Thread: Mer Exercises!

Mer Exercises!

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there were any specific exercises you do before "finning up" lol.

I am a first time mermaid and I am wondering if there are certain exercises I should do, like stretching, before swimming in my tail.

The first few times I've gone out in just my fin, my ankles hurt quite a bit. I would suggest definitely stretching out your ankles and calves before swimming. Things like calf raises are great! And you can put on your fin or tail and pull gently on the tip of the fin to stretch your calves while sitting. I would also say things like back bends and bridges could help if you plan to do any kind of back flip int he water or other tricks.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    The first few times I've gone out in just my fin, my ankles hurt quite a bit. I would suggest definitely stretching out your ankles and calves before swimming. Things like calf raises are great! And you can put on your fin or tail and pull gently on the tip of the fin to stretch your calves while sitting. I would also say things like back bends and bridges could help if you plan to do any kind of back flip int he water or other tricks.
    I never would have thought to stretch with the fin on but that makes complete sense. Noted!

Once I figure out a perfect exercise routine I'll have to share it back on here 😝

Long stretch or yoga routines like Sun Salutations would also help to slow your heart and open your lungs for breath holds.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Long stretch or yoga routines like Sun Salutations would also help to slow your heart and open your lungs for breath holds.
    Oh yes! Yoga before swimming sounds so relaxing!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lieke's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Lieke on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Lieke's Youtube Channel
    Yoga is great before any sport. I also found out that running helps me a lot with pumping up my lungcapacity.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk
    Follow my mermaid journey on Instagram and Facebook <3

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

I love the idea of doing a quick yoga session before swimming. Might have to start adding that to my routine before I swim
    Formerly known as MermaidSasha

Here is a great video I found of a Mermaid Workout!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vnfZ-JQbvs

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    I've found that the same exercises I'd do to warm up my feet and ankles for ballet are awesome for swimming with a fin or tail. YouTube has lots of videos if you look up stuff like "dancers foot exercises" or "ballet feet warmup." Warning, dancer feet are ugly, but now I can say the same for my mermaid feet too!

Yoga sounds awesome! I just took a yoga class last semester for school and I loved it! I definitely love running and that helps me to hold my breath underwater longer.
    Be kind, Always.

Quote Originally Posted by samthemermaid View Post
    Here is a great video I found of a Mermaid Workout!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vnfZ-JQbvs garten of banban
    I'm looking for Mermaid Exercises! Exactly what I needed, thank you for sharing it <3