Thread: Convincing the Pool Administrator! (Responses needed ASAP!)

Convincing the Pool Administrator! (Responses needed ASAP!)

Hello Lovelies,

I seem to have found myself in a bit of a situation here- nothing bad, nothing bad- but I wrote the Pool's Administrator last Thursday (maybe it was Friday)- anyway and he finally responded today to my asking about mermaid tail skins. He didn't give a yes or a no, yet; he just said he hadn't ever heard of such a thing and would want to see what it was for himself before he could give the go ahead. So we have an appointment set up for tomorrow (as that's the last bit he'll be in town for a few days) to see the skin and monofin in person. I know a lot of pools around the world are banning the tails- and I really, really don't want to have that happen here because I haven't even had a chance to properly swim in mine! That being said- I was hoping to bring some persuasive material/statements with me when I go? I don't want to call them arguments- but just things to help make my case that we should allow these tails for experienced swimmers. I figure I can suggest only allowing me to use it in the shallow pool where I can stand up even in the tail (I wouldn't want to, but I mean emergency situations I'd rather stand on the tail than drown)I could also suggest only swimming at night when the pool isn't very crowded... I also feel a little awkward being in my 20s and asking about wearing a mermaid tail, because sometimes you get weird looks for being a Mer Xp, but I also really want to have a place to swim in my tail... This pool is a short walk away from where I'm staying- and the only one nearby I have heard of allowing tails is about a thirty minute drive-which I doubt I can do frequently... (while I'm at school, I don't have reliable transportation or much gas money...)

Anyway if anyone knows of anything good to mention or bring up- ANY help is appreciated! I really want to convince them to let me swim there as a mermaid! Thank you in advance!!!

Being a mermaid is more than just a past time to some people I know me personally as a transgender female it's a way to finally be myself a beautiful enchanting creature it's an escape from the harsh realities of u need me to prepare a statement I can email you one asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Hi Steam. I have a Fin Fun Tail and I used that to my advantage when I convince my local rec center. I advised them it's very safe and the fabric itself is the same exact material used in swim suit. The Monofin itself is quick to get off so there really any danger of not being able to get out. Plus the monofin itself is floaty so there no be dragged down. Just like with excitement and sell them to the idea where you are getting them excited about it. Even offer to let them try it self around their lifeguard friend to see just how safe it really is. I'm sure you'll be fine

http://halifaxmermaids.weebly.com/safety.html use this resource about monofins and tails! I printed out the handout to give to my manager at the pool I lifeguard at and we are still very mermaid friendly!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

@AmnestyTreasures That is a really good point. I don't think I need a statement or anything just yet (But I really, really, really appreciate that you'd be willing to do that!). I think that a lot of people view mermaid-ing as a big part of their identity and not just a hobby. I know I feel a lot less anxious when I'm swimming and my mersona is a bit more bold than I! Haha. Or rather- I feel empowered as my mersona.

@Slim My tail is a Suntail's tail, but that is super similar to Fin Fun. Both monofins are easy to kick out of if needed and have holes in the bottom for safe removal of the fin. I planned on having a safety video saved in my phone to be able to show the features in action. I do like the idea of being excited about it, because I am. I have practiced with just the monofin a whole bunch, and feel super comfortable with it- and really feel ready to move on to the next phase in my mermaid adventures! My monofin has come off a few times because it wasn't adjusted right, and it just floats right back to the top- I empty out the water, sit back on the edge and put it back on. I'm just anxious haha..

Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate the suggestions. Very good points to make!

@faithonthebass This is awesome! Yes I feel like this would be a great thing to take with me and have a copy to give to the Administrator! Thank you so much!

I have a site MermaidSafety.com if you would like to check that out too! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SteampunkMermaid01 View Post
    My tail is a Suntail's tail, but that is super similar to Fin Fun. Both monofins are easy to kick out of if needed and have holes in the bottom for safe removal of the fin. I planned on having a safety video saved in my phone to be able to show the features in action. I do like the idea of being excited about it, because I am. I have practiced with just the monofin a whole bunch, and feel super comfortable with it- and really feel ready to move on to the next phase in my mermaid adventures! My monofin has come off a few times because it wasn't adjusted right, and it just floats right back to the top- I empty out the water, sit back on the edge and put it back on. I'm just anxious haha..
    I put out a video on the suntail monofin as well that has a bit of information on its removal and safety in action https://youtu.be/ZB5_PJ8PbNg

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    The main thing is to keep in contact with them, give them the safety specs, and also a demonstration that you won't drown once you're in your tail. I had to show not only the lifeguards, but some of the administration how I got in and out of the tail, I also did a lap across the pool, did a 'stand', pretty much staying in one place like treading water. After that, they were pretty ok with me, and just told me to keep an eye on kids and other swimmers so I didn't hit them with my tail.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Oh my goodness thank you guys for so much support! This has been so great! I've stared outlining articles to print off tonight- and have a few videos/times of when they start discussing safety. I'm going to bring the Suntails safety page for sure, because it gives specific details about the brand of tail. After my meeting tonight with a church group- I plan on coming home and practicing putting it on and taking it off in case they want to see that (I just know when I'm super nervous I tend to do stupid stuff haha- so having the extra practice will help keep me calm...) The guy seemed pretty relax about monofins, and I think this really is just a question of what it is- because if he doesn't know and he was like "Oh yeah sure!" and I then came into the pool strapped to a ton of rocks and drowned he'd probably get into trouble (plus this is a college campus athletic representative type person, so I think it would make sense to get a good understanding of mermaiding/the mermaid before giving a thumbs up)... I just hope I can provide a decent amount of information. I find it weird that this has never come up here before- I mean a lot of people I have talked to know what it is/think it's really cool. Hopefully, I make a good impression and represent the Mer community well! Ahh sooo nervous haha!!!!

Oh my goodness thank you guys for so much support! This has been so great! I've stared outlining articles to print off tonight- and have a few videos/times of when they start discussing safety. I'm going to bring the Suntails safety page for sure, because it gives specific details about the brand of tail. After my meeting tonight with a church group- I plan on coming home and practicing putting it on and taking it off in case they want to see that (I just know when I'm super nervous I tend to do stupid stuff haha- so having the extra practice will help keep me calm...) The guy seemed pretty relax about monofins, and I think this really is just a question of what it is- because if he doesn't know and he was like "Oh yeah sure!" and I then came into the pool strapped to a ton of rocks and drowned he'd probably get into trouble (plus this is a college campus athletic representative type person, so I think it would make sense to get a good understanding of mermaiding/the mermaid before giving a thumbs up)... I just hope I can provide a decent amount of information. I find it weird that this has never come up here before- I mean a lot of people I have talked to know what it is/think it's really cool. Hopefully, I make a good impression and represent the Mer community well! Ahh sooo nervous haha!!!!
    It seems like they're pretty chill there so I'm sure you'll do awesome! Coming from a lifeguarding standpoint, they pretty much want to make sure you aren't bringing anything into their facility that will make you a liability but a demonstration of how you can safely swim in and take off the tail will ease them.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Yeah, it seems to be that- which is good because it means there is a chance at convincing them. I'm just nervous, this afternoon is getting so close...

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Let us know how it goes!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Will do. 15 more minutes to wait haha... I am so anxious lol

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Hello again Lovelies!

I have returned from the office of the Pool Administrator- and still have no definitive answer! He wants to run the idea by his Supervisor (as the pool is a part of a gym and so there is an over all facility supervisor and then people who over see the pool, rock wall, and weight room stuff) and he wants to talk to other local pools about their stance on the matter. He was very nice and said he thought the tail was "cool", but it felt more like a "What are kids today coming up with?" sort of a comment. Either way I will likely have to wait for a month for an answer- because the Pool Administrator is leaving until the last week of February - so if I don't hear back by the end of the month I'm supposed to send another email (though he did say he hoped he could contact other people about it sooner to respond sooner)... The suspense is already killing me haha! On the bright side- it sounds like I can continue to use my monofin in the pool. (He was surprised to see how big it was though and asked if anyone was upset with me bringing it- I said no one has ever seemed upset about it but a number of people have been amused/asked what it was for.- He also after holding it asked if it could cut anybody while I was swimming- ?.? I mean yeah it has some scratches on it from my learning curve, but even then the edges are still rounded (No real damage that could hurt anyone)- But that was kind of funny. He didn't seem to care to watch any of the videos, but he read all of the printed material that I presented- so that was good. I'm very glad I reprinted copies. Anyway I will be keeping my finger crossed that I get an answer soon! Thank you everyone for all the support- I will keep you updated with what I hear!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Hello again Lovelies!

I have returned from the office of the Pool Administrator- and still have no definitive answer! He wants to run the idea by his Supervisor (as the pool is a part of a gym and so there is an over all facility supervisor and then people who over see the pool, rock wall, and weight room stuff) and he wants to talk to other local pools about their stance on the matter. He was very nice and said he thought the tail was "cool", but it felt more like a "What are kids today coming up with?" sort of a comment. Either way I will likely have to wait for a month for an answer- because the Pool Administrator is leaving until the last week of February - so if I don't hear back by the end of the month I'm supposed to send another email (though he did say he hoped he could contact other people about it sooner to respond sooner)... The suspense is already killing me haha! On the bright side- it sounds like I can continue to use my monofin in the pool. (He was surprised to see how big it was though and asked if anyone was upset with me bringing it- I said no one has ever seemed upset about it but a number of people have been amused/asked what it was for.- He also after holding it asked if it could cut anybody while I was swimming- ?.? I mean yeah it has some scratches on it from my learning curve, but even then the edges are still rounded (No real damage that could hurt anyone)- But that was kind of funny. He didn't seem to care to watch any of the videos, but he read all of the printed material that I presented- so that was good. I'm very glad I reprinted copies. Anyway I will be keeping my finger crossed that I get an answer soon! Thank you everyone for all the support- I will keep you updated with what I hear!
    I'm proud of you. I couldn't had done as good as you did. I knew you had it in you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Or just show them photos from NC Mer-Mania.

Name:  ncmm2017pool.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  49.7 KB
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Let us know when you get an answer !!!
    I'm praying for you! Hopefully he will be understanding enough to allow you to use your tail/monofin !
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Thanks everyone so much!! I'm just waiting now to hear back... I've gone swimming a couple times in just the monofin since the meeting. He went on his trip already, so I won't hear back until the end of the month... just have to hang in there..

Sent from my Shell-Phone

I'd say keep swimming around in your monofin and show them how great you are using it
    The pool I go to has lifeguards that constantly say how good I am at swimming in my tail and it makes them give me more wiggle room. :P
    It might increase their confidence in saying "yes"!

<3