Thread: Tail Design Repeats?

Tail Design Repeats?

I have recently been taking steps towards ordering my first silicone tail. As such, I have been sketching designs and finally arrived at one I was very happy with. However, when I began looking at tail makers, I saw a mer with a tail that was extremely similar to the design I have. What does one do in this situation? I'm reluctant to let go of the design I have because I love it so much, but I also don't want to be a copier or detract from the specialness of this mermaid's beautiful tail. If I were to adjust my design, is changing the shape and coloring of the fluke/number of additional fins enough?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Personally I see no issue with tails that looks similar, it kinda gives the idea of a same species mermaid
    As long as its not a complete copy down to the last detail, Ive even seen artists from various parts of the world evolve into a unique art style that looks so similar one cant distinguish between their works! One can only be so creative before colliding with someone else's creativity.. Ive had people tell me my art style looks like a bad copy of "Insert other artists name here" work.
    As long as you have unique traits in your tail that screams YOU, then its unique!
    Hope this helps a bit!*

I think it depends just how similar it is.

Would you be happy to post a pic of the design and the tail you're worried about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will post pictures of both as soon as I get back from classes today!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Sometimes just reaching out to the other mer makes them feel better and prevents any drama. People ask me all the time, and the funny thing is, my tail is copied from Splash. I got permission/blessing from the people who made it, and it's still different than the splash tail, but I always find it funny when people ask me haha. But it's nice, it shows they care and don't want my feelings hurt

Most mers dont care so long as there are some differences.