Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Kalani's Hybrid Tail Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    This is just becoming way more better than expected. I know it off topic but your signature fits you very well.
    Thank you! To both I forgot where I heard the quote, but it's always just been in my head. I find that whenever I change my avatar I change the color of the quote to match, so expect it to be gold or green next
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Name:  IMG_8488.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  87.9 KB

Those colors and that shine Yess! First coat of paint to blend the green and gold scales, and I think I'll only need a light coat for the second.
    I need to get my carp together and get those fins done. That's the last thing I need to do before I finish up the fluke and I'll be done.
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    It looks already done with that shine I can't wait to hear how well it swims.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

wow this is a fun tail! I love the different shape of the scales! Great colors! Can't wait to see more progress!

For anyone wondering, the paint is very stretchy, and returns to it's original shape very well if in thick layers. The green paint is super thick (I changed the color like 46 different times) but the gold is much thinner. On the inside of the tail beneath the gold I think I will use a thick, less stretchy fabric layer to thicken that up a bit so everything stretches and bends in unity.

I'm sure I'll only have a couple of years with this tail at most because I've been losing weight and it will inevitably stretch out like a latex tail at some point (it is a latex-based paint). Next time I make a tail like this, I will use neoprene to prolong it's life.

Side note; the next tail I make might be a silicone tail. Going back and forth on that one... I have a toolmaker in mind whom I'd love to commission but I think I might be able to give it a go
    Last edited by Ashe; 03-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    formerly known as Kalani

Also, I may or may not have turned my tail into a glitter bomb. Hm.
    formerly known as Kalani

Finally got some time to work on my tail just a bit! I reinforced the inside of the knee area with a couple of thick coats of the paint, so it won't stretch as much when I swim.

And finally working on those fins! Here's a little sneak peak. The pelvic and ventral fins will be made with a non-stretch fabric because I know kiddos might be tugging on them a bit, but the dorsals will be made with spandex so it will stretch with my movements.

Name:  IMG_9055.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  88.5 KB
    formerly known as Kalani

Wow. You definitely have more determination to get this done than I think I would. Knowing me, I probably would have been super pumped to start it, then after coming across a problem I'd be like "Oh, well maybe I should take a break from it until I can figure that out," and then I would forget about it and find it somewhere in the next decade.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Haha! Believe me Aurora, this tail has been a wacky adventure of ups and downs.

However... my sewing machine broke Not sure exactly what and how, but something to do with the bobbin track. Gah, well I'll continue working on my fins and see if I can run over to my friend's tomorrow and mooch off of her sewing machine.
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Hey Kalani, let me know if you need to run this through a machine still come the weekend. My machine is always open to you.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Hey thanks! But it looks like I'll be good. My goal is to be adding the finishing touches by the time the weekend is over.
    formerly known as Kalani

Well I went for two dorsals because heck it. As I said in my post about seams, I love fish anatomy and I draw most mermaids will all of the proper fins. So I have pectorals, ventrals, a primary fluke and secondary fluke. Leaving out that anal fin cause ehhhhh it just wouldn't look right wth a fluke instead of a caudal fin. But here are my two dorsals in progress and then up top you can see the progress on one of my pectorals. That one should only need a couple of more coats of paint and then I can detail it.

Name:  IMG_9065.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  93.3 KB

Edit: Phew, that's a funky looking angle. The two dorsals are much more proportionate in real life.
    formerly known as Kalani

Have some fin progress pics! Going to get these done tonight, and see if I can start sewing them in if I get off of work early.

Name:  IMG_9453.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  77.2 KB
    formerly known as Kalani

I love the gradient on the fins! Super pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just going to leave this one here and call it a night
    Name:  IMG_9456.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  99.0 KB
    formerly known as Kalani

OMG! So SHINY!!!! D

I love your tail!!

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Isn't it fun??

Realistically, I think the only problem with this tail will be stretching after a season or two. It is a latex based paint after all and is on a spandex base. But who knows, maybe there won't be an issue at all! So close to finishing this up, and just in time for spring break
    formerly known as Kalani

Shout out to my friend Julia and her magical sewing machine! We are just about there, boys.

Name:  IMG_9465.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  56.6 KB
    formerly known as Kalani

So I tried on my unfinished tail the other day and I LOVE IT. Definitely tough to get on because of the thickness and all of the fins, but with a little bit of coconut oil and determination, I was able to do it. I was on a call so I sat in my tail (getting glitter everywhere) for a good half hour or so. When I took it off again, there was no issue with the paint stretching. It just shrunk right back to normal!

So tonight I started the final coats of paint on the fluke. I put simple veining on it just like the fins and slathering it in gold paint. Unless zombies take over, I should have this done by tomorrow! (Heck, even if zombies took over I would still finish this baby up).

I'll have to wait three days before I can immerse the paint in water, so I'm planning a little beach photo shoot on Wednesday or Thursday
    formerly known as Kalani

Guess who finished their tail??? It's me!

I had a great time making this and I love how it turned out. Now I'm just waiting for everything to completely cure so I can take it to the beach in a couple of days! I made a little video giving you a quick look at the finished product. It was getting cold and windy so I bailed haha. Enjoy!

formerly known as Kalani