Thread: Silicone caulk scales

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Iamonlyme@me.com's Avatar
    Add Iamonlyme@me.com on Facebook

Silicone caulk scales

Has anyone ever used a scale mold and made individual scales with silicone caulk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not scales, I've made a dorsal, it's honestly kind of hard because caulk sticks to almost eveything, for example, I used plaster which absorbed my release agent...clay worked out, but it leaves a layer of this clay stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I used it for fins also on wax paper and it worked pretty well but I might have to try this. I have never worked with dragon skin so a little scared lol

I mean go ahead experiment, that's honestly how you'll find your answer, I think it's doable with plaster, but you have to wait until it's like 100% cured, if you pull it sooner you'll separate the silicone, so you'll have the inside oozing out and two cured layers around it, it's also hard to pull it off when it's cured, I haven't experimented with resin nor will I in the near future so I can't really help you there, I'd like to see what you come up with though, I have been wondering why I haven't seen this done before

Well I will keep this updated and I will let you know if it works or is a huge failure lol my thought process is silicone caulk usually once fully cured does not stick to plastic so if I use a plastic mold.....

Name:  IMG_8761.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  11.4 KB Name:  IMG_8762.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  10.8 KBName:  IMG_8763.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  11.0 KB

Ideas ideas so maybe if I make think sheets of silicone and use the cutter and also try the molds and see what happens

I haven't worked with silicone caulk, so no idea, but what I have noticed is that is seems MUCH less stretchy than dragonskin, and my dragonskin tail takes some time to wiggle into, so I can only imagine how hard it would be if it were LESS stretchy:/ but worth a shot! Maybe make a bracer? Because that would have to stretch to get on, so you could see how it feels? Also, is silicone caulk skin safe? For some reason I thought it was recommended to have substantial fabric between caulk and akin, but that could have been about another kind. Good luck!!!!

Oh yeah i mean with the whole skin safety thing, I would never leave caulking on my skin, I don't know about the stretch ability, but I added a zipper on my tail even though I'm not using caulk for scales, that might be a good option to get around the stretch problem

Silicone caulk scales

It would not be directly on skin we are using a spandex base and will be attaching the scales to that if any of these ideas work. my first tail we just painted the silicone over the spandex and used a knife to draw on scales this time we wanted to try to add some individual scales.

Here is the drawing Name:  IMG_8739.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  9.6 KB

So I ordered the shell molds and the scale cookie cutter I will do the experiment when it arrives

Ok update this does work you can use silicone caulk with plastic cookie cutters and you can make the scales what we did is we filled in the inside of the cookie-cutter with the caulk and then spread it however I will not be using this idea for a tail as it's not very flexible and it dries thick so I think it would be a very uncomfortable wear however it easily came loose from the plastic cookie cutter

Hmm I can understand what you mean by the thickness, I tried this method on my dorsal, but I sculpted my mold, I'm glad it worked though

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    check youtube for "moldable silicon caulking" There are quite a few artists with different methods of working silicon caulk in moulds, by thinning it to a pourable or paintable state, or moulding it into different kinds of putties. I'm looking into the Starching "silicon clay" method for moulds, but also there's a method with dish-soap so you can handle it and squish just the 100% silicon into moulds.
    As for scales: has anyone looked into craft punches for scrap-booking, other than just the circles? They'll cut silicon sheets, rubber matts, plastic, and craft foam...
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!