Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: First mertail, in Black and Gold... partial silicone mermaid tail

Thanks guys for your constant support - you're the best!
    I had to take a little break from my project as with constant failures and the approaching of summer I wanted to enjoy a little rest and sunshine.
    I got some golden pigment that hopefully won't tarnish (gah!) and worked on my tail body. almost finished he back, only the top left bit is left.

i was also busy resurrecting my long lost digital painting skills as I want to get back into game development. This is a piece I'm proud of at the mo

Last edited by moniee; 07-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.

~**~**My tailmaking thread**~**~

Considering the name 'Mermaid Triteia'

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    It's looking so great! As a fellow Art Deco mer, I adore your inspiration pics.

I can't wait to see how it looks all finished. Pearlie is completely right, it's going to have such gorgeous depth to the color. 😍

I'm so excited to see you back on track with the project, I love how it looks in the picture so far!! I've been wondering what happened to this thread, taking a break is honestly necessary when it comes to tailmaking, it's a frustrating process at some points. I cannot wait to see it finished

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The gold is seriously beautiful.

YAY!!! I'm so excited that you're back:) How had I not seen your dolls before??
    Can't wait to see this tail keep moving forward!

Your tail looks beautiful it will be stunning when it's finished, out of curiosity how did you adapt the wetsuit? Is it a case of cutting the inside leg and stitching up like a skirt?

Haha yep I'm pretty much back - I'm about to finish my monofin in the garden! Fins crossed! Thanks so much for your inspiring comments guys!!!!
    Elle, that is exactly how I did it - stitched up with hand stitching as my sweing machine said 'NO F-ING WAY'

This morning was pretty productive - I'm so pleased I could work on 2 continous hours on my tail before the demons of doom landlady's kidscame home!

I managed to finish the back of my tail body:

Annnnnd dun dun duuuun - a nearly done fluke half! It will still have two black veins down its sides, but I'm pretty happy with the paintjob and wanted to show you guys!

Out now, have to be prepred for Monday's test swim of my monofin I hope to finish tonight!
    Thanks so much for your inspiring words xxxxxxxx

This is looking so marvelous, I just love what you've done with the colors :O

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Holy carp! Your going to look like a real fish! That is wonderful!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Omg it's so beautiful and realistic! Can't wait to see it finished and swam in!

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    That fluke is stunning!!! Oh, I can't wait to see it in action. 😍

Thank youuuu! I hope I can be a realistic fishy, I always imagined myself as a not so vibrant in colour, but more earth-coloured or desaturated to resemble freshwater fishies.
    I think I can safely say now I'm a freshwater mermaid!

Major success on the monofin part - after my first try with the 4mm, that wouldn't propel me ahead, the second time was a total success, I'm so happy!
    Used 2mm and reinforced it below the feet area. I swam really fast in it and kinda effortlessly too! I'm so pleased. All the failures worth it xx

I was also thinking a lot about my mersona, and apart from going for a tribal gypsy kinda look, I have to admit when I think mermaid, I always imagine a freshwater naiad with a bare top. Everything else is too Disney for me but I have no choice unless I'm happy to let the girls hang around...

so so this was bugging me so much I think I actually want to try this idea of mine out. I want to use nude skin coloured scales on top of a mesh top, only to cover the boobie area, and you won't need straps!

i hope it will work
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boutique-f...p2047675.l2557

That's very creative!! I can't wait to see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Tami View Post
    I used a 4 mil Lexan and finally finished my tail! I'm planning to try it out this weekend!

Tami how did you monofin work out?

Quote Originally Posted by AelianaNympha View Post
    That's very creative!! I can't wait to see it!

Tahnks Aeliana I hope it does work out

Quote Originally Posted by merwandering View Post
    Moniee- I'm SO SORRY!!!! I know how frustrating that must be I didn;t realize all of this, and I'm glad you found another product but
    that sucks
    though looking at it- omg I am soooo excited to see this happen.
    Do you plan to thin it and paint over, or redo?
    It's going to be gorgeous
    Hmm do you know what, I kinda like the moss green area it caused around the calf. It makes it a bit more realistic - it's a nice gradient between the black and bright golden! Maybe it's not that bad that I had that pigment after all

Quote Originally Posted by Celaeno View Post
    It's looking so great! As a fellow Art Deco mer, I adore your inspiration pics.

I can't wait to see how it looks all finished. Pearlie is completely right, it's going to have such gorgeous depth to the color. 
    Thanks! Actually my inspiration for colours happened to be portrayed on Art Deco pics, but I imagine myself as a mermaid in two ways - A tribal/gypsy mermaid with the long braids on my drawing, or the second, a freshwater mermaid with a bare top and pearls, lots of pearls. Both with a fishy, slightly desaturated colour schemed tail (so not tropical bright. Lots of greys, browns, duller greens and gold!)

Quote Originally Posted by merwandering View Post
    YAY!!! I'm so excited that you're back How had I not seen your dolls before??
    Can't wait to see this tail keep moving forward!
    Aaah the dollies yes! I hope you liked them! I have a project atm, I'm redoing an Elsa doll as a 1920 lady with short brown bob hair

Quote Originally Posted by moniee View Post
    Tami how did you monofin work out?

It swims very well! I was in the water for hours with it! No issues! I can go pretty quickly too! It's pretty big so I was worried but 0 issues. I've used it several times!

Ah good for you! I'm pretty sure my failure was that my fluke is so small. It doesn't get to bend enough being so little, so it didn't flex enough to propel me well. 2mm worked wonders for my fluke size

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Wow you tail looks fantastic so far! I love it! The gold is so striking!

And omg, what dolls do you repaint? I collect dolls and I just adore repaints. I've never been very good at them myself (I can never get watercolor pencils to cooperate with me and I always mess up with paint ) but I love looking at others repaints. It's nice to meet another doll loving mer
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)