Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 109

Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

  1. #81
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    791
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Link?
    When Fantasy is Reality

    Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy


  2. #82
    Member formerly known as leomar

  3. #83
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    3,993
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Oh Adelaide. I thought it was nationwide show?
    Formerly known as ireneho

  4. #84
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    791
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Thank you. I was looking up the wrong page XP
    When Fantasy is Reality

    Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy


  5. #85
    Hey all I just created this meme to help combat the negative information about mermaid tails at the moment. Please feel free to share it around on social media etc.

    Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

  6. #86
    Also here is one Mermaid Adrienne created.
    Member formerly known as leomar

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Mermaid Courtney just launched a great info website!

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Found it! http://mermaidsafetyguide.weebly.com

    Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

  8. #88
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,249
    I actually disagree with two points of that infographic

    should be "I am used by all sorts of swimmers including professionals" (because the vast majority of monofin users are not professionals)

    and it CAN be a health and safety risk, so it should say "I am safe when used properly"

  9. #89
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,249
    • Really excited. I was approached by the Life Saving Society- the body that regulates all things swimming and pool usage across Canada- to help them with their formal decisions on mermaid tails and monofin use. Up until now, they have not made a statement officially as they have been trying to gather information. They are going to meet with me, we're going to teach them about the fins, they're going to check out our study at the aquatron, and observe our mermaid school (woo, pressure). I am happy for the chance to advocate for the other side of things and help them come to a decision with safety in mind. Fins crossed. This could help turn the tides of monofin and mermaid bans!






  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    • Really excited. I was approached by the Life Saving Society- the body that regulates all things swimming and pool usage across Canada- to help them with their formal decisions on mermaid tails and monofin use. Up until now, they have not made a statement officially as they have been trying to gather information. They are going to meet with me, we're going to teach them about the fins, they're going to check out our study at the aquatron, and observe our mermaid school (woo, pressure). I am happy for the chance to advocate for the other side of things and help them come to a decision with safety in mind. Fins crossed. This could help turn the tides of monofin and mermaid bans!





    Wow, that is awesome news!

    Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

  11. #91
    Junior Member curvecreation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2
    Really sad. I went to swim in just my monofin at the Anette Kellerman swim centre a few weekends ago. I checked their website as well as called them to make sure there wasn't a ban on monofins. I was allowed to walk in, my monofin in full view, pay for my entry and enter the pool before being called to the side and told to "new policies" bought in 6 months ago (around Christmas) they don't allow Monofins or mermaid tails in their pool as they are a hazard. When I asked why this information was not displayed on their website or that their own staff knew nothing about it, I was simply told to exit the pool. I requested a refund as my sole purpose for going to the swim centre was to swim with my fin and that I'd been incredibly diligent in checking that they were allowed. When I exited the receptionist knew nothing about the new policy, told me they don't give refunds and called the head life guard. I asked why they were banned and was given no reason, just that it was 'new policy' and it wasn't allowed. Ironically they gave a glass mermaid on the wall in the foyer.

    To any Sydney based mer's, avoid this centre.

    http://www.akac.com.au/

  12. #92
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Townsville, QLD, AUS
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by curvecreation View Post
    Really sad. I went to swim in just my monofin at the Anette Kellerman swim centre a few weekends ago. I checked their website as well as called them to make sure there wasn't a ban on monofins. I was allowed to walk in, my monofin in full view, pay for my entry and enter the pool before being called to the side and told to "new policies" bought in 6 months ago (around Christmas) they don't allow Monofins or mermaid tails in their pool as they are a hazard. When I asked why this information was not displayed on their website or that their own staff knew nothing about it, I was simply told to exit the pool. I requested a refund as my sole purpose for going to the swim centre was to swim with my fin and that I'd been incredibly diligent in checking that they were allowed. When I exited the receptionist knew nothing about the new policy, told me they don't give refunds and called the head life guard. I asked why they were banned and was given no reason, just that it was 'new policy' and it wasn't allowed. Ironically they gave a glass mermaid on the wall in the foyer.

    To any Sydney based mer's, avoid this centre.

    http://www.akac.com.au/
    Oh curvecreation, so sorry that happened to you. We're lucky that we haven't had any problems yet in NQ but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
    Ps. great to finally see you on here
    Mermaid Kait

  13. #93
    Junior Member curvecreation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    Oh curvecreation, so sorry that happened to you. We're lucky that we haven't had any problems yet in NQ but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
    Ps. great to finally see you on here
    I was so upset. The only days I really have free to train are the days my partner is at work, which means I don't have access to the car. It was my closest centre. Its even more upsetting to hear that a centre named after one of the first Mermaid Swimmers in Australia, as I saw in the earlier post. I'm not really sure how to move forward from here, as travelling further would mean losing an ENTIRE day to my training, which with my current blogging/small businesses I really can't afford.

    I guess I was more disappointed with the lack of communication within their own company. That this new policy had been in place for MONTHS yet only the head lifeguard was aware of it and not the people who are the initial point of contact with the public. Also that it didn't make their December newsletter and it wasn't included on their terms and conditions/policies page.

    I've been here for a while, just kind of lurking. I've found the Mernetwork to be a great source of info: its what made me opt for a monofin first as oppose to an actual tail and I hope to eventually be able to contribute here more.

    But yeah, its pretty crap.

  14. #94
    Curvecreation, what a horrid experience! I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your pool.
    By your description, I could have written that myself word for word because I had the same experience recently at a local University pool here in California.
    It made me so angry and sad. For months we were having mermaid swims during public hours. Everything was fine, the staff was very welcoming, then bam! The so-called policy that was suddenly flung at us came out of nowhere.
    I think someone must have mentioned the dreaded words; Insurance Liability, should anyone be injured while swimming in anything that binds the feet.
    Totally understandable, yet the way they handled it was the absolute wrong way.
    Rules like this need to be clearly posted at the pool and online if they are going to tell people it's a long-time rule.
    Indeed, how ironic considering the name of your swim centre!
    I hope it all works out well for you in the end. Keep swimming, and good luck <3 <3 <3

  15. #95
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    3,993
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You should've at least gotten your money back and not some cheap 2nd hand wall hanging. You paid to swim, you got turned away. That's wrong how they simply justified it by giving you a useless wall hanging.
    Formerly known as ireneho

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by curvecreation View Post
    Really sad. I went to swim in just my monofin at the Anette Kellerman swim centre a few weekends ago. I checked their website as well as called them to make sure there wasn't a ban on monofins. I was allowed to walk in, my monofin in full view, pay for my entry and enter the pool before being called to the side and told to "new policies" bought in 6 months ago (around Christmas) they don't allow Monofins or mermaid tails in their pool as they are a hazard. When I asked why this information was not displayed on their website or that their own staff knew nothing about it, I was simply told to exit the pool. I requested a refund as my sole purpose for going to the swim centre was to swim with my fin and that I'd been incredibly diligent in checking that they were allowed. When I exited the receptionist knew nothing about the new policy, told me they don't give refunds and called the head life guard. I asked why they were banned and was given no reason, just that it was 'new policy' and it wasn't allowed. Ironically they gave a glass mermaid on the wall in the foyer.

    To any Sydney based mer's, avoid this centre.

    http://www.akac.com.au/
    So sorry to hear, that sucks!! Annette Kellerman would be so angry if she were still alive that the facility created in her name doesn't allow Mer swimming. I know you said you can't easily travel but there are some other pools in Sydney that do allow mer tails and monofins, hopefully you would be able to make it to one of these? This is the list I know of so far:

    Ryde Aquatic Lesuire Centre, Ryde - allows monofins and tails
    Sydney Aquatic Centre, Homebush - allows monofins and tails
    Sutherland Lesuire Centre, Sutherland - allows tails and monofins

    From what you were saying about where you live I think Sydney Olympic park might be closest for you to get to travelling by train.

    Good luck, I hope it works out!

  17. #97
    Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    8
    TheMermanDan, I was wondering if this was ever resolved? If so what were the next steps? Can you now swim in the Brunswick Baths?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyPirotessa View Post
    TheMermanDan, I was wondering if this was ever resolved? If so what were the next steps? Can you now swim in the Brunswick Baths?
    I'm not Merman Dan but I have been following this issue closely so feel qualified to reply to this. Unfortunately the end result is not a good one. Brunswick baths is a YMCA in Melbourne VIC and at the time of Merman Dan posting this the ban was only local. Shortly afterwards YMCA Australia reviewed Mermaid tail use at thier pools and decided to ban them in ALL thier pools across Australia. If that wasn't bad enough many other aquatic facilities across Australia decided to copy this decision without much thought or investigation and as a result we now have tail bans at many of the pools across Australia.

    Since then there have been a few pools that have reversed the ban decision but largely things remain unchanged. I have been able to confirm with the ACCC that an Australia wide product ban won't happen, and that it is down to the individual pool to overturn a ban or not. I have also been pursuing the issue of tail bans with Royal Life Saving Society here in VIC as they (RLSS Australia) were one of the main organisations recommending a ban. What I have asked them is to consider that instead of advocating for bans they recommend pools implement a swim test or other rules as necessary to minimise the chance of risk of someone at a pool drowning in a Mermaid tail. This way they can lead the way and set consistent safety standards Australia wide. I am still waiting to hear back from them and will update you all here when I get a response back.



    Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

  19. #99
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,341

    Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    From what I've seen far north NSW and south east QLD (possibly more but this is mostly around where I live and can say for sure) all seem very lax about this subject and I've yet to find a pool that has a problem with my tails (there's actually on in Burleigh that is super into mermaids and loves it when I rock up there). I always call ahead if I'm driving far, just in case or if not I ask before entering the facility but I've yet to be told no.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

  20. #100
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,249
    I know Mahina is also aggressively asking mermaids NOT to put her fins in their tails due to safety concerns now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •