Thread: Best monotail for a beginner?

Best monotail for a beginner?

Hello,

I am new to mermaiding but can't wait to get started on my trip to Hawaii this year.

I am looking to buy a monfin and tail costume that looks great and works great!

I am looking in the $200 range.

I have searched Fin fun and Magic Tail.... but thought I would ask the experts!

What is the best looking and best working tail that I can get and use as a beginner.

I have wider feet and hips fyi, but will likely be letting other friends play with this.

I want it to work in the pools, lake or ocean bay.

I am sure you have all had this discussion / question before so thanks in advance for all your help!

Una-Fish ;-)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Finfun and Magictail are both great options! My advice would be to choose the ones that you like the look of and also to check out the review section of the forum! Also, if you would like to introduce yourself in the introductions section, we would all like to get to know you a little bit!

Go for Fin Fun. I have one, and it's pretty good. Monofins feet pockets allow for any feet size, be it small or large. I have wide feet, and it gets the job done. It's also on your price range.
    The world sees us as Merfolk
    We see ourselves as a Pod, as a family
    We live to swim

FinFun is my #1 recommended tail for beginners. I let many different people try out my collection of tails and by far the easiest monofin for most people who have never used one before is the one from finfun.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    FinFun is my #1 recommended tail for beginners. I let many different people try out my collection of tails and by far the easiest monofin for most people who have never used one before is the one from finfun.

Your review backed with Mermaid Tula recommendation is what made me order the finfun tail which should be here Friday. I wanted to personally say thank you for the information. I still haven't decided if I'll be swimming with my glasses on since you make it look so amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Your review backed with Mermaid Tula recommendation is what made me order the finfun tail which should be here Friday. I wanted to personally say thank you for the information. I still haven't decided if I'll be swimming with my glasses on since you make it look so amazing.
    Awww thank you so much I'm so glad I could help 😃 and swimming with glasses on is a great feeling and adds to my asthetic.

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Add KYounglove on Facebook
    I also went with finfun. And I'm very happy with the look and quality.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I got a Swimtails tail for my first one, and while it looked nice when it arrived, it didn't take long for all the lovely glitter to start falling off. It's a little beat-up now from my shallow pool, but still works just fine and looks good from a distance, at least! They do have some non-glittery options, so those would probably wear better. And they offer custom sizing, but it doesn't take stretch into account, so my custom-sized one is way too big.

I've since gotten a Suntails tail, which doesn't have the glitter, so no problems there. It's also open on the bottom, so I can more easily take the monofin out and rinse the whole thing after swimming (and swim with just the fin if I prefer). I haven't had as much chance to use it as I have the Swimtails one, but I'm quite happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by vicemage View Post
    I got a Swimtails tail for my first one, and while it looked nice when it arrived, it didn't take long for all the lovely glitter to start falling off. It's a little beat-up now from my shallow pool, but still works just fine and looks good from a distance, at least! They do have some non-glittery options, so those would probably wear better. And they offer custom sizing, but it doesn't take stretch into account, so my custom-sized one is way too big.

I've since gotten a Suntails tail, which doesn't have the glitter, so no problems there. It's also open on the bottom, so I can more easily take the monofin out and rinse the whole thing after swimming (and swim with just the fin if I prefer). I haven't had as much chance to use it as I have the Swimtails one, but I'm quite happy with it!
    Which one of the swimtails did you get? Are you happier with your Suntails tail?

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Which one of the swimtails did you get? Are you happier with your Suntails tail?

I think the one I got was called "Black Dragon" or "Sea Dragon..." It doesn't look like they carry it anymore, and most of the designs don't look too glittery, so they should be more durable now!

I'm still getting used to the Suntails tail, and the fact that it fits better will definitely skew things. I like that it has the open end on the fin, which makes it a lot easier to rinse and dry. On the flipside, I'm a bit "fluffy" and it's a little trickier for me to get into the Suntails tail on my own (another swimmer helped me the first time), though I'm getting used to it. I pulled the fin out of the Swimtails tail and haven't really quite succeeded at getting it back in properly; there's an extra bit of fabric in there to reinforce the corners and base, but it's tricky aligning it with the fin.

The fins are different styles, too; Swimtails comes with a fin with plastic foot cups and a plastic strap that periodically comes loose for me. Suntails comes with a fin with neoprene foot cups that don't slide off, but my feet shift when I turn. So there's a definite balance between the two! I might try another Swimtails skin in the future to see how I feel when it fits properly, and I'll definitely get more from Suntails, too, since they have a lot of options I love, but I don't have buyer's remorse on either one.

Quote Originally Posted by vicemage View Post
    I think the one I got was called "Black Dragon" or "Sea Dragon..." It doesn't look like they carry it anymore, and most of the designs don't look too glittery, so they should be more durable now!

I'm still getting used to the Suntails tail, and the fact that it fits better will definitely skew things. I like that it has the open end on the fin, which makes it a lot easier to rinse and dry. On the flipside, I'm a bit "fluffy" and it's a little trickier for me to get into the Suntails tail on my own (another swimmer helped me the first time), though I'm getting used to it. I pulled the fin out of the Swimtails tail and haven't really quite succeeded at getting it back in properly; there's an extra bit of fabric in there to reinforce the corners and base, but it's tricky aligning it with the fin.

The fins are different styles, too; Swimtails comes with a fin with plastic foot cups and a plastic strap that periodically comes loose for me. Suntails comes with a fin with neoprene foot cups that don't slide off, but my feet shift when I turn. So there's a definite balance between the two! I might try another Swimtails skin in the future to see how I feel when it fits properly, and I'll definitely get more from Suntails, too, since they have a lot of options I love, but I don't have buyer's remorse on either one.
    This is really great info! I found the same with my suntails monofin too, and don't worry about the skin - it will stretch and conform to your body to fit you better.

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

This is really great info! I found the same with my suntails monofin too, and don't worry about the skin - it will stretch and conform to your body to fit you better.

Don't worry, the Suntails one fits me perfectly!

It's the Swimtails one that doesn't fit; I custom ordered it to my measurements, and they cut it to exactly that size... which doesn't take into account the stretchiness of the fabric. So it doesn't fit closely while dry, and when it gets wet it tends to slide down a lot. If I get another skin from them, it'll be a regular size instead, since I know better now.

Fin Fun for sure, I'm a beginner as well and I love my fin fun tail. I've worn it in the pool and in the ocean, though with ocean swimming I would recommend making sure that the waters are relatively calm because the mono fin doesn't have as much propulsion as a Finis or Mahina.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    Finfun is a pretty great company that's local to me. I dropped by their office a while back with my daughter, mom and my husband. (Dad was in hospital in Idaho Falls) They let us look at some of the new fabrics that they were going to be working with, and I got to see the black pro monofin before it went out into production. They also gave my daughter a mermaid doll and one of the Mermaiden posters. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming, even though we just dropped in unannounced.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Definitely FinFun! It's safer than most with it's quick kick an pull safety option!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

That's the same way I get out of both of mine, though?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk