Thread: Hello Sacramento!

Junior Member Pod of Cali

Hello Sacramento!

I am so happy to say that after lots of time and effort, my tail is in its final stages of development ♡♡♡
    I was going to wait until it was all finished, but I just cant! I want to meet fellow local Mer People! So who is around Sacramento? And are there any other groups, pages, or events I should know about?

Thank you!
    Mermaid Anahita

Welcome to the pod! Here is our Facebook
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Anahita View Post
    I am so happy to say that after lots of time and effort, my tail is in its final stages of development ♡♡♡
    I was going to wait until it was all finished, but I just cant! I want to meet fellow local Mer People! So who is around Sacramento? And are there any other groups, pages, or events I should know about?

Thank you!
    Mermaid Anahita
    ME ME ME!!!! I'm from Sacramento!!!! welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Awesome! I just requested to join!

The Sacramento pod of mermaids is on IG and is ran by the lovely Luckie, Mermaid Rachel is smart and awesome an is the head mermaid at Dive Bar which is in Sacramento, and I think Mermaid Aimee runs a pod round there as well. Autumn Mermaid on IG is my mermaid soul twin, so you have to meet her, she's one of my favorite people.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Welcome, Mermaid Anahita Nice to see some northern Cal interest. I work part time in Rio Vista. Hopefully There are other mers in the Delta Area.

On a second note ...
    One reason I joined MerNetwork was to meet an learn more about others, this part however bothers me
    I will not do Facebook or Fadbook, or Narcissist book. I am not a product. So please share things here, unless the pod is a closed group that does not like outsiders.

The link provided is infact a closed group, and though plenty of people go crazy on social media, I use mine mostly for business networking, which is why I had interested in any groups that may exist.
    That being said, I have always wanted to be a mermaid since I saw a woman who made hers when I was a child.
    I didn't even think there would be any mermaids in my area. When Dive Bar opened locally, I always loved the idea of applying and meeting other mermaids ♡
    especially when a select few people have had less than supportive things to say to me about it.

But who cares what other people think! I'm a fire breathing mermaid! And I want to find my pod =)

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Hi Anahita! I'm one of the mermaids in the Sacramento Mermaids pod with Luckie. Sacramento has lots of awesome mermaids and merman, and many different groups and businesses, including the Dive Bar mermaids and their head mermaid Rachel. We also have a promenade of mermaids around May 30th every year where mers from all the pods and companies come together, as well as all of the community members and mermaids-in-spirit. It's a great place to be a mermaid for a Central Valley city!

If you want to PM, I'll send you a friend request on my personal FB account I hope we get to swim together sometime!
    Last edited by Elodea the Mermaid; 10-14-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by mersheep View Post
    One reason I joined MerNetwork was to meet an learn more about others, this part however bothers me

I will not do Facebook or Fadbook, or Narcissist book. I am not a product. So please share things here, unless the pod is a closed group that does not like outsiders.
    Do you want to know why the group is closed? So we don't get merverts stalking our pages and showing up at meets. I only use my Facebook to keep track of the pod. You don't have to use Facebook or whatever name you want to call it, but some people would prefer keeping discussions about meeting within our real lives private from the wrong people. Kapeesh?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mersheep View Post
    Hi Mersheep. I certainly can understand your aversion to social media, but to call it "Narcissist Book" implies that all of us who use it either personally or to build our brands as performers are narcissists. I don't understand why you feel that name calling is necessary when we are all just trying to be inclusive. I'm sure that is not what you meant to do, but I just thought you should know how it comes across.

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

... but some people would prefer keeping discussions about meeting within our real lives private from people who fetishize us. Kapeesh?
    Makes perfect sense now. Although there are things I would prefer to keep private from FB for similar reasons. Twitter is bad enough. My preference is for dedicated mail lists, which are invitation only. Although such are much like Jack Sparrow's compass. Where things can only be found by those who know where they are.

I notice other pods seem to be more active. Like in the south and midwest, perhaps they are more trusting. I also notice that Pod of Cali seems to be the whole state. As a San Francisco native, I notice that there is a strong dislike distrust for the more southern parts of the state. Like they want to take our water. (But that is a separate topic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea the Mermaid View Post
    Hi Mersheep. I certainly can understand your aversion to social media, but to call it "Narcissist Book" implies that all of us who use it either personally or to build our brands as performers are narcissists. I don't understand why you feel that name calling is necessary when we are all just trying to be inclusive. I'm sure that is not what you meant to do, but I just thought you should know how it comes across.
    You are correct, it is not my place to judge others as to what groups they belong to. I know how my extended family uses the service, and I do not care to be part of that. Others may use it for different reasons.
    I also tend to be an abstract thinker/writer. Who appreciates sarcasm. I tend to forget that there are those who consider such a low form of humor.

As much as I would love to be an iconoclastic fantasy mermaid with magical powers. In this world it is clear that mermading is something that can and should not be done alone. Why I am wanting to connect more to others locally. I also suspect that there are others who may cross into groups such as the Renaissance and Pirate festivals, where I have crossed paths with some who perform at the dive bar. A place I have yet to visit.

As I pointed out in my introduction I am now 55. I have been online since the 1970s. My website dates back to 1995 where I keep a seldom updated vanity page. So my views of what can be used online as professional credentials are probably out-dated. As noted, I tend to favor special interest sites such as this, and private mailing lists. As a female engineer, online I find I have to have a thick skin and keep much of my personal background quiet. On the other hand I also need to keep quiet that I sometimes may perform burlesque like at the Dicken's Christmas Faire, where there may be other acquaintance crossover with other mers here. I would love to know who they are?

There is a FB group for NorCal- we just started it recently to see how it would go splitting the pod. So far it seems the SoCal part of the pod is far more active than the NorCal, but you're welcome to join it if you decide FB is worth pursuing for networking.

I understand different social media isn't for everyone, some people like different ways of networking and dislike others.
    People are just a lot more active on the FB pod groups because FB is the social networking platform of choice for a lot of people. Also, again the pods are closed groups so privacy needs are better met, for people who need/prefer it, than the public forums here.

I encourage people to post about meetups in the pod sub forums here as well as on FB, as not everyone is on FB. There are others on this site that don't have a FB or don't want one- you're not alone!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Hi Anahita!

So happy to hear another mer is swimming into town. As others have mentioned above, landlocked Sacramento is simply teeming with mers. The Sacramento Mermaids are really friendly and Luckie is excellent at community outreach projects (the pod is huge!), Lighthouse Mermaids are just starting up and Dive is a great venue for mer action every single day!

Elodea (hi mermaid!) mentioned the Promenade of Mermaids in May, which is a really amazing undertaking. I totally recommend swimming out if you are free. And you are always welcome to come by Dive and say hi. I love meeting new fish friends

Thank you Harmony, for kind words <3 You are awesome!

I was at dive bar on Halloween =) was that you swimming that night?

I've always wanted to reach out to dive bar because I already have a performance background and once I finish my tail, I want to swim as often as possible! And it seems like a really great place =)

I've just been holding off since I ran into a few setbacks in making my tail, and it's taking a little longer than I expected.
    I have mad tail envy haha

I was swimming on Halloween! I was the zombie mermaid in the blue tail...and I got a bit too into my role! Haha. It was fun being something scary and weird rather than our usual pretty thing. We also had lovely Mermaids Tatiana and Ashley swimming. Hope you had fun! It was so crowded in the bar, I hid upstairs pretty much the whole night, rather than getting trampled.

We are currently fully staffed for mermaids (I just hired two on-call girls last week actually) but if you would like for me to have your resume on file send it to mermaid@rachelsmithillustration.com. Include a headshot and any swim, dance and performance experience. If you send me a resume, I'll be sure to contact you for any future interviews/auditions. We don't hire often - as you can probably imagine, folks love their jobs and we don't have a big turnover. And, having your own tail is not a requirement, and never will be - we use the company tails for the most part

We also have a super awesome contest called Mermaid for a Night; people compete for one night swimming as a mermaid in the Dive Bar tank. It's a lot of work but a ton of fun. We're starting up a new contest this month, so check out our facebook page for details - Dive Bar Mermaids

The one I saw was in a gold tail. But I'm sure you were all gorgeous! I was impressed at how well you get the special FX makeup to stay on underwater =)

I will deffinetly send in my resume!
    I didn't know weather or not the company provided tails. So it's awesome to know I can apply while still working on mine =)
    I'm a fire dancer/fire breather and I also have acting and modeling experience. I'm also a certified scuba diver, so I do have experience being in water for extended periods of time =)

My mom also lives in Hawaii and I visit her once a year. I'd love to take my tail diving there ♡

i'm new here! Sacramento native, but i just found this site. I've long had a passion for mermaids, but only recently found out it was something people actually do! I'm in the process of researching to DIY my own tail. It's also my motivation to get fit. (currently a chubby mermaid) I just want to swim and be a mermaid and look pretty!

Yay! I finally found some people from Sacramento! I'm excited for this upcoming summer I'm hoping to get a tail or atleast a monofin. Does anyone know of a pool that allows them?