Thread: Nymphia's First Silicone Tail! (@SeeThroughSea)

Nymphia's First Silicone Tail! (@SeeThroughSea)

Whelp, it's finally happening. The start of my professional mermaiding will be on it's way soon. After swimming in 3 different fabric tails over the past 2-3 years my family and I have decided that if I was going to tackle this professionally, I might as well have a premium quality tail to match. I'll give my thoughts on the process so far as honestly I'm still in the process of ordering now and then I'll post a final review at the end once the tail actually comes in.

Ordering The Tail: I was looking around for tail-makers for the longest time and wasn't receiving any messages back from the ones I was really dying to work with (Finfolk Pro and Merbella Studios respectively, however Merbella's gets a pass because I didn't know Raven wasn't taking any more custom orders). So I continued my search, the Mertailor I've heard too many negative things about to even consider, I had thought about Mernation but I wasn't a big fan of their signature fluke shapes (however, I am hoping to get their Genesis for Ariel performances) so I was kind of stuck in a rut on who to choose.

Eventually I found a video on Youtube posted by Mermaid Saren who had just received a SeeThroughSea tail and I just fell in love with the fluke shape (I believe she got the Pualani Fluke) I immediately contacted them through email and was promptly greeted the next day by Alicia Ward who was such a big help in really getting down to the nitty gritty details as far as iridescent pigments, color patterns and signature details that'll make my tail stand out. She's also one of the nicest people I have ever met, after I was unemployed by Seaworld once my seasonal position had ended Alicia was super patient with me in getting the deposit to her that and we had a lot of fun conversations about scuba diving and Hawaii which I was hoping to visit one day.

With a lot of help from my mom and dad, we put in the initial Paypal deposit since we were kind of doing half to start and then finishing the final payment once the tail is finished.

The Design:The design of my tail is actually heavily inspired by two iridescent tails I had found via Instagram but I decided to put my own spin on it. I did want to add a bit of a rainbow-esque scheme on mine, since I am a gay man, but I didn't want it to be too obvious since I find usually bright neon rainbow tails a bit too much for me. I settled on using an iridescent blue as the main color scheme and blending sea green, purple and a tiny touch of a light yellow and a salmon pink as a highlight. I've always been a fan of pastel color schemes and it proved to be a nice medium between the rainbow implications that I wanted and the softer more delicate color palette that I love.

I also chose to have the colors be opalescent because it reminded me a lot of the mother of pearl lining an abalone or Pua shell. I wanted a tail that kind of shifted in the light the more you look at it. Plus I think it adds a little sense of realism since I think there are certain species of fish that do have that opalescent type quality.

Name:  IMG_3472.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  884.1 KB

Specifics

Overall Price for Everything: $2700 + $150 Shipping
    *They tell you to save at least $150-$250 for shipping and handling just in case but since I live in California I was told the shipping may be a bit less. The 150 is kind of a placeholder for now
    Scales: Parrotfish Scales
    Dorsal: Wana Dorsal Fin

Ankle Fins: I'o Ankle Fins
    Fluke Design: Pualani Fluke

*See Through Sea gives you the option of getting either complimentary ankle fins or a complimentary swim top to match the tail. After some negotiation, Alicia was kind enough to add both the ankle fins and the swim top to my order. For the top I decided on their shell top as well as making it themed to the likeness and shine of a red abalone shell. I have an abalone top already made by myself but I like the option of changing my look if
    need be
    Last edited by PrincessNymphiaoftheSea; 02-07-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    The Crystal Mermaid of The Seafarer's Grotto
    Princess Nymphia of the Sea
    Instagram: @crystallinemermaid
    Solo Performer Facebook: Nymphia the Crystal Mermaid
    Business Facebook: The Seafarer's Grotto: Mermaid for Hire

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar
    Your design is great!! Really love the colors! Can't wait to see it come alive!

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilija View Post
    Your design is great!! Really love the colors! Can't wait to see it come alive!
    I'm super excited to finally get it It's gone through ALOT of redesign changes to make sure that it's just right.

I'm hoping to actually add some embellishments myself like some little tiny Swarovski crystals on the main body of the tail just to make it unique but I can't really decide on the colors until the tail starts production

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessNymphiaoftheSea View Post
    I'm super excited to finally get it It's gone through ALOT of redesign changes to make sure that it's just right.

I'm hoping to actually add some embellishments myself like some little tiny Swarovski crystals on the main body of the tail just to make it unique but I can't really decide on the colors until the tail starts production
    That's such a great idea with the crystals! I thought about something like that because of my frost mersona it would make it sparkle even more! But I'm so afraid of ruining the tail!

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel
    wow it's going to be AMERzing!
    LOVED the color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by H-SAMA View Post
    wow it's going to be AMERzing!
    LOVED the color scheme.
    Thank you so much I've always been a huge fan of iridescent tails after seeing Mermaid Riia's and Jessica Pearl's new tail from Merbellas and I can't wait to finally unveil the design once it's ready. I may end up adding some crystals on the body as well to make it a little more unique. But I'm still trying to figure out a good adhesive to use on silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilija View Post
    That's such a great idea with the crystals! I thought about something like that because of my frost mersona it would make it sparkle even more! But I'm so afraid of ruining the tail!
    I think it would really depend on the adhesive as far as the crystals go. I was watching one of the behind the scenes videos from Traci Hines's Part of Your World video and I believe Traci used e6000 to add the rhinestones on her Ariel tail. Granted I think Traci's is a latex tail since it's one of the Mertailor's older models before he upgraded his simple tails to complete silicone. It would be fun to test out though.