adventure time props I've made:
    Name:  axe_bass_by_thepessimistress-d77upcq.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  50.1 KB
    Name:  1937464_1574132682816033_8563097125077896678_n.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  89.2 KB

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirenia View Post
    Loving all these cosplays! I want to start cosplaying so badly (most LOTR and the Hobbit characters, since those are my favorite movies and books of all time!)
    You totally should! My first real cosplay was Arwen, and it was such a simple outfit to make- just a bunch of sheets of fabric tied together, essentially. Except I ran out of fabric halfway through, hence the short first layer.

Name:  226845_20749253512_704_n.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  230785_20749273512_1473_n.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  56.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    You totally should! My first real cosplay was Arwen, and it was such a simple outfit to make- just a bunch of sheets of fabric tied together, essentially. Except I ran out of fabric halfway through, hence the short first layer.

Name:  226845_20749253512_704_n.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  230785_20749273512_1473_n.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  56.9 KB
    That's awesome!! One of my favorite dresses of hers! I have one of her other dresses (which will probably be my first cosplay), but I REALLY want to cosplay in her outfit from the flight to the Ford

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    That's awesome!! One of my favorite dresses of hers! I have one of her other dresses (which will probably be my first cosplay), but I REALLY want to cosplay in her outfit from the flight to the Ford
    Ooooooh that's one of my favorites!!! I always wanted to adapt that coat into an every day winter coat. Oh man. Which dress of hers do you have if you don't mind my asking? I always wanted to do her navy/red sleeve dress, and her blue/silver, but never got a chance to do it. I also deconstructed her coronation tiara to design what would have been possibly the nerdiest tramp stamp tattoo of all time, but didn't do that either.

It's been years but Arwen still makes me totally flail.

Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Ooooooh that's one of my favorites!!! I always wanted to adapt that coat into an every day winter coat. Oh man. Which dress of hers do you have if you don't mind my asking? I always wanted to do her navy/red sleeve dress, and her blue/silver, but never got a chance to do it. I also deconstructed her coronation tiara to design what would have been possibly the nerdiest tramp stamp tattoo of all time, but didn't do that either.

It's been years but Arwen still makes me totally flail.
    I have the navy/red sleeve dress I also have the evenstar necklace that I wear all the time haha

Follow Theta on Tumblr
    I have the navy/red sleeve dress I also have the evenstar necklace that I wear all the time haha
    AWESOME OMG

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodea the Mermaid View Post
    Oh my gosh, everyone's stuff is awesome! I love the crossover Star Trek costume, Sherielle. Too cute, and I'm loving the volume you got in that wig!
    Thank you! I get so many compliments when I wear that wig. The color is just electric!