Thread: This mermaid needs help getting her fins

This mermaid needs help getting her fins

So I want to make a silicone mermaid tail. I've done sooo much research but there's one problem; I'm not finding the tutorial I want. Does anyone know a way to model my tail after the ones in mako? I don't want it is be as long but I have a little pet peeve about seeing the heel while swimming as it destroys the illusion in my opinion. Does anyone know how the mako tails were made or how I could do something similar?

There are a few tail threads about H2O/Mako tails, try searching "extended tail" in the search bar. There are also some threads showing the creation process of the H20 tails too.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Mako tails are extended tails and not many Mer's have chosen to take on the task of making one. There is one tutorial on YouTube and the woman makes an extended tail using PVC pipe as the extension which I have seen that it would be best not to use because it is so stiff. There are a few threads on here and I will try to leave the links....hope this helps! And remember silicone tails aren't a cheap project in the first place and extendes tails add to the price.

The YouTube one:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjFrxbR-ACE

Jazz's: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...id-Tail!/page2

Merman Marinus's:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-Project/page4

Idea's for extended tails:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-Designs/page3

This is a thread were they discuss an extended tail and weight the pro's and con's:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...o-amp-Splash-)

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys I have read the other threads but they didn't really answer my question. I don't want to make a full extended tail; I just want to build up around the heel so that its outline is not visible in the tail as your moving if that makes sense. Is there a way to do that or would extended be my only option?

I am actually working on that too! I am not sure that you can completely get rid of the heel completely without having some sort of small extentsion....

I designed a monofin to try and hide my heels, but there are some kinks that I have to fix and redesign slighty..

I am thinking about molding a piece that makes the back of my heels flat with clay. I was then going to make a mold from plaster of it and pour silicone. Then I plan on placing it inside my tail so the measurements for my heels were made wider.

Example:

This would hide your heels but the fluke won't be completely flat and straight like with an extended tail...the extra silcone would also add more weight...

It's just an idea and I have still yet to test it. I will let you know when I do, if you like the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    I am actually working on that too! I am not sure that you can completely get rid of the heel completely without having some sort of small extentsion....

I designed a monofin to try and hide my heels, but there are some kinks that I have to fix and redesign slighty..

I am thinking about molding a piece that makes the back of my heels flat with clay. I was then going to make a mold from plaster of it and pour silicone. Then I plan on placing it inside my tail so the measurements for my heels were made wider.

Example:

This would hide your heels but the fluke won't be completely flat and straight like with an extended tail...the extra silcone would also add more weight...

It's just an idea and I have still yet to test it. I will let you know when I do, if you like the idea...

OMG yes please! If this works it may be exactly what I'm looking for!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brinnneyy View Post
    OMG yes please! If this works it may be exactly what I'm looking for!

And you'd still have full rotation of your heels which I thought would be cool...my only concern is that it might prove more challenging to get your monofin straps on...

Also it might be a little bit before I will actually get it done...I am only able to work on my tail on the weekends and I am in the process of changing a few things...

You can follow my tail making thread here:

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...(Mermaid-Izzy)

Mermaid Linden has a tail that hides her heels. I think the silicone was just casted thicker on the back (I have a feeling the tail was sculpted on a body form, like MOO does and they just built up the clay around the heels )

Here's a wip picture of her tail

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Mermaid Linden has a tail that hides her heels. I think the silicone was just casted thicker on the back (I have a feeling the tail was sculpted on a body form, like MOO does and they just built up the clay around the heels )

Are there any other threads about how she did her tail or something like it?

Quote Originally Posted by brinnneyy View Post
    Are there any other threads about how she did her tail or something like it?

There videos on YouTube...If you google her you can probably find them...that's where I got my idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    There videos on YouTube...If you google her you can probably find them...that's where I got my idea...

Can you put the links up cuz I can't find them

There is a small part in this that shows how her tail was made...I have watched it a few times...it shows how her feet are placed inside

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7FI_Yz8MvKg

This one is about the making of her tail, I found it while doing some digging once...