Thread: Freshwater and River Swimming

Member Pod of New England Raquel Skellington's Avatar
    Add Raquel Skellington on Facebook

Lightbulb Freshwater and River Swimming

Hello everyone!!

I've tried searching on the forums for some answers on this but I couldn't exactly find anything..

I'm getting my first tail ever from Tiggs Tails and what I mainly got it for was an weeklong LARP event in August called Bicolline.
    Some info:
    http://www.larping.org/feat/bicolline-great-battle/#
    http://thevoyagenorth.com/
    (The Main Bicolline site is in french but reads well with a google translate plugin) http://www.bicolline.org/v2/

It's a big fantasy LARP in Canada and I'm going to be an elf/changeling.
    Now that means I'm going to be kickin it for 7 days medieval style- So no power or modern amenities (unless you wanna pay extra)

I plan on almost every day swimming in the large river with my tail. It doesn't have a super strong current or anything and has been cleared for swimming, the water is sparkling clear.
    I wanted some tips on freshwater swiming/care tips/ fun recommendations!

Thanks Guys!

Bring a yoga mat to change into your tail on. You'll need to do it close to the water so you can roll in. If not you'll need a second or third person to help bring you into the water.

and like ten towels. And a fresh change of undergarments.
    The SeaGlass Siren

And do not forget water based lube
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    Bring a yoga mat to change into your tail on. You'll need to do it close to the water so you can roll in. If not you'll need a second or third person to help bring you into the water.

and like ten towels. And a fresh change of undergarments.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    And do not forget water based lube
    Lucky for me the camp is not even a 2 minute walk from the River!
    I do have a merwrangler that will be carrying me to and fro! A Yoga mat is also a great idea! I can use that in the tent.
    Do you also have any brand recommendations for water based lube? Though I figure a good google search might answer my question too haha...

I'm fond of J Lube myself. Comes as a powder that is mixed with water. One bottle of powder = 6 gallons of lube.

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    I'm fond of J Lube myself. Comes as a powder that is mixed with water. One bottle of powder = 6 gallons of lube.
    woah just looked on amazon! you can get a TON of that stuff~ Thanks for the recommendation

Haha, yeah. I'm only halfway through my bottle of J-lube powder, and it's been two years!

It's also nice because you can mix it in whatever container you want. (I use an empty bodywash bottle. Less conspicuous in public)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Even though the river is relatively safe, don't swim unsupervised. Make sure your 'tender can save you if need be.

Being a comb so you can sit on the riverbank combing your hair. Learn some sea shanties to sing while combing your hair.

bring sewing supplies, extra mer-tops, etcetera. What can go wrong will go wrong with your tops. In an emergency remember that you can wear a medieval-appropriate shirt and your tail and still look awesome.

Have fun and tell us all about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH! singing thats right I should get better at that haha! I'm going to try and have atleast three types of tops made JUST IN CASE~ Any recommended care tips?

Wipe out your tail really well in case of plant spores in the river. I do most of my swimming in a river and I love it, but even with a slow current expect to spend a lot of time trying to not float away. XD also I would recommend getting a spray bottle of silicone cleaner since you can't rinse your tail to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk