Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on my Mertailor tail?

Questions on my Mertailor tail?

I got my tail from Mertailor and it doesn't fit. The hip part is on my thigh and it barely even covers my bum when it should be over my belly button. I remeasured everything on myself and on my tail and its all the same as the measurments I sent him. After emailing with him he keeps telling me its not pulled up all the way when there is no way it can go up any further and even when I put it on in the water it sits this low. Also my fluke is floppy. Its like theres no monofin in it. Ive looked up tails like mine and everyones sticks up. Mine just hangs. Here are some pictures. Does anyone know what to do or did anyone have the same issues?
    Name:  11938012_847015392079530_1649002446_n (1).jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  62.2 KBName:  11950754_847015388746197_1929324135_n.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  84.4 KBName:  11953277_845733578874378_2642207515507564438_n.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  39.8 KB

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    That is odd. Is there a wrinkle at your ankles or anything? And are there foot pockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look like there is a bit more you could pull it up from the 1st picture. See where all the wrinkles are? You can pull those out and gain some height- that takes practice and a lot of lubrication. What are you using to get it on? But yeah even with that bit it looks like it still wouldn't come up over your belly button. But try getting all the wrinkles out and see how high it comes up, if it would at least cover your bum a bit more.
    You have really long nails, be sure NOT to use your nails to pull it up. Either clip the nails off (I always cut mine really short now for that reason) or use a towel and be very careful. Nails can go right through the silicone if you're not careful.

Also yeah... the fluke should be rigid in the part where it's flopping. Look at and feel the fluke, feel for where the monofin blade is (he makes his own). Maybe take a photo where you can feel the blade is, or if it has one at all.

Sorry your tail doesn't fit After you get the wrinkles out that's as high as it will go. Any more and you'd have to send it back to him to add more on the top of the tail (if he does that kind of thing at all- you'd have to ask). Such a bummer.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    It should be obvious whether or not it has a monofin. Feel the fluke, there should be something hard inside it. When you put the tail on, your feet should slide into foot pockets with an adjustable ankle strap. I can't tell from your picture whether it has a monofin in it or not, but some fluke shapes are "floppier" than others.

As far as the tail being short, most Mertailor tails I've seen/worn have ended right at the belly button. He tends to make them a bit lower than some other tailmakers. However, make sure you're lubed up well and use the pinch/pull method at the sides of your tail and you should be able to at least get it to your navel.

All I can think of is that your feet aren't in the foot pockets of the fin... I'm assuming it has pockets?

Yeah in the water my boyfriend and I get all the wrinkles out. And it still sits under my hips. The widest part of my tail is on my thighs which causes extra material on the sides since it's supposed to be around my hips. It's almost like my tail is too short for my body. There are foot pockets but the hard part end right where the scales end causing my entire fluke be a huge floppy piece of silicone. I don't think he can build up on it so I'm honestly crushed. I saved up for a year and spent 3200 on my tail. I keep emailing him but he's not taking my word for it not fitting. I don't know what to do.

Name:  11950775_847026588745077_1747050517_n.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  82.1 KB
    This is where the hard part ends.

That's not right at all. You need to get advice on seeking a refund or replacement. There should be a monofin most of the way down the fluke.

I've been talking to him about size and everything and I think he's just getting mad cause I keep bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanora View Post
    I've been talking to him about size and everything and I think he's just getting mad cause I keep bothering him.
    you should write a review and a video and make them public. That might give him enough attention if he wants to save his reputation.

This is wrong, period. YOU SHOULD GET SOMETHING YOU PAID FOR.

I'm litterly in tears. I know he's getting sick of hearing from me everyday. And I know he has a strict no refund policy. So now I'm stuck with this thing that I can't use or do anything with. I might as well throw it in the dumpster.

Honestly forget the sizing for now. The monofin is unsafe and not what you ordered. There's no wiggle room on that.

Just an idea but, maybe make a video to show us and him how the fluke moves and maybe how it's being put on? That way no one can say it's just you doing something wrong, you've got proof that it's the tail and not you. Hard to deny that.

MerNation Emergency Clinic may be able to fix it, they've worked on Mertailor tails before. Shoot them an email and maybe see what can be done?
    Mermaids&Anchors

There's nothing I can do I emailed him but he's going to tell me all tails are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanora View Post
    So now I'm stuck with this thing that I can't use or do anything with. I might as well throw it in the dumpster.
    Whatever happens, DO NOT throw it in the dumpster. Worst case of scenario, if this tail can't be put on you, it might for someone else willing to buy it. That way, you might get most of the money back.

Add Meronica on Facebook
    Do you still have the measurements that you sent him? It's possible you could have gained a little weight in the stomach/booty area and it's causing the tight fit. Compare the widths/lengths to what you sent him.

As for the monofin, I have no idea why he would cut it like that. :/ Have you messaged him about the monofin? I don't see why he would intentionally make your tail unswimmable.

Add Meronica on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    Whatever happens, DO NOT throw it in the dumpster. Worst case of scenario, if this tail can't be put on you, it might for someone else willing to buy it. That way, you might get most of the money back.
    ^^^ This. It can still be used as a lovely photo prop and if it can't be fixed you can at least sell it to earn some of your money back.

nope, i second Merman Arion, a very public review is needed. Don't look at spending more money to get this corrected. Lots of photos - if you can take a picture in a clear pool of the unsupported fluke, that can help draw attention to the issue. He's had customer service issues in the past, I think drawing attention to your concerns is the best first step.

I stayed the same weight. Even losing 10 pound wont pull it up 6 inches. Heres the fluke...Name:  11938095_847041012076968_78512894_n.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  70.9 KB