Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disability in the Mer-world

I think that's how it goes a lot of the time. People on the outside look at disabilities thinking they must be horrible all the time (and certainly there are people with that mentality), but for the most part the people who have to actually live with them and the people they're close to get over it fairly quickly. It's just a Thing, it doesn't mean that you can't have a normal life. Like, guys, just cause he's sitting down doesn't mean he hates everything in the world and just wants to stay in bed all the time. He's actually pretty active. People with disabilities do everything everyone else does, they just might have to modify it a bit. And then there's the whole other Dr Phil show of people saying things like, "oh, you're such a sweet couple to be together" and all that blah blah. Sometimes I sit down. Sometimes I stand up. Just because he doesn't do the latter doesn't mean squat about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Aegean View Post
    I think that's how it goes a lot of the time. People on the outside look at disabilities thinking they must be horrible all the time (and certainly there are people with that mentality), but for the most part the people who have to actually live with them and the people they're close to get over it fairly quickly. It's just a Thing, it doesn't mean that you can't have a normal life. Like, guys, just cause he's sitting down doesn't mean he hates everything in the world and just wants to stay in bed all the time. He's actually pretty active. People with disabilities do everything everyone else does, they just might have to modify it a bit. And then there's the whole other Dr Phil show of people saying things like, "oh, you're such a sweet couple to be together" and all that blah blah. Sometimes I sit down. Sometimes I stand up. Just because he doesn't do the latter doesn't mean squat about anything.
    That's so well put! I'm glad you are inputting your and his perspective on things.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Aww, thanks! It's nice to be able to talk about it in a just factual way, that will actually benefit others.

Hi there. Ive been reading through this thread as new stuff pops up and just wanted to offer my experience. I am not a wheelchair user in normal life (i do have some physical chronic issues but not really relevant to my mermaiding usually?). I have a wheelchair for convention events. I decorated it up so hopefully people would know that it is only for my mermaid use, I do not want to take away attention from wheelchair cosplayers.

The only reactions I have had from other people in wheelchairs have been extremely positive. Usually just a casual wave or shared gripe about the layout of a building. (Being in a chair really has opened my eyes to architecture in a new way. Seriously, who puts columns in a bathroom :/) But at my last event there was a young girl there who was attending her first convention. We had a long (like half hour) talk. She was really excited to see someone in a wheelchair even if not for medical reasons because she was worried she would stand out. We talked about cosplays she wanted to do and my experiences in a chair at bigger cons and i showed her Misa on Wheels (totally check her out). She was just really excited that someone could rock elaborate costumes in a wheelchair, that even the chair could be seen as beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I'm just now seeing this, Mermaid Mia, but that's such an amazing story!
    That makes me less scared of being in a wheelchair to cart me in my tail !!!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

I have autism if that adds on to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MERMAN JOHN W. HOOD

Question for people with autism: would a mermaid tail substitute for a sensory body sock?
    H.P. Lovecraft “You fool, Warren is DEAD!”

I suppose it could, though my autism isn't severe enough to require sensory devices. But it is extremely calming. It's effectiveness would likely depend on the person's preferences, and the material of the tail.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Hey, I'm new here! *waves hello* *pun intentional*
    I'm disabled both in real life and as my mersona. I have a lot of issues, mostly mental health stuff like anxiety and depression. I have PTSD that makes me panic when I'm submerged in water and I'll legit pass out, so for now I'm a land mermaid. I built this into my mersona actually so I don't have to have awkward conversations, especially when so many people still think only retired military can have PTSD. My mersona was born without gills, so she was raised on land, and she isn't a good swimmer, so she doesn't go in the deep end. I'm still deciding if she has Autism (I do, and it's not something I can fake not having very well). I actually had to argue with this girl recently about getting a wheelchair for mermaiding. (She's a bully and finds any way to attack me, especially if it relates to mermaiding). I had to explain to her that I have issues (we are pretty sure it's anemia) during my periods where I'll get leg cramps from hell and be really dizzy and weak, and sometimes pass out. My current lack of a formal diagnosis of it makes my anxiety too bad to get a wheelchair for during that, but my brain accepts mermaiding as a reason, so finally gonna be getting myself a wheelchair. Def gonna decorate it mermaidy though. Not like a lot probably, but like I might paint shells or pearls on the sides or smt. I'm getting a silicone tail this summer and I'm so excited!!!

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    This is a very interesting topic. It is also interesting how this ties in with the furry world as well! In fact, even Steampunk, Ren Faire, etc. My assumption is that the smaller 'community', besides being a LOT more open-minded and accepting, seems to serve a surrogate sense of 'belonging', which I myself tend to feel. And yes, I have physical and emotional limitations as well - Vestibular Syndrome, ie: vertigo, disequilibrium. Plus resulting depression and whatnot that sprang from that. (As well as family emotional dysfunction.) I would think (and also observe with my own self) is that we feel 'rejected' or in some way 'alienated' from the more typical world. (Which has a LOT of massive problems, so one has to wonder what IS better...!) My intuition tells me that is the case - we have a place where we can just *be*, whatever the particular flavor - furry, mer, or otherwise. A hybrid almost between a fantasy world, yet with strong elements still of reality. In other words, where we 'fit'... I love the observation that being in the water DOES afford one (especially with structural issues such as handicaps involving 'normal' function - walking, etc.) Water is a realm where one can be supported (boyancy, etc) and thus affords an 'alternate' world of functionality. I can also see where various mental aspects such as ASD, BPD, etc would feel less threatened or intimidated, thus allowing one to experience oneself in a more positive way.