Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tester needed (Free Clam Bra!)

Tester needed (Free Clam Bra!)

Ok, I lied, it's not a clam bra. It's this one:

Name:  purple.jpg
Views: 4740
Size:  40.2 KB

But it is free!

Here's the scoop: I'd like to sell these on Etsy to fashionable mermaids looking for something other than the "found object and fishnet" style bra, or matching silicone scaly tops. Nothing against those, they're lovely! Just not to my taste, and I'm sure there are other mers out there who just want to go for something a little different. So I've put my 10 years of bellydance costuming to use and created a completely hand-sewn design that is both affordable and durable enough for chlorine, salt water, or even the Monongahela River (OK, maybe not the last one). Not a drop of glue here-- everything is hand sewn using very tough filament thread. Also, no plastic! All the beads are either shell or glass or polished stones. It's heavy and luscious and dripping with luxury! This particular bra design would retail in my shop for $195.

So why am I giving this beauty away? Two reasons. First, a practical one: I want to ensure they're as durable as I think they are, so I need a tester who will swim with it regularly and simply wear the heck out of it. I send you this for free, you beat it up, and you take pics after a few months to show me how it's holding up. Treat it as you would a normal bra: rinse and drip-dry after use, and hand wash (only if you have to) with a mild detergent like Woolite. The second reason is that this particular bra had push-up padding inside. Apparently that padding contained a gel-like substance that got pierced by my beading needle and is now staining the fabric. Of course I only noticed this out AFTER the entire bra was complete. Rather than pick apart the hours of beading and redo it, and not feeling right about selling it with this small but significant problem, I decided to give it to a tester. (I'll line it first. I have no idea what the goo is, but it is coming from a standard commercial bra that had no warning labels about harmful materials inside, so I'm assuming it's harmless to skin.) The stain's more noticeable in photos, with the flash, than in person. Unless someone has their nose in your cleavage, it's not at all obvious especially with the beaded swags above. And I'll finish trimming those little threads on the ends of the fringes, too...oops!

Interested? Reply below. It's a 36B, with original straps still attached. Normally I'd take them off and replace them with something more decorative, but I didn't for this one after noticing the goo. I can still do that if you want, for a small fee, but it won't be as adjustable after that; you'd have to alter it yourself. With heavily decorated bras, I generally recommend that you go for a bra one cup size larger than you are-- so I'd recommend you be a size A or a small B.

I'll pay for shipping from Pittsburgh (unless you're international, in which case I'll ask you to pitch in half. This isn't a light top). Your ONLY obligation is to wear it as often as you can, and send me detailed pictures after 2-3 months of heavy use. You keep it forever! The feedback's part of the deal, so please take it seriously. If there's more than one interested person, I'll choose by lottery.

Oh-- and if you want one of these to match your tail, let me know! I'm planning on making these with matching belts-- sturdy beaded bands designed to snug up and hide gapping waistlines of tails, with optional silicone backing for a better grip. As soon as I have tested my belt design on my own tail, that is! Or heck, you could wear them as professional-quality bellydance costumes. They don't have quite as much sparkle without the sequins and rhinestones, but they'll hold up to the harshest shimmies, I guarantee. I have two others on hand, one completed bra in hot pink (size 36A) and one blue morpho-themed bra (36C) in progress.
    Last edited by Dancing Fish; 08-25-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    It's beautiful! I'd volunteer but I am too chesty.

Junior Member Euro Pod Alcyonsa's Avatar

Follow Alcyonsa on Tumblr
    It looks really pretty! Maybe you could use some fishnets as straps to make those Custom Tops look better? Just an Idea. I have a much bigger chest else Id love to test it love the scale design!

Thanks!

As a bigger-chested mer myself, I add spandex between the cups for a slightly less cleavage-y look. But I can also make a halter top with even more coverage, whatever you like! I just made this one as a sample of my beadwork. I suppose one could add netting, though if you're going for "couture mermaid" you might as well go all out and use something sparklier! (I'd make it myself out of decorative cord and weave beads into the mesh, but that's my love of bling talking...)
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I am a 36a-b (more "a" then b) I think this would fit me perfectly and I would definitely give plenty of feedback! I have a silicone tail and swim in it atleast once a week to practice. @dancing fish I am very interested in being your tester

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    And I'm a 36B just sayin'

Morpho Blue would go with my fabric/silicone hybrid WIP. My daughter (36C) may be wearing this tail at this year's World Makers Faire in NYC at the end of next month...I got lots of press last year, I'll be happy to include you in this year's array!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    And I'm a 36B just sayin'

Morpho Blue would go with my fabric/silicone hybrid WIP. My daughter (36C) may be wearing this tail at this year's World Makers Faire in NYC at the end of next month...I got lots of press last year, I'll be happy to include you in this year's array!
    Would you believe these colors were inspired by your purple tail? Do you want to see the blue one?

Pearlie encouraged me to make these...she's awesome!
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    You are so sweet!

I'd love to see it!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    I would love to test... But I'm a 40DDD. Let me know if you ever need any bigger testers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

You do such beautiful work. And damn that goo. I have run into that myself with bellydance bras.
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAine View Post
    You do such beautiful work. And damn that goo. I have run into that myself with bellydance bras.
    Thanks! I'm relieved to hear others have had this problem. I don't normally use push up bras, ever. Being somewhat...um...asymmetrical, I usually pad one side with regular cotton batting.
    Follow me on Facebook

What is the name of the thread your using? I want to make a sequins scale top but I'm afraid of using plastic thread because it'll disintegrate eventually. Any ideas?

It's Wildfire beading thread, found in the beading section of craft stores. It'll run you $10-15 per spool but it's worth it! I've been using the 0.6mm thread. I've also used heavy-duty upholstery thread in the past. The only issue is that both of these only come in two colors: black and white. A lot of dancers also recommend dental floss, but I haven't found it to be any stronger-- you can bite through floss, but not Wildfire! Fishing line is also used, though it's harder to work with, especially harder to knot. The Wildfire is the best, strongest thread I've found that also fits through the eeeeeeety-bitty skinny hole in my beading needle with a minimum of unraveling and fuss, necessary for a lot of the bitty pearls and beads. The downside is that swags and fringe made with these stronger threads end up a little stiffer.
    Follow me on Facebook

This is such beautiful work!! I'm a 36 small B but I'm afraid I'm probably not hard enough on tops to get you a proper test result. I look forward to hearing how you progress on the sales!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Beautiful! Wouldn't fit me in a million years but I like it! I have a glue-and-diy top similar to this actually. So comfy compared to shells.

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    It would fit me perfectly, and I would love to do it, but unfortunately after next week I won't have access to a pool for many months good luck with finding someone!

It's gorgeous!! Whenever I see stuff like this I wish I was a smaller bra size. And I'm so glad I read this because I would never have thought about goo being in bras. Thank you!

Ohh I just might have to take another trip to the craft store! Thanks dancing fish!

Tester needed (Free Clam Bra!)

I would LOVE to test! Im a 36B!
    I might be on the larger size of the B, but that might be good for testing stretch

I'm available to test it out! 36 B would fit me quite well
    I have a purple mertailor eco tail and I was planning on doing a Photoshoot soon too!
    Fairy magic is real!
    When Mermanda has her legs she creates coture gowns and bodices fit for the faerie queen herself.
    Come and take a peak inside a closet in the Fea realm here:
    Facebook.com/Amandakcosplay

Etsy shop