Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What to charge???

Senior Member Pod of Oceania
    Add Mermaid Stardust on Facebook

What to charge???

I'm really hoping that you can help. I have looked briefly on the forums but haven't come across any clear cut answers to this question (if you know of any please link me as I may have just missed it).
    I'm sure that other merfolk (especially those starting out or turning professional) would like this information too.

I have festivals and events coming up again soon where I am required to meet and greet the kids and also swimming and general entertaining (so some dry events only, and some wet and dry events).

I have done this before, but was recently told that I was UNDERcharging for my services (and found out later at one event that the other mermaids got paid 3 times the amount I charged, when I was on the whole day and they only a few hours so as you can tell I was a little bugged but on the upside I got to have a lot more fun)

I'm aware that privacy on how much people earn is important, but a VERY ROUGH 'ROUND-A-BOUT' STARTING BASE RATE PER/HOUR would be REALLY helpful. (not including Travel Expenses, Insurance, wear and tear).

also:
    Do you charge extra for swimming at events? ie. tank performances etc..
    Do you offer a discount for subsequent days booked? (ie. 2-3 day festivals)
    Were you happy to do free or very discounted events just to help promote. (or did you still charge a minimum fee?)

Please note that I am not money hungry in any way, just want a fair deal (and yes, I do a lot of free performances)

On a side note: Did you charge more with a professional silicone tail than a fabric tail. Not that I'm comparing...as I have both and love them equally, just curious if upp'ing the rates when in a more expensive tail was the done thing.

p.s - this question is NOT to do with childrens parties, just festivals and events.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I charge an hourly rate for events but if they go past 4 hours I charge a day rate. First hour is the most expensive and following hours a little less. I charge more for a second mermaids and more for handouts.

Find out what your local mermaids are charging and start there!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I have a party princess Biz, and I charge $75 per character per hour then $50 for 1/2 hour (minimum of 1 hour per character)
    For 2 characters I have a special of $125 /hr
    I also charge a traveling fee if I am going anywhere further than 20 miles.

I've also been struggling with this same thing.... I think because my tail isn't silicone I don't charge much. But currently I charge an hourly rate then if they want gift bags etc, I have an upcharge and party over 20 kids is another upcharge. How do you guys decide travel costs?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Rachel
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidRachelNola
    @mermaidrachelnola

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    I remember reading on threads that you should check out what other local mermaids or princess parties are charging in your area and base it in that ballpark since you don't want to undercut people or sell yourself short. I'm assuming a meet-and-greet type event is a little more informal and therefore would charge less than a birthday party, but I'm not sure how people price it. It sounds like AniaR's suggestion about charging for a package or a full day over 4 hours is good (especially for a festival-type event where even though it's a meet and greet, you may have a constant stream of people talking to you which can be very tiring to keep in character and be in a tail for that long). As for travel costs, I would say look up how far it is and your car's MPG and figure out approx how much gas money it would take? I think some people factor that into the cost and others only charge for travel fees specifically when it's over a certain distance.