Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Be a Mermaid with all of these issues?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar

Question Can I Be a Mermaid with all of these issues?

So, I have hopes that, soon, if the tides are going my way, that I may be able to be a mermaid for hire! Or just one that does so as volunteer work.

But so many things lay ahead of me and I'd love to ask some questions to this community! Maybe some of you mers can answer my questions...

1.) I have to wear one-piece bathing suits according to my religion. So yes, shell bra is out of the question.
    Is there any way I can incorporate that into my character and make it to where I still can keep my morals? Will this affect the crowd I draw in, or will my tail be enough to keep them staring? :P

2.) Who should I seek out for advice? [Legally and just as non-professional help]
    I also mean financial advice, how to start a bushiness up that is JUST for hire [but I'd love to go to schools, camps, etc.!] I know Raina Mermaid has books and vlogs on it, but I've watched every vlog all the way through and didn't see anything that could help me start this mermaid buisness up, here in the USA. I don't want to buy the book just yet until I see whether or not it'd benefit me...
    So - does anyone have any other good material / sources / advice for me? Free or not, it's appreciated!

3.) Due to an ear infection that I never took medicine for [I fought it out, and man did it hurt...], I can't swim past 6 feet of water without excruciating pain in my ears.
    I don't know how to equalize very well and I'm afraid of destroying my eardrums or something.
    Will this hinder the stuff I do, such as parties or anything?

Thank you all in advance!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

I'm not pro by any means, so I can't help there, but I relate to the ear thing and wearing one piece bathing suits (I more so do it because I like more coverage though)! I don't see why the inability to go deeper than six feet would be much of an issue. Unless you wanted to go swim in an aquarium or something, I don't see why you'd need to be that deep. People want to see you at a party, after all, and if you're doing one with small children it's probably a good idea to stay in shallow water anyways, especially if they're in the water with you. Plus lots of mermaids are hired for dry events and those can be just as fun! What are your thoughts on tankinis? I know not all of them have full coverage, but in a tail it should cover any gaps! I recently got one from venus.com and it's long enough to go over my swimsuit bottoms if I choose (I highly recommend them, cute designs in tankinis and one pieces, however, it is a bit spendy)! If not, I'm sure you could get some really cool one pieces and accessorize them really neat. What about making a full body tail? That would be cool as well. Or you could get a two piece one with a long top that would blend in to the tail body so it looks one piece but would make your life much easier (I have no idea what type of a budget you're working with so none of this might be feasible because that cannot be cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Aegean View Post
    I'm not pro by any means, so I can't help there, but I relate to the ear thing and wearing one piece bathing suits (I more so do it because I like more coverage though)! I don't see why the inability to go deeper than six feet would be much of an issue. Unless you wanted to go swim in an aquarium or something, I don't see why you'd need to be that deep. People want to see you at a party, after all, and if you're doing one with small children it's probably a good idea to stay in shallow water anyways, especially if they're in the water with you. Plus lots of mermaids are hired for dry events and those can be just as fun! What are your thoughts on tankinis? I know not all of them have full coverage, but in a tail it should cover any gaps! I recently got one from venus.com and it's long enough to go over my swimsuit bottoms if I choose (I highly recommend them, cute designs in tankinis and one pieces, however, it is a bit spendy)! If not, I'm sure you could get some really cool one pieces and accessorize them really neat. What about making a full body tail? That would be cool as well. Or you could get a two piece one with a long top that would blend in to the tail body so it looks one piece but would make your life much easier (I have no idea what type of a budget you're working with so none of this might be feasible because that cannot be cheap).
    Oh wow, thank you for all the advice!

That's good to know, yes! I definitely don't want to do anything for aquariums, though, as I am anti-captivity for anything that has high intelligence, so that won't be an issue! Thanks so much!!!

I'd never heard nor seen a "tankini" before, but that seems like it could really work! I does exactly what I need it to do - thank you for telling me about them!!!
    I'm not saved up enough to make my own tail yet, but I do have some designs. It'll just be fabric for a little while until I build up the muscle and stamina required for a heavy rubber tail, so the tankini would work fantastically!

Again, this was extremely helpful!
    hanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    In terms of swimming depth, once you get 2 to 3 feet down, your fin no longer interacts with the surface, and you get the same experience as if you were swimming deeper.

To do a back flip effectively, at one point your head will be 5 to 6 feet deep.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    In terms of swimming depth, once you get 2 to 3 feet down, your fin no longer interacts with the surface, and you get the same experience as if you were swimming deeper.

To do a back flip effectively, at one point your head will be 5 to 6 feet deep.
    Oh, really? Well, I'll have to work on that, then!
    Thanks for letting me know

To quote a fellow mer: even if you don't have a tail , if you feel it in your heart then you're still a mermaid.

to answer your questions in order:
    yes of course you still can still be a mermaid and cover up. There are no rules.. there's plenty of mers on Instagram who cover up.
    the second question I can't answer.
    but the third one, merman arion actually can't swim at deep lengths because he's deaf and swimming at deep depths is a potential risk for his hearing and will make it worse (he has a little bit of hearing left). So you're actually not alone in this :P hope it helps!
    The SeaGlass Siren

I just wanted to say something for #1:
    There are some mers who even have silicone tops made for them that cover their whole stomach and some even have tails that cover their whole body. People don't mind and it might be better for kids parties anyways. Sometimes mermaids are asked to wear more modest tops.

I let my friend swim in one of my fabric tails. She is more modest than I am - she wears long skirts normally, she hardly ever wears shorts, etc. She swam with a T-shirt on and she realized my tail was very stretchy so she pulled it up high. It looked really cool that way but either way she looked cool because she was a mermaid!

You can fancy up a one piece bathing suit to look mermaidy too. You have a whole lot more area to work with than you would for a regular mermaid top. You could cover the one piece in netting to look like you wrap your upper half in netting and perhaps the netting has pearls or shells dangling from it. Or you could sew strips of fabric to the one piece so that when you were swimming it would float around and look neat.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Thank you both!
    It's very inspiring to be so uplifted by all this support <3

I sometimes prefer to wear a one piece with my tails due to the nature of how I swim (plus as a Christian I want to incorporate that into my mersona). As for diving deep, I honestly hardly go past 7 or 8 feet when swimming for fun so it's not much of an issue.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    So, I have hopes that, soon, if the tides are going my way, that I may be able to be a mermaid for hire! Or just one that does so as volunteer work.

But so many things lay ahead of me and I'd love to ask some questions to this community! Maybe some of you mers can answer my questions...

1.) I have to wear one-piece bathing suits according to my religion. So yes, shell bra is out of the question.
    Is there any way I can incorporate that into my character and make it to where I still can keep my morals? Will this affect the crowd I draw in, or will my tail be enough to keep them staring? :P

2.) Who should I seek out for advice? [Legally and just as non-professional help]
    I also mean financial advice, how to start a bushiness up that is JUST for hire [but I'd love to go to schools, camps, etc.!] I know Raina Mermaid has books and vlogs on it, but I've watched every vlog all the way through and didn't see anything that could help me start this mermaid buisness up, here in the USA. I don't want to buy the book just yet until I see whether or not it'd benefit me...
    So - does anyone have any other good material / sources / advice for me? Free or not, it's appreciated!

3.) Due to an ear infection that I never took medicine for [I fought it out, and man did it hurt...], I can't swim past 6 feet of water without excruciating pain in my ears.
    I don't know how to equalize very well and I'm afraid of destroying my eardrums or something.
    Will this hinder the stuff I do, such as parties or anything?

Thank you all in advance!
    <3
    Hey, I'm definitely no pro but you can totally put a mermaid bra on your onepiece! And looks really cute too.
    You don't have to wear you belly out if that is a problem...

you can also make your tail longer on the torso. looks cute as well....

and about the earm probably all the others already said that but wear EARPLUGS. go for it!

Add KYounglove on Facebook
    If you wanted to wear the clean shell bra, you could always find a nude swimsuit or wear dancers tights underneath. If your going "traditional" mermaid.
    As for your ears, try clear silicone ear plugs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Add KYounglove on Facebook
    Also for parties, assuming your swimming with a younger crowd, they will want to interact with you anyway. So you shouldn't have to go too deep.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

You can still wear shells! Just wear them over a one piece bikini or tankini. I'm working on a design for my Clamkini shell tops that offers belly coverage. My mermom has an amazing bod for 60+ years and 4 kids! But she still prefers to cover up and I want to make a mermaidy top that she feels great in. When she wears a fabric tail she likes to pull the tail skin right up over her belly to the bottom of her bikini top, that works too. One fabric tail was even long enough to go all the way over her bikini top.
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Just a tip, if you are going to go the earplug route, make sure you get special vented ear plugs, otherwise the pressure has no where to go and you can damage your eardrums. 😊 Goodluck and happy mermaiding !

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Stella the Siren has an amazing red and white tail she wore with a one-piece, and to be honest, it's my favorite fabric tail combo to this day! 😊 Pearlie Mae has a full-coverage silicone tail/top and it is fantastic ❤

I only just started being able to even swim in the deep end without floaties a couple of weeks ago, and I dived below 5ft for the first time - I've always had problems equalizing as well, apparently its easier for me now that I got my tonsils removed, LOL!

I also found that the waterproof MP3 player I was using (I'm in the process of reviewing it) wouldn't make sound after the 5ft mark, so it kind of helped me figure out where the point is I need to equalize.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    1- a mermaid on my team incorporated a body suit and a shell bra and layers into her outfit for religious reasons.

2- check out my free resources: www.makemeamermaid.com

3- I am a full time pro mermaid who wears ear plugs with an award winning business and I cant go past 10ft without pain, you'll be fine

Thank you all! This is all so extremely helpful! <3

I'm glad that I'll still be able to be a great mermaid !!!
    You're all amazing <3

@AinaR - Thank you for the website! And I didn't know you had a mer on your team who did that! That's awesome
    It's nice to meet you !!!

@Miyu - I just saw the mer you're talking about, and wow, that tail IS stunning! <3
    And it's great to hear that you're improving !!! Maybe I should finally get my tonsils removed like my doctor wants to! Other than that, I guess I gotta practice a bit more, too! ;P
    That's a neat trick with the MP3! I thought about getting a divers watch or something that told me how deep I'm going so I can see if I can condition myself to be able to go deep again.

@Avya - They make vented earplugs? Awesome! I'll look into those; thank you! <3

@HamptonsMermaid - Let me know how that goes for you! It sounds like a great idea <3
    Thanks for the advice !!!

@KYoungLove - That makes sense! Thanks so much !!!

@H-SAMA - I'll definitely go for it! Thank you! <3

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I'm glad to see that the advice I would give is basically already here! Mermaid Dottie has a scale top that covers her tummy, and I have been considering a "nude" colored leotard so that my arms, back, and tummy can be covered when i am out in the cold. Its the same trick ice skaters and other performers use, so i figure it would work for mermaids, but if you want to be more believable upon closer scrutiny, there are options. IIRC there was a modest mermaid thread that you might want to look through.... Let me look for a link.....

AHA: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...odest+mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    I'm glad to see that the advice I would give is basically already here! Mermaid Dottie has a scale top that covers her tummy, and I have been considering a "nude" colored leotard so that my arms, back, and tummy can be covered when i am out in the cold. Its the same trick ice skaters and other performers use, so i figure it would work for mermaids, but if you want to be more believable upon closer scrutiny, there are options. IIRC there was a modest mermaid thread that you might want to look through.... Let me look for a link.....

AHA: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...odest+mermaids
    Thanks for the thread link ! <3
    And thanks for the advice!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod