Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    And now they're banned across ALL of Victoria. Yay.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Do you mean banned in certain shops, or banned in pools? Can you please provide a link to any info on this?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    Do you mean banned in certain shops, or banned in pools? Can you please provide a link to any info on this?

Apologies, banned in all public pools. Well the title says all, the article/ video says YMCA
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...cross-victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    Apologies, banned in all public pools. Well the title says all, the article/ video says YMCA
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...cross-victoria
    OK luckily this is just the YMCA pools so far and I would say this is as a result of the safety review that was done as a result of Brunswick Baths calling into question the safety of Mermaid/Merman tails. This is quite bad as other public pools may decide to follow suit on this. Please keep everyone posted here if you hear anything else!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Well that sucks! They should've had tail wearers do a swim test. Just like they make the kids do a swim test, before they let them onto the inflatables.

They didn't do proper research about OHS but instead of basing their info on one video. And the added benefits of tail/monofin swimming.

Told ya fear and paranoia is what will get us all banned. Luckily, its not in NSW yet, and fins crossed I have looked up my local pool and its not a YMCA one.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Well that sucks! They should've had tail wearers do a swim test. Just like they make the kids do a swim test, before they let them onto the inflatables.

They didn't do proper research about OHS but instead of basing their info on one video. And the added benefits of tail/monofin swimming.

Told ya fear and paranoia is what will get us all banned. Luckily, its not in NSW yet, and fins crossed I have looked up my local pool and its not a YMCA one.
    I've been doing a little research and it looks like several fair trading organisations including nsw, Vic and Wa have so far flagged the tail warning. So we have to be careful this ban could spread really quickly nation wide.

Also, please sign the petition to remove the ban here https://www.change.org/p/anthea-hanc...swimming-pools

By the way, tails have not been banned Australia wide YET, but the ACCC (Australian Competiton and Consumer Commission) are currently doing a review and pending that they may be banned Australia wide!

I'M SAFE! SAFE!!

I just called my pool to ask what they thought of the Vic YMCA ban, and they say have no plans to put it place, AND the pool is council run.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania TheMermanDan's Avatar
    Add TheMermanDan on Facebook
    Visit TheMermanDan's Youtube Channel
    Thank you for setting up the petition.

Bureaucracy loves paperwork.

This news as caught me on a not-so-good day.

We are fucked. We are all fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMermanDan View Post
    I have sent an email directly to the pool awaiting a response and if I am not satisfied with that outcome then I will follow your advice and bring it up with the local Mayor. Thank you. x
    Dan, can you please contact Choice and the ACCC as well as they seem to be the ones driving the push for this ban. I don't think the Mayor can do much if ACCC bans them.

So I sent an email to my council's 3 pools, asking them all if I would be banned from using my tail in their pools.

Just waiting on a response.

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    Dan, can you please contact Choice and the ACCC as well as they seem to be the ones driving the push for this ban. I don't think the Mayor can do much if ACCC bans them.
    I was thinking about this just today. I will put together an email tomorrow and send it out. I would highly encourage others to do the same.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I think I'm one of the only if not the only mermaid who got pools to reverse bands. Our entire province decided to ban. But I got them to flip back.

I really feel the key is not to complain. They love to make you look like some weirdo with a weird hobby mad they can't do it.

The key is to approach pools and the media with solutions. Suggestions. And ideas. Then people will be on your side and support you.

As a community we need to start replying that way both on the small scale of social media, and the larger scale like being in the news.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more! The first thing I did was have a sitdown meeting with the head managment of a number of YMCA pools who were very happy to her solutions and options. They are now putting forward my recommendations to the National Board who are due to review the ban in the comming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    The key is to approach pools and the media with solutions. Suggestions. And ideas. Then people will be on your side and support you.

As a community we need to start replying that way both on the small scale of social media, and the larger scale like being in the news.

Yes so true! I have been trying to do this whenever I post or share about the issue, first I put forward the facts (as people probably don't know them) and then explain the proposed alternatives of having a swim test, etc.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    It's really important that it is the focus in the media because so far it comes across complainy

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I couldn't agree more! The first thing I did was have a sitdown meeting with the head managment of a number of YMCA pools who were very happy to her solutions and options. They are now putting forward my recommendations to the National Board who are due to review the ban in the comming weeks.
    Wow Dan! That's awesome! Way to go ^_^

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

That sounds promising.

BTW Dan are you coming to our Meeting on Wednesday evening?

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    It's really important that it is the focus in the media because so far it comes across complainy

It does sounds whingy at the the moment. Gotta remember to be pragmatic in our approach and not to use excuses like "But it's been my dream since I was a child." Sorry, the ACCC really don't give a shit how sentimental you think something is, unfortunately.

I just feel like... How to describe it? You know those people on the Titanic that they locked up in the lower cargo area? That's how I feel like right now because of all these stupid tail bans. I'm lucky my pool is council run and the people there are open minded to the possibilities mermaiding has. But I feel so bad for those that can't follow their dreams.