Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick prototype midrange hybrid tail for a possible etsy store

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    Ty for your feedback. The company I purchased it from didn't say neoprin but I will look into it. Although with this prototype, I skinned it in silicone so I don't think it will be able to really loose it's shape. Perhaps I will change the options and skin all that I make?

I just watched the video on the reference thread on here about neoprene verses neoprin and put a scrap piece of the fabric to the same testing as she did and it retained it's shape even after I twisted and pulled it in every direction. I know it's not pure neoprene but it didn't act like the neoprin in the video but now I'm nervous about the idea of selling something that won't hold up. I think I will only offer the tails with the silicone skin just to be safe. It'll make the base price higher but I don't want to sell a bad product. My koi tail has held up nicely made of this material with the silicone over it.
    Last edited by mermaid mazu; 01-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest Mermaid Marius's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Marius On Twitter
    Follow Mermaid Marius on Tumblr
    I saw your koi tail! It was lovely!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It's so pretty! Would you also be having scale add-on options for an additional cost?

If I was you, for good professional photos I would invest in 2-3 yards of a solid colored cotton fabric, that way you can use it as a backdrop for your photos and it would look really professional without leaving your workspace/ hiring a photographer, and it's a lot easier to edit the photos afterwards (for me anyways) because sometimes with a non solid background making a photo brighter will wash out certain aspects of the background.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    I agree, test for a while first. Scuba knit is ok, neoprin is often marketed as a cheap ( kinda alternative) "neoprene", (much like a certain tailmaker) which it's not and so many mers have gotten confused over this, as said you wouldn't want such a gorgeous product ruined after a few swims due to fabric. If at all possible to have a close up of one of the edges of the fabric?
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

it is gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tried to get a good picture of the fabric edge but you can't really tell the details. I've also been looking at various distributors of the "neoprene" and can't tell from their pictures either which means I would always be nervous so I think the best thing would be to only offer it skinned in silicone. That way I know it will hold its shape. As for offering a scaled version, maybe down the road. I'm currently working on a tail for myself that I am scaling. It takes a lot longer so my turn around would be slower. We will see after I finish mine how I feel about the idea of doing more like it lol

Oh, as for pictures, I want to get pictures of it in the water but I got sick right after I finished it so we didn't go swimming.

The design and colours are absolutely gorgeous. Was it a Coral Beauty Angelfish you based it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  2017-01-23 10.37.21.png
Views: 198
Size:  416.4 KB I don't know what he is, but he is beautiful

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Looks wonderful! I would keep testing your prototype and stress test some fabric swatches without a coating as well. It may not be actual neoprin OR neoprene, but fabrics do strange things in water. Always better to do lots of tests. Great work!

After looking into all of this I honestly think I will only offer it with the silicone coating. I know from my koi tail that it holds up made that way and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think they look better with the silicone anyway. Ty very much everyone for your feedback, you very possibly saved me from having unhappy customers. That's the last thing I want! I want to make beautiful tails that'll take a beating lol

Name:  2017-01-28 16.11.14.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  491.4 KB Name:  2017-01-28 16.11.35.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  495.7 KB Name:  2017-01-28 16.12.01.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  693.9 KB a few pics of it on