Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    From what I've seen far north NSW and south east QLD (possibly more but this is mostly around where I live and can say for sure) all seem very lax about this subject and I've yet to find a pool that has a problem with my tails (there's actually on in Burleigh that is super into mermaids and loves it when I rock up there). I always call ahead if I'm driving far, just in case or if not I ask before entering the facility but I've yet to be told no.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Yes, QLD still seems to be the exception to the bans at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I know Mahina is also aggressively asking mermaids NOT to put her fins in their tails due to safety concerns now.
    To me this looks more like a marketing tactic than anything else. A few of the Mers in Australia that sell Mahina fins are saying that Mahina fins are safer than tails and people should not buy tails because they are potentially unsafe. Clever way to make more people buy more of thier product. I'm not too happy about them slandering all other manufacturers just so they can sell more, and I don't believe the risks significantly increase whether you have a tail over your monofin or not. To me this is just perpetuating the fear and ignorance that Mermaid tails are unsafe.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Fifi Tigg's Avatar
    Add Fifi Tigg on Facebook
    Follow Fifi Tigg on Flickr Visit Fifi Tigg's Youtube Channel
    Thankfully here in the southwest of Western Australia have no bans on mermaid tails
    I think it maybe because we have been swimming in tails for years before this stupid viral video
    http://make animated gifs like this at MakeaGif

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Thank you so much for the update leomar ! It's not a happy thing that tails keep getting banned. I know here in VA, I am currently having trouble as well so I am starting the process with the county, and was wondering if this ban went well for him (and the rest of the Australian Mers as well).

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Hey!
    So I've been following this thread for a while now. I am from Newcastle, but will be moving down to Melbourne very soon.
    (Newcastle council pools have not yet banned the tails or fins, although Sydney has)
    Is there a list of pools I should avoid/definitely check out/can help educate? This is such sad news that a passion can be turned upside down because of over zealous parents...

I think if you email the pool before you arrive they will tell you. I did so with ripples near penrith where i live and the emailed me back a no

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that! That was going to be my plan of 'merttack' :P

Haha welcome

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I'm sorry this ban is happening to you mers :C
    I wish I could like it [privacy settings don't let me], but I shared it in any case!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

I have yet to find a pool near me that allows tails

Sent from my LGLS676 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    What area are you in? Very rarely am I told no on bring tails. Nevermind, I read the topic wrong and thought Florida in the usa

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid anastasia View Post
    I have yet to find a pool near me that allows tails

When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    What area are you in? Very rarely am I told no on bring tails. Nevermind, I read the topic wrong and thought Florida in the usa
    I live in Leesburg area the public pools iv been to allow the monofin but not the tail if you know of a place near by id love to find a pool the springs are beautiful but very cold iv been considering getting a gym membership at to your health in the villages if they allow them but haven't checked yet and i dont want to pay for a whole year when i know ill be very likely leaving florida or at least be moving about 3 hours north of here in april

This thread is specifically about pools in Australia, but we feel your pain. I have been rebuffed at so many pools in Newcastle now. It is so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    This thread is specifically about pools in Australia, but we feel your pain. I have been rebuffed at so many pools in Newcastle now. It is so frustrating.
    I knew it was about Australia but it kinda tied in it just goes to show its happening everywhere and if you have not found any try a gym with a pool im going in to talk to a manager this weekend to make sure my tail is allowed befor i pay for the month (fingers crossed) but thats an option you can try

I'm a Tasmanian Mermaid, but when I was in Melbourne recently i went to the Richmond Recreation Centre to swim. The first day was fine, but the second day someone else said they had a policy, banning the use of tails. I explained I had swum just yesterday and I had checked up and everyone said it was fine, and eventually we agreed that I could swim, as long as I would take it off if I felt I was in danger, or got caught underwater, etc. In Tasmania, the most popular pool down south, the Hobart Aquatic Centre, has banned tails, however this pool isn't good for recreational swimmers who aren't children. I have multiple other pools that I attend using my fabric tail, and my girlfriend using her hybrid tail. I always call first to check, and if there is a problem I can explain the safety precautions, etc.

As far as I am concerned, there have been no deaths regarding mermaid tails, and few regarding monofins. The most recent, and the only one I know of, was an adult male swimming in the open ocean.

As I have only gotten into mermaiding quite recently, a lot of people around me are asking questions, and a lot of people are asking where to buy them. I always say that you have to be confident in the water before even touching a monofin, and advise parents to do heavy research before buying them for people under the age of 12.