Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

And my bathtub is really too f***ing small and annoying. Getting sick of it already.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I rang Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre in Sydney, earlier today...

The lady I spoke to, insisted that they were dangerous and people have drowned in them. I asked for proof or link to where I can read of these drownings, and she kept insisting that they were dangerous and they have been banned from the pool. In the end, I told her, she shouldn't have based her info on one video, and instead looked at the possibilities AND health benefits from mermaid swimming. Her last words, "They are dangerous. People have drowned. We have banned them from our pools." After I finished the call, I look around on their website a little more, they are YMCA run.

I still got my local pool and cute lifeguards.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I rang Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre in Sydney, earlier today...

The lady I spoke to, insisted that they were dangerous and people have drowned in them. I asked for proof or link to where I can read of these drownings, and she kept insisting that they were dangerous and they have been banned from the pool. In the end, I told her, she shouldn't have based her info on one video, and instead looked at the possibilities AND health benefits from mermaid swimming. Her last words, "They are dangerous. People have drowned. We have banned them from our pools." After I finished the call, I look around on their website a little more, they are YMCA run.

I still got my local pool and cute lifeguards.
    That's so annoying. Have there actually been drownings? Because I didn't think so.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Leina View Post
    That's so annoying. Have there actually been drownings? Because I didn't think so.
    I've certainly never heard any. But hey, the random pool lady clearly knows better than a whole community of mermaids with years of experience. What are you gonna do? I mean if she'd just admitted she doesn't know, or has no control over the ban then that would have been way better than her just being an ignorant parrot.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    There have been no drownings.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    There have been no drownings.

Silly Raina. The pool lady said there were. Weren't you listening? Haha (sarcasm because I am really bad at it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Leina View Post
    Consumer Protection WA have admitted themselves there have not been any drownings and that the warning about Mermaid tails was a preemptive one ahead of the holiday season. They did mention they had some info on some near misses that have occurred but won't be releasing this until after the summer period. As far as I am aware the only pools to have officially banned them is the YMCA pools in Vic, not the other states, so not even sure that woman is right in saying their pool has banned them.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...auckland-pools

I just found out all of the council run pools in my city have banned mermaid tails, again because of that one video. Ugh, so frustrating! It's 100% because Australia is doing it, so NZ has to do it to.
    I'm so grateful that I live on the coast surrounded by fantastic beaches!

Quote Originally Posted by hellocourtney View Post
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...auckland-pools

I just found out all of the council run pools in my city have banned mermaid tails, again because of that one video. Ugh, so frustrating! It's 100% because Australia is doing it, so NZ has to do it to.
    I'm so grateful that I live on the coast surrounded by fantastic beaches!
    Oh no! So sorry to hear that there are bans happening over there as well! It looks like this issue isn't going away anytime soon, so I think education is the only remedy. While some of the concerns people have against Mermaid tails are valid, we all need to help educate everyone that tails can be safe if used correctly. I'm not sure many people are aware of the safety features of the current generation of fabric tails, that the monofin can be removed easily to allow you to swim normally, or that the tails are indeed designed to be functional swimming tools. I really don't think some people realise that you can actually swim well with them once the technique is learnt. I also think Mermaid classes and a certification test (ie swimming test) as well as maybe additional swimming rules when swimming with tails are needed to help ally the concerns of public pools.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Mermaid Courtney just launched a great info website!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Mermaid Courtney just launched a great info website!

Link please?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    It has hit Adelaide too..banning Mermaid tails...but no monofins which are essentially the same thing!
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Oh no! Do you have any links to news items on it? I couldn't find anything after doing a quick search.

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Just pictures and posts on FB from the swim centers saying they've banned them and a picture from someone of the sign in their lobby
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

The only place I could find on Facebook with a ban was Adelaide Aquatic Centre. Any others?

'Statistics from Royal Life Saving Society - Australia show that 59 people have drowned in Australia since the start of December, a 16% increase on the same period last year.'

I think we should ban regular swimming. It's obviously far too dangerous and much more dangerous than mermaid swimming which has had a grand total of 0 drowning deaths WORLDWIDE!!!

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    SA aquatic and leisure center, Marion swim center. More people die from cow attacks and falling vending machines.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Gosh how embarrassing to die from a cow attack

I know, let's ban ALL COWS!

It looks like Today Tonight are going to do an item in the next few days on looking into the Mermaid tail ban. I just saw a post on Adelaide's Mermaid Swimming classes page.