Thread: 9 Hour Drive Down Florida - Any Mermaid Must Dos?

9 Hour Drive Down Florida - Any Mermaid Must Dos?

Hi Mers,
    Soon we will be traveling down to Tampa FL to pick up my Grandparents. As the title suggests I want to make sure I can fit in lots of mermaid things to make the trip more exciting. We all agreed last time we traveled to Tampa that taking all those fun stops made the trip far better than just being stuck in the car the whole time. I am definitely looking for locations where I can get out and swim in my tail, but also any interesting mermaid destinations or shops.

Weeki Wachee

The last trip we tried to get in Weeki Wachee but we got there too late. On the way back there was a big storm so they were closed due to the weather. Hopefully this year we will have better luck!

As far as Weeki Wachee goes, if you have any tips of things I have to see or do if I get in let me know. I definitely want to catch one of their mermaid shows. The only time I have been in Weeki Wachee was when I was too little to remember most of my experience (I don't remember watching them perform at all).

Other than Weeki Wachee, do you have any other recommendations?

Here are some other ideas I had:

Swim in the Swanee River - Is there a particular area you like to swim at in the Swanee? We passed over it traveling and I was considering swimming in it because it was so pretty.

Swim in a spring - I love springs so if there is a particular one along the way that is the 'best' spring, let minnow. I will be checking the spring locator map in the meantime.

Unfortunately we are just traveling down to pick up my Grandparents so it won't be a very long trip, but I hope to fit in as much as I can! I have been really stressed lately since this is my final semester in college and the work is piling up, so this is a much needed mini trip for me.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    You HAVE to go to Manatee Springs in Cheifland. BEAUTIFUL springs with a deep boil. Crystal clear water... the works.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Oh I forgot about Manatee Springs! Thanks Marlin I really hope that we will have time for me to go there.

Would there be manatees in the spring this time of year or is it still too soon for them to head to the springs for the winter?
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Oh that's a good point. I don't think so yet; but if they are in there the park staff wont let you swim. You can watch them though, which is always cool.
    Even mermaids need tech support.

We were just in Florida and snorkeled with the manatees at Crystal River. We went to Birds Underwater which was amazing! If you stop there tell RedShoeRobb (guide) Jackie sent you! They're a super ethical and knowledgeable company. We went out to see the Tees in the morning and that afternoon they docked and let us swim in a spring.
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Now you are really making me want to look at that private island for sale in the neighboring St Martins river near Ozello!
    Attachment 39185
    Last edited by Merman Dan; 10-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Wow I knew there were rules about swimming with manatees but I didn't realize some places will close swimming if they show up.

Merman Dan - That looks like a really big island! Have you seen that TV show where people buy private islands to live on? Some of the islands people get only have enough room for their house. I think it would be more exciting to have a lot of room on your island. I personally would cover the island with peacocks & perhaps some other random animals - maybe elk.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidNerenia View Post
    We were just in Florida and snorkeled with the manatees at Crystal River. We went to Birds Underwater which was amazing! If you stop there tell RedShoeRobb (guide) Jackie sent you! They're a super ethical and knowledgeable company. We went out to see the Tees in the morning and that afternoon they docked and let us swim in a spring.
    That sounds really fun! I was just looking at their website. If we have time I would love to go on one of their tours but if we don't have time it is definitely going down on my list of things to do for a future trip.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

It was cool, at the end of the trip they pulled up next to a restaurant where men were cleaning fresh caught fish out on the dock back by their kitchens. Apparently it's a little show they do for customers occasionally. One of the men went in and grabbed 3 or 4 fish and tossed them into the water one by one and HUGE HUGE HUGE Tarpon came out of nowhere and gobbled them up before the seagulls could get them. They told us the Tarpon like to hang out by the docks to get fish. They can get up to 280 lbs! They said occasionally they'll miss the fish and snag the seagulls!
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Wow that would be an amazing sight to see! I have always wanted to see big tarpon.

Unfortunately the status of our trip is pending right now as we watch the hurricane. I really hope it doesn't hit.

Edit - Yep we aren't going on our trip. I hope everyone in the path of Hurricane Matthew will be safe!

Thanks to everyone who helped give me ideas of things to do. We are trying to find a future date when we can go.
    Last edited by Mermaid Alea; 10-06-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants