Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therians/Otherkins

Therians/Otherkins

Hello!
    Some of you may know me , I've posted a couple times and commented on some threads , but anyways , hello again if you don't know me!

Before I begin , I ask that you please don't say anything rude ( like "what a bunch of idiots ". Please keep you opinions to yourself . it's hard enough even being Therian/otherkin without backlash , and I/we definitely don't care for more.)

I made this thread for all the therians/otherkins here on MerNetwork!
    So if you would like to comment , feel free!

Also , if your just looking for answers to questions you may have about this belief , don't be shy to ask! Im sure I can answer with a complete answer that makes sense.

So , hi!

(Admins , if you feel that this thread is wrong , feel free to delete it or move it!)

I'm not otherkin / therian. But i have many friends who are. They consider me the ''human of the pack'', as they like to call.

Junior Member North Pacific Pod
    Question: Are my facts right that Otherkin/therians do not accept (or simply refuse to live a human life?) their human body forms, and instead identify with an animal or mythical beast because they have a spiritual connection to that creature?

When I read about this stuff on tumblr I felt like I kind of identified with it because I find my connection to water, the sea, marine life, mermaids etc to be honestly spiritual to a degree. But when I saw the examples of others online identifying as fictional book, anime, tv, etc it stuck me as sort of off. Like thats not what I had interpretted it to be.

So how do you define otherkin? therian? Is there a difference for you?

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarian View Post
    I felt like I kind of identified with it because I find my connection to water, the sea, marine life, mermaids etc to be honestly spiritual to a degree. But when I saw the examples of others online identifying as fictional book, anime, tv, etc it stuck me as sort of off.
    I know exactly what you mean.
    There was a thread about otherkin stuff going here a year or two ago, and I checked that out, always having felt that deep, emotional connection to all things aquatic.
    Seeing all this talk about fetishes and anime figures then convinced me pretty fast that this therian or whatever community wasn't my gig. xD

While it would be nice to find people who feel the same way, you are not likely to find them there imo.
    And not that many here, either. Most discussions here are about dress-up and tailmaking, environmental topics aren't very popular it seems.
    Nothing wrong with that, mind. It was just a disappointment for me to discover so many "mers" don't really give a hoot about nature.

So if you're looking for company, I suggest working with environmental groups in your area, Greenpeace, Sea Shepherd, whatever you find.
    I feel very much among likeminded individuals with those and maybe you will, too.

Oml this is such a late reply ;-;

NothernPrincess ,
    Wow. That actually made me snicker a bit XD. Mine is quite the opposite though.

Wooven ,
    Not exactly , haha. The majority of therians/otherkins do realize that they have a human body. Most will willingly tell you that they have hands , feet , toes , etc. So most of us do accept a human way of life. (Well , there are some posers who are all like "Oh look at me , I'm a vampire *hiss hiss* and they will tell you shapeshifting is possible. No , it's not ;-; . )

Aquatarian ,
    To me , the only difference I see between therians and otherkins is what kind of creature you have a a kintype/theriotype. Therians being the group who have a earthy animal , like a cat or owl. Otherkin in the group of dragons , Angels , etc.
    It did kind of shock me about the whole identifying as a fictional character , I mean don't get me wrong here I do not judge. (These guys are known as fictionkin )

Echidna ,
    I feel you! Every time I see a Mer who just doesn't care about the environment boils my blood. I don't understand how they can just , not , care. .-.

I hope I cleared up some question you guys had :3

I identify as a therian and also fictionkin.

There's been a few threads on the subject around here in the past, the topic tends to come up every so often

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Exdraghunt ,
    Awesome!
    I didn't mean to offend you earlier , if I did at all. I didn't mean "shock" as in a bad way. I won't judge anyone for who they are

I'd say I'm dragonkin. I wouldn't say I identify as one, but I do identify a lot and love them. They're definitely my favorite animal by a long shot, and I love everything to do with them. Movies, books, comics, tv shows.

I've been enameled with them since I was a really young child, reading the dragonology books (of which I own all of them!), American Dragon, and the Inheritance Cycle and How To Train Your Dragon have done the most influence on me. I've spent 4-5 hours a day reading them and fanfiction of them since I was 10, and I'm 17 now.

So yeah. I'm probably Dragonkin.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Hej I saw this thread and I thought I jump in. I'm also a Tigerwolf Polykin and Otherkin as well. But I take more after the Sabertooth tiger. in the Tigerwolf.
    Where words fail,music speaks - Hans Christian Andersen

Takahao ,
    Oo! I love dragons as well ^-^ . Speaking of dragons , have you ever heard of the game Flight Rising? It's basically a very , very fleshed out game you can play on mobile or your computer , and you don't even install a app!

TigerWolfoftheSea ,
    I see where your username comes from now haha! I'm still trying to figure out my cat theriotype , even though my Timber wolf theriotype is usually dominate. I've also never heard of a person with a saber-toothed tiger theriotype! That is super cool :o

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    I would say that I'm dragon kin. I have always felt that I'm different and that my body does not show how I feel inside. I never told any of my close family, cause I was sure they wouldn't understand. But when I met my husband, that changed. He was very open to that idea and is happy I don't hide it from him
    Your imagination is your only limit

Azurin Luna ,
    That is so sweet :o
    It's great when both partners are very open with each other , and aren't secretive! I hope you two stay together for a very very long time!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Meerihua's Avatar
    Mermaidkin, of course! I'm also Dragonkin and Amphitherekin, but Mermaidkin has been even more important to me. That's why it delights me so much that there's an entire forum dedicated to become a mermaid!

Follow Teeny on Tumblr
    I might be mermaidkin, I think that I am. But the weird part of the otherkin community and the troll accounts make kin people seem weird, and the amount of fake kins is just disappointing, and so I don't really want to be the part of a community like that.

Teeny ,
    I totally understand were your coming from. Because of this reason I don't even mention anything about my kin on social media , except here , because the majority of MerNetwork is full of people who are mature enough to respect others. Besides , even if you dont mention your kin , you get yo have all the fun to yourself

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    *jumps in here*

I no longer identify as otherkin due to various personal reasons and experiencing the otherkin and therian communities degrade since 2005...but my beliefs in being a hippocampus would still 'technically' be grouped as otherkin. I don't take the label anymore nor do I want to be associated wiith otherkin.

I've 'been aware' of my beastly aspects of myself since 2001. Hippocampus emerged in 2011.

There is some other stuff I identify as and related things I am into but being a hippoc is the whole reason I started mermaiding. But thats as much as I will say. Believe it or not I used to be a BIG name in otherkin circa 2007 to maybe 2012ish.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 05-03-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Trade Winds ,

That is so unique! Hippocamps are so elegant <3
    I honestly don't blame you , the entire community is ridiculous. Like Teeny said , the amount of mis-information is overwhelming. It makes all of us look like weirdos and its getting to the point where even I , a social media addict is wanting to just shut everything down. I honestly don't like mentioning my kintype too anyone , it's just a wildfire from there ;-;
    Never heard of Circa , but I guess it's a cool thing that you used to be real (can't find the word) "popular" there !

Quote Originally Posted by Sepharina View Post
    Trade Winds ,

That is so unique! Hippocamps are so elegant <3
    I honestly don't blame you , the entire community is ridiculous. Like Teeny said , the amount of mis-information is overwhelming. It makes all of us look like weirdos and its getting to the point where even I , a social media addict is wanting to just shut everything down. I honestly don't like mentioning my kintype too anyone , it's just a wildfire from there ;-;
    Never heard of Circa , but I guess it's a cool thing that you used to be real (can't find the word) "popular" there !
    Oh, 'circa' means 'around this time'. I meant in the therian community in those years, a lot of people considered me a guru and knowledgable. I still have people seek me out wanting my old writings for online collections...which I DON'T want cuz I want to wipe my name from otherkin altogether (The library, Mikto's Darkfang archive, and someone messaging me on a furry website for an anthropological collection are a few examples)

I was on Werelist, otherkin.org, Werenet, and OKC for quite a while...probly some other sites too but I forget. They were great when I got into in 2005 but about 2009 things were getting bad. I have written a few looong essays about it but will stop rambling here. I imagine where otherkin congregate has changed with tumblr being so popular. Most of the sites I use to be on have shut down. They were so helpful and awesome, which would explain why there is so much stupidity around
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 05-03-2017 at 01:42 PM.

I know of 2 other hippocampi and an ickthyocentaur, and a handful of mermaids. Aquatic beings are rare, at least they were the last time I bothered to look a few yrs ago