Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go again.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Please share:

While banning mermaid tails affects all demographics who enjoy it, it directly affects girls who already have a much higher chance of stopping physical activity, by taking away an activity they enjoy. Banning mermaid tails, really is a feminist issue when it places girls who enjoy it at risk, along with all others, and places even more limitations on them. This headline, ought to grab some attention.

http://rainamermaid.weebly.com/blog/how-banning-mermaid-tails-is-the-wrong-mindset-and-puts-down-girls

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I like the skate comparison.

Maybe we should come up with a few examples of what the "viral video" boils down to with different, for the average dude easier to grasp situations.

As in:
    Mom takes daughter to a frozen lake to try on her skates for the very first time, and as the kid wobbly tries to straighten after tying the shoelaces, Mom says "cool. Now go and do a double Axel."
    Girl skates off, jumps, falls and breaks a hand.
    Mom pulls her up and posts a warning video:
    "Those skates may look like fun, but they can cause you to break something, watch out!"

If the "toy" in question had been anything but a mermaid tail, everyone would at once have understood there was stupidity at work here and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post

Maybe we should come up with a few examples of what the "viral video" boils down to with different, for the average dude easier to grasp situations.

As in:
    Mom takes daughter to a frozen lake to try on her skates for the very first time, and as the kid wobbly tries to straighten after tying the shoelaces, Mom says "cool. Now go and do a double Axel."
    "Those skates may look like fun, but they can cause you to break something, watch out!"

If the "toy" in question had been anything but a mermaid tail, everyone would at once have understood there was stupidity at work here and nothing else.

That's a really good comparison! Now all you have to do is call all ice skates "toys", marketed primarily toward little girls who want to pretend to be figure skaters. Actual figure skaters don't exist, because that's not a viable or realistic career option for adults.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post

As in:

THIS!!!!

This type of sensationalism is the reason people think all pitbulls are demons made to kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by HellKittyNinja View Post
    This type of sensationalism is the reason people think all pitbulls are demons made to kill people.
    Amen! Don't even get me started. The media just wants another thing to rally against and they've chosen mermaid tails. Here's hoping they move onto something else soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HellKittyNinja View Post
    I'd say that's a part of it. In regards to the pitts, I have personally only seen them being used as fight dogs for underground dog fights, and most of them have ended up dead in my backyard (when I was living in Cincy). Since then, I haven't seen a pittbull that hasn't frightened me, because some of those fighting dogs would get loose and maul people. That's a different story for a different time.

In both situations of people fearing the dogs and the tails; it's because they don't know any better, and don't want to do their research on actual statistics- nor do they want to utilize precaution and safety measures.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Also though, you can only compare people's fear of tails and pitties, not necessarily the things themselves. Though both are misunderstood, one is a living breathing thing that, despite innate morality, is doing all that it can to protect itself and to please what it views as its owner. Both do require you to do your research, as Celeste said, because those who don't research are the ones who are caught in the net of sensationalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, this article is terrible. And of course if a child has never been in a fin and doesn't know how to move it in, they will sink lol. Parents need to teach kids how to dolphin kick first before letting them wear a fin. And no child or adult should ever swim alone for that matter...Common sense just isn't so common anymore I guess...