Thread: Difference between scale tipping, individual scales and none of the aforementioned?

Difference between scale tipping, individual scales and none of the aforementioned?

Hi merpeople

I'm saving up for my finfolk tail.

In order to know how much I should save up; what is the difference between scale tipping, individual scales and none of the aforementioned? The scale tipping upgrade is 250 dollars, the individual scales upgrade is 1000 dollars. What does it look like, exactly?

If anyone could post comparison pictures, that would be fintastic!

hope this helps on the individual scale:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHjc8Q5xtK8

normal scales i believe they use a scale sheet which is more tighter uniform of a look.

scale tipping is more of a look, that can bring out the tail colors a bit more, or accent the tail overall. on a personal stance scale tipping isint my thing, i feel that it will come off after a while, but that's my opinion. To each their own

The New York Mermaid linked to a good video showing the individual scales. Basically you can somewhat lift them up and they have more of a 3D effect. Perhaps a con of an individual scale tail is getting sand and other things stuck under your scales. This video also shows an individual scale tail (also with a blended waist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riWY3-BJas8

The regular scales are all created from one sheet - meaning they cast just one long sheet of scales and then make that into the body. The scales cannot be raised up like the individual scales but they do still have a 3D quality.

Scale tipping is when they hand paint the edges of each scale on your tail. This helps accentuate the scales even more or helps to add a small pop of color. While many people choose to have their scales tipped in gold, you can have it tipped in whatever color you want. So you could have blue scales tipped in red! Here is an example of a closeup shot of scale tipping in gold: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ8jx3VBiNc/?hl=en Here is a full shot of scale tipping on a tail: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKqb4IjgRz0/?hl=en

I am sure you could also get specific with the scale tipping, such as saying only add it to the scales around the ankles or down the sides of the tail, etc.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    I may have spent way too much time in trying to figure out the differences of the individual scales vs. scale tipping but I can spot the difference pretty well. The biggest key between the two (besides price) is the seams, which on Finfolk are already a little hard to see. Another difference is when you move, the scales breathe with the movements. You could also say, tipping is more of the design whereas individual scales are part of the structure. (That's how I break my tail into; structure and design) These are all the ones I know are individual:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.52.25 PM.png
Views: 412
Size:  829.8 KB
    Tom's tail

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.53.10 PM.png
Views: 384
Size:  697.4 KB
    Mermaid Dahlia's

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.55.22 PM.png
Views: 392
Size:  772.6 KB
    Mermaid Jule's*

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.56.08 PM.png
Views: 387
Size:  435.2 KB
    Wands and Wishes Mermaids

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.56.29 PM.png
Views: 392
Size:  466.4 KB
    Unknown

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.56.56 PM.png
Views: 412
Size:  668.7 KB
    Lyrique's*

Scale tipping plays on a three-dimensional illusion of individual scales (and can add more to the individual upgrade). This option is also much cheaper, which is why it's popular.

This is a before/after comparison:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.27.12 AM.png
Views: 386
Size:  511.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 12.27.20 AM.png
Views: 329
Size:  702.4 KB

I have emailed them asking about mold under the scales (cause hey they flip up, stuff can get under). Abby responded, "We usually do a few individual scale tails a year, and we have never found that they have issues with mold. The most important part is rinsing and drying them after every use!" So as they say in the video, you just need to clean them.

I decided not to go with individual scales because 1. Even though they say no, I still worry against mold (its a big issue in my house); 2. I chose more fins over individual for my budget; 3. I don't believe the underside is colored (see Dahlia's video that Alea posted) and is more light peach colored. This could work if your skin tone matches, and you can say you paint your scales like your nails, but if it doesn't you may need another answer -I just feel kids may ask about this. Also, depending on the design, scale tipping works just as well. I feel certain designs, you actually don't need the tipping cause the design already enhances the detailing in the scales (I really hope that makes sense)

I also feel it depends on what you plan to do with the tail. If you're going to with kids or guests, up close, then individual would be fun. I know Mermaid Jule's plays on this; the pink mermaid. If you're leaning towards more aquariums or behind the tank, then it's up in the air whether you want the upgrade or not. Another thing to consider, is also your design and what could help enhance it. At the end of the day, it's what you like. I hope this was helpful.
    Last edited by Mer Coralia; 10-20-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added names of mermaid tail owners*

Good point about the individual scales not having paint underneath. The light color you see when the scale is lifted up is actually the base color Finfolk chose for the silicone. Before they go to pour silicone into a mold, they will usually tint the silicone with the main color that the tail will be. This is a good thing to do because if your tail's paint gets scratched, the silicone underneath will match the tail pretty well and the missing paint won't be as noticeable. I think because Dahlia's tail was mainly light purple in the front they went with a light color for the 'base' thus why in some areas when she lifted the scales it was a drastic color change underneath. If you did go with the individual scales you could probably ask them to use a certain color for the base silicone so that when you lift the scales you see that color.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali badkidbebe's Avatar
    This is super informative! I've been bouncing back and forth between individual scales and regular and I think I'll go with regular! thank you for all these posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk