Thread: Mahina VS Mirage Monofins

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Shimmer Mermaid's Avatar

Mahina VS Mirage Monofins

Hey guys, I'm on the market for a rubber monofin. I have narrowed it down to either a Mahina or a Mirage. I know the Mahina is SO much bigger than the Mirage meaning I can shape it to how I want it. But I don't have a whole lot of information on how the Mahina holds up, how it swims, etc.

I know the Mirage is small, and it's quite nice for tricks and flips, which I love.

Has anyone had experience with both????
    Tell me your secrets, sailor.. and I'll whisper mine in return.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Yes.

Personally, I found the Mahina pretty heavy in the water. I know people say rubber is neutrally buoyant, for me, it wasn't. This is mainly because I don't have much core strength, I found it very tiring to swim with the merfin. Hard for me to make turns and try flips, because it is so big! And my local pool is only 2.0m deep.

With the Mirage, the fin in water is quite light, but it hurt my feet too much because they are bigger than the recommended feet size. And I was squashing in my little hamster feet in there and cramping up too much!

Both monofins, I could swim very fast, and glide along too. Both have pros and cons, if you are not a strong swimmer and your feet are outside the range of the recommended size (Mirage fin).

I found my Sun Tail monofin is much more nicer to my feet. The tilting that I experienced with it, I just glued on a pair of flippers. I now have better control of the fin and can use it for lap swimming.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I just watched your reviews on them on youtube! Luckily because of me constantly riding horses, I have more core and leg strength than anything else. I am personally pretty buoyant alone, so I think the Mahina might help mellow that out a little bit.
    Watching videos of the Mahina swimming and the Mirage swimming, they look equally as fast in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer Mermaid View Post
    I just watched your reviews on them on youtube! Luckily because of me constantly riding horses, I have more core and leg strength than anything else. I am personally pretty buoyant alone, so I think the Mahina might help mellow that out a little bit.
    Watching videos of the Mahina swimming and the Mirage swimming, they look equally as fast in the water?
    Hehe! I'm a silly fishy! I just realised it was you that posted, not some new person! *sigh* This is what I get for staying up way past my bedtime, its 7am now!

I can't even stay up to 10 pm! Let alone pull an all nighter! Haha

I blame it on menopause. I haven't had a good night's sleep in two years! Sleeping in daytime like a vampire!!!

Hi mer's i have the mahina fin and i too find it a bit tiresome to swim in, and it still hurts my ankles some, im looking to sell it now to purchase the mirage rubber fin which is smaller and easier to handle since i have lots of feet issues

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Iamonlyme@me.com's Avatar
    Add Iamonlyme@me.com on Facebook
    Me and my daughter use the mahina and we love it!!! We use it in lakes and pools. Neither of us have experienced the foot cramps I had read about and we don't find the weight bothersome. My daughter uses the mahina in her spandex silicone hybrid tail and I use it by itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a video review on my Mirage monofin.

Pros: It fits in my finfun/magictail/suntail skins, flexible and stays on well.
    Cons: VERY TIGHT and the rubber where the strap attaches actually broke. (Not a huge deal for me as its so tight that it stays on!)
    Name:  Photo_00004.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  27.6 KB
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

I have a Mahina which I loved until just recently when out of nowhere it decided to cause massive blisters along the side of my feet and by massive we're talking about an inch and half long. I have not been able to get the damn things to heal and I'm fighting infection because of it. I love the shape of my mahina and it is great in the water but this experience has really put me off swimming in it and I'll be keen to get my silicone tail with a finis inside.
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Salacia View Post
    I have a Mahina which I loved until just recently when out of nowhere it decided to cause massive blisters along the side of my feet and by massive we're talking about an inch and half long. I have not been able to get the damn things to heal and I'm fighting infection because of it. I love the shape of my mahina and it is great in the water but this experience has really put me off swimming in it and I'll be keen to get my silicone tail with a finis inside.
    That sucks! I've recently taken to wearing some things socks with my Mirage to prevent blisters but if yours are already there that's pretty unfortunate. I know mermaids with silicone tails with finis monofins still cam get blisters too. A friend of mine suggested getting neoprene socks to prevent rubbing of the feet.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

That is one of the reasons I am not sure if I should get a Mahina or not. I keep reading about people getting blisters with them. I don't like the idea of having to wear neoprene socks but I do like the looks of the Mahina.

One of the reviews I read the mermaid said that if you swim in the Mahina longer than an hour you will start getting the blisters. Perhaps your sudden blisters are because you are spending more time in your monofin?
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    That is one of the reasons I am not sure if I should get a Mahina or not. I keep reading about people getting blisters with them. I don't like the idea of having to wear neoprene socks but I do like the looks of the Mahina.

One of the reviews I read the mermaid said that if you swim in the Mahina longer than an hour you will start getting the blisters. Perhaps your sudden blisters are because you are spending more time in your monofin?
    i have swam in my merfin for the past 6 months, over an hour at a time and have had no blisters. i am uk size 5 and ordered merfin adult size small. i have had to cut out some rubber by the toes to properly accomodate my toes, as before my feet were squished up and cramping badly. perhaps all this blistering people are having is because the fin is too big.? mine fits great and is great to swim in.