Thread: Sea worlds final generation of captive whales!

Sea worlds final generation of captive whales!

Sea world has stopped their whale breeding program and will not have anymore confined whales in the future. The downside of this is that their are still whales that have to live the remainder of their life in that prison but they are modifying the tanks to make them slightly better and possibly adding fish so they can hunt. The bright side is no more whales will have to suffer after this and will be able to live freely. Finally they are doing something. http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc...will-look-like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be a cynic but I didn't read anywhere them saying that they'll no longer have confined whales, just an end to the breeding program. This makes me wonder how much they'll end up spending when they buy whales from other places under the guise of "they'll have better lives here rather than there"
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

Follow Ayesha On Twitter
    Follow Ayesha on Tumblr Visit Ayesha's Youtube Channel
    That information is not correct. SeaWorld has decided to end it's killer whale breeding program, and the killer whales currently living in their facilities will remain there for the rest of their lives. SeaWorld does not purchase killer whales, nor do they purchase animals under a "guise" that they'll have better lives there. They are actually the largest rescue and rehabilitation facility in the world. Most animals that currently live there have been born and raised there save for those that have been rescued and deemed non-releasable by the government.
    I do not believe that there are plans to introduce live fish for any of the animals to hunt. This would be a health and safety risk to the animals and staff. I am curious as to whether the reference to fish spooking a killer whale was at SeaWorld or if it was in reference to Lolita, as that is an event that occurred with her. She does not do well with changes in her environment. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
    Highly accredited marine facilities like SeaWorld do actually provide a very good home for animals. It has been scientifically proven that bottlenose dolphins live longer than their wild counterparts in these marine facilities, and killer whales live just as long as their wild counterparts. The only differences between a home in a marine facility and a home in the ocean is that in a marine facility everything is controlled. The water is man-made and kept clean with maintained filtration systems and checked regularly by water quality staff. The food is sorted for quality by hand multiple times prior to feeding. Veterinarians are on site and on call to assist with daily preventative healthcare and medical emergencies when needed. There are no problems of pollution, hunting, scarcity of prey, predators, or sources of stress and harassment as there are in the wild. Lifestyles are also quite different to reflect these differences in habitats, but that is the case for all ecotypes found in the wild as well.
    I know there are a lot of articles going around online right now, but not all of them are accurate or the best source for news and updates. For example, many state that the shows are ending and that is not the case. The theatrical shows will end, but educational presentations will continue. Currently, educational presentations are only slightly shorter than the theatrical shows. I know I had a lot of questions throughout all of these news releases, so I've been asking a great deal of questions and begging for more details. If you have questions or concerns, let minnow! I'll do my best to get the answers!
    Mai ke kai mai ke ola, e malama I ke kai.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rivertee's Avatar
    Follow Rivertee On Twitter Add Rivertee on Facebook
    Follow Rivertee on Tumblr
    Ayesha thank you for that. The information and knowledge is greatly appreciated. My older brother wa sin the intern program to be a whale trainer at Sea World before the big media hit and had to leave the program because of it. He continued however to study and track the state of the animals at the park with some help from his college friends really brought to light a lot of things. Seeing mermaids like yourself also stay on top the facts makes me extremely happy and able to encourage my brother to continue his dream of helping save marine life. To this day the facilities funded and owned by Sea World are saving more marine life and preserving more oceans than most activist groups thrown together.

Keep up the good news and let's hope our sea friends will remain safe and happy no matter their home.
    ~Nothing's Impossible just hard to achieve, so stay true to yourself and always Believe~

Formerly known as Kaguria the Kitsune Mermaid