Thread: the Making of the MerFanc

the Making of the MerFanc

hey all! I am brand new to mer-ing and tailmaking and anything of the sort but I really wanted to chronicle my journey from the beginning. While I hope to someday get a gorgeous silicone tail, I cannot afford it now and I want to make sure I like this whole adventure before dropping what would be money for a car on a tail. I also really want to incorporate some things into the tail that can't necessarily be done with silicone so I think a fabric one is a good start anyway.

Before I begin I want to tell you a bit about my dream and my vision. So if you don't know what a merFanc is, well that's ok because it doesn't exist. but the Afanc (or Adanc or Addac or any other number of odd translations) is a highly misunderstood Welsh mythological lake monster. The Afanc was just happily minding his own business one day - having fun, splashing in his lake, hanging with his fish buddies - when a few dwarfs came to his lake side. Confused and angry at the trespassing, the Afanc tried to go and politely ask them to leave. But instead, they freaking tased him (ok not really) then chained him up and dragged him behind an ox-drawn cart before dumping him in some random lake at the top of a lonely and sad mountain where he didn't get to have any fishy friends.

Ok so that might not be the whole truth. But it's my truth and thats what matters. Anywho, I discovered the Afanc around a year ago now and I just completely fell in love with absolutely everything about him and his story. Ever since, I have been using the Afanc as an alias all over the internet. It is my Cosplay handle, my Etsy shop name, my Lets Play/Youtube channel and my SCA Heraldry is even my own chimera version of the Afanc.

I am currently working on sketching up a design or two for my tail and while I really can't wait to get started, I am completely unemployed (unless y'all want to check out my Etsy at AfancsLake and buy some stuff to help me pay rent and make a tail!) so my tail is really just in the design and concept stage. But I wanted to start this tail early because it so unique and if I didn't make it internet real I probably wouldn't ever work on it XD so, I am hoping to work on this whole thing slowly put surly and got at it whenever I have the plans.

Here are some artist renderings and ideas of what the Afanc looks like:
    http://sakitaro.deviantart.com/art/A...fanc-440764228
    http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140722165419
    http://www.geoartcache.com/uploads/5...432928.jpg?205
    http://k38.kn3.net/taringa/2/2/4/2/3...a/31C.jpg?1495
    http://orig07.deviantart.net/9e13/f/...oter__andy.png
    http://www.lindwurm.jp/eldersign/img2/144_afanc_0g1.jpg
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...es/5/50/29.png

I am hoping do something similar to the selkie tails around the group, using a flat monofin to create a fuzzy brown beaver tail and then continuing the tail up into a long-sleeved turtleneck unitard. The tail will also have green patches of scales and spikes like the sixth photo above. I want to make webbed gloves to be more realistic and to help with the swimming. While I would love to be a pro Mer, I don't live in the place for it and I really doubt I would be pretty enough to heir as a mermaid and I don't think anyone wants a lake monster at their parties. But should I ever feel like randomly dressing up, I would like to figure out how to have giant prosthetic beaver and saber teeth as well as ears and a snout.

I am also designing the mechanics needed for a sharktail and will chronicle all that in a different post. But now I will go draw some tail desings and upload them when I have decided they aren't terrible and need to be burned.

MerFanc out.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    theAfancsLake - Etsy Shop!
    user formerly known as theAfanc

Really interesting design, I'm kinda seeing a selkie type design! Good luck
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

WOW my device is really huge >.<

Thanks! I have been suggested to look at selkie designs and that's where i found the fabric. I originally wanted to do the tail in fur as well as the whole body so I could be furry outside of the water but I got accused of being suicidal... So velvet stuff it is! My plan is to eventually have a multi-part suit. A torso and head that I can wear out of the water that is separate from my furry digigrade hooved legs for out of water Cons and furmeets and the like. And a mertail that can be worn instead of the pants for photoshoots or cons where I can have a wheelchair. And then I can take off the torso and head and have the slekie bodysuit for actual swimming! If I didn't mention this is a long term project, I am doing so now.

The sixth photo is definitely my fave.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

That is the one I use on most sites as my avatar It's always been my favorite as well and where I will be drawing a lot of my inspiration from. He isn't fuzzy or wolf like in any other depictions but I really like it. So I plan to have a face and head pretty much exactly like that one for the fursuit and I want big clawed forepaws!

EDIT: Totally disregard that I counted wrong and thought you meant the last one >.> But the sixth is definitely my second favorite and most of the tail design will be based off that one. So you know, the important parts for this thread and community XD

OK PEEPS! I am really happy right now. I sketched out my tail and I think I might be in love. We are going to go on a few dates before we make it official though. Don't want to jump into anything to serious here.

This first photo is the outline only with no colours. I was scared to colour it in case I didn't like the colours so I scanned it first so I could reprint it or something, Which is dumb because it wasn't that hard to draw.....
    The first tail was a quick sketch of a 'normal' fluke and body shape so I can figure out what I wanted. The second is the back of my tail design with the rounded paddle fluke. It has spikes up the back and the large spikes in black ink are the definite ones, the small spikes in blue are maybes. I'm not sure if I like them or not and would love y'alls opinions! The third is obviously the front...
    Name:  MerFanc Tail.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  368.4 KB

This second image is the one I coloured. The colours don't come through great on my scanner so the spikes are all a dark forest green, like the typical cartoon or drawing colour of a gator. The rest of the tail and the suit itself is a dark brown. I really feel like brown is an under-rated colour in pretty much everything so I try to use it as much as possible. I am debating making the spikes more blue like the fur in the sixth picture in my first post but I'm not sure :/
    Name:  Coloured MerFanc Tail.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  564.5 KB

Overall I am really happy with my first design attempt. I want to work with the paddle shape a bit more. I like it long but I want it to be more rounded out like a beaver tail. I also messed up the inking on the tail spikes on the third one but the goal is to have a basic shape then all of the spikes come out from it while retaining the roundey-ness.

SO! What are all-y'all's thoughts? I am not an artist by any means and in fact, i have been terrified to pick up a non-coloured pencil for the last few years so this is a huge step for me >.< So please dear gods don't criticize my actual art work >.> but any ideas on the design itself are mucho appreciated. Would a tail this shape even work <.< Can I cut a monofin to that shape and still get good propulsion?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    In regards to the fluke, you can definitely get good propulsion. The Finis wave/rapid is almost that shape anyway.

I like brown and green together, but a little bit of blue as well IMO would make it look even more like a water creature - you often find mud so black it is blue in creeks etc.

Yea, I wanted to maybe decorate the finished tail with like mossy patches or something since he sleeps underwater and really doesn't exist much outside of the lake so i though moss would be a cute accessory. I mite make the pelvic spoke blue? Or maybe the fluke blue with green spikes and brown for the rest of the tail. Although that might be a harsh shift... So if I decide to do the spikes in silicone, maybe I can make them in a range of greens and blues and sort of gradient them through the length of the tail. That could look really nice

I am sort of struggling between being a gorgeous graceful water creature and a stocky, murky water dwelling beast...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by theAfanc View Post
    I am sort of struggling between being a gorgeous graceful water creature and a stocky, murky water dwelling beast...
    ¿por qué no los dos?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kelda View Post
    ¿por qué no los dos?
    Je ne compromd pas...

Wo bu xue Xibanya yuyan.

But I think I can guess at what you said...I do t think I can be a gorgeous and elegant lake monster from the deeps of the gross lake xD. Those things just seem to clash for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I would go for elegant tail, murky accessories. I think tail-anklets are underused and would help add some removable murk if you made something mossy and stuff to clip around the ankle part of your tail. Plus a belt, top, bracelets... I just love accessories *u*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk