Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think of mermaids as mammals?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Once again. This thread just Does Not Disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Also random thought: does anyone else feel that different mermaid tail companies are subspecies of mermaids. For example, mertailor mermaids are to finfun mermaids as wolves are to poodles. Anyone else agree? Because I feel like someone with a similar tail as mine is a member of my family!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    So, FOTB - is Mertailor not to be trusted? If so, I'd say they were Sharks...

Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    A: Merfolk breathe air;

B: Mermaids have live births - thus bellybuttons - and mammary glands to feed our milk to our young;

C: We have horizontal caudal fins/flukes like other cetaceans;

D: Most merfolk have hair of some sort or another. Keratin based, like scales, horns, and fingernails, leading into the following observation...

The thing that would be 'incorrect' on mers is fish-like scales. Perhaps, to be more accurate, we would have smooth dolphin skin or seal fur...or maybe scales like pangolin or armadillos, but in a more hydrodynamic fashion.

I think there's room for all kinds of merfolk, though. From the mythical to the evolutionarily-sensible, I'd love to see all kinds of mers!
    Concerning Point B: They're there for the young, but, just like toy trains at Christmas, it's always the mer-daddies who end up playing with them.

Who's to say Pangolins aren't hydrodynamic? I honestly don't know. Whatever it would take to get them away from Chinese hunters before they go extinct.

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    I'm in process of making a dragon inspired tail, I'm not sure what family that would put me in lol

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid mazu View Post
    I'm in process of making a dragon inspired tail, I'm not sure what family that would put me in lol
    You're a reptilian from planet Nibiru Hahahahahahaa

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Could some species of mermaids be air-breathers and surface-skimmers and some are more deep-sea water-breathers?
    I definitely am a surface skimmer, since I can't swim down more than 6 - 7 feet and I love the vibrant tails...

I just randomly had that thought inspired by this thread :P
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I know I'm more of a deep water breather once I can get pass figuring how how to equalize ear pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    Could some species of mermaids be air-breathers and surface-skimmers and some are more deep-sea water-breathers?
    I definitely am a surface skimmer, since I can't swim down more than 6 - 7 feet and I love the vibrant tails...

Just gonna leave this here
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Omg these are just too good, had to share...
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Actually seals are closer related to bears and raccoons.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Selkie Luna

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    I think they're just bringing up the similar adorable-ness

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post

I've had that very same thought. In fact, at one point, I thought that females were air-breathers to care for the young, while males were more suited to deep water. This explained the proliferation of merMAID sightings and virtually no merMEN.

Also, I saw a hashtag yesterday that I rather liked, I think better than 'merfolk'... #merma

Thoughts?

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    I've had that very same thought. In fact, at one point, I thought that females were air-breathers to care for the young, while males were more suited to deep water. This explained the proliferation of merMAID sightings and virtually no merMEN.

Also, I saw a hashtag yesterday that I rather liked, I think better than 'merfolk'... #merma

Thoughts?
    Oh that is a cool thought. A lot of marine species evolve like that too, females staying closer to the surface.

And merma sounds interesting. Not sure how I'd rank it against merfolk, though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    Is it weird that I get a little star struck when someone like pearliemae comments on my stuff lol there are certain mers that I've seen so much of through my tail research and instagram and such that they have reached sort of celebrity status in my mind

Add MerGreg on Facebook

Thoughts?
    What would Lewis say to this? Let's just ask him!

"Why! It's a city or a huge castle," said Lucy to herself. "But I wonder why they've built it on top of a high mountain?"

Long afterward when she was back in England and talked all these adventures over with Edmund, they thought of a reason and I am pretty sure it is the true one. In the sea, the deeper you go, the darker and colder it gets, and it is down there, in the dark and cold, the dangerous things live - the squid and the Sea Serpent and the Kraken. The valleys are the wild, unfriendly places. The sea-people feel about their valleys as we do about mountains, and feel about mountains as we feel about valleys. It is on the heights (or, as we would say, "in the shallows") that there is warmth and peace. The reckless hunters and brave knights of the sea go down into the depths on quests and adventures, but return home to the heights for rest and peace, courtesy and council, the sports, the dances and the songs. {C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, pp. 241-242}
    Perhaps our best proper name would be Merma, but merfolk being the more common term, and sea-people a more poetic one?

Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Is it weird that I get a little star struck when someone like pearliemae comments on my stuff lol there are certain mers that I've seen so much of through my tail research and instagram and such that they have reached sort of celebrity status in my mind
    It's not weird at all. Such people are your forerunners and online mentors, even if they didn't know it.

Mazu, you aren't the the only one. There are a couple mers here that I would love to have an autograph to hang on my wall and dresser because I get a little struck too. It's a small list in my case but those mers are: Freshwater_nim, Pearliemae, most definately Faithonthebass as I think this is the year she becomes the next breakout star on youtube (you can see the quality jump in the last couple months which is why I feel this is her year), Raina, you actually got on that list because your tail quality is unique and seen more love put into it compare to some of the other tail makers, and Celeste. I still answer back like everyone human though because we are all equal.

Last edited by Slim; 02-23-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: I forgot the r in struck and it got stuck.

Thoughts?
    Woah! I love that idea! I have been trying to find a good explanation for why it is always mermaid sightings and not mermen. Very awesome idea.

I definitely imagine there being merfolk that live at different levels in the water column. I like picturing some mers that live so deep down that they have huge, dark eyes and they collect little light up creatures and put them in a lantern and then they catch and eat the fish that are attracted to the light. They are always wishing that a decaying whale carcass will fall to the seafloor for them to gorge themselves on. Some of them take the whale bones and carve them into what they imagine land looks like. Others like to go giant squid ridding - because why not.

Some of the reef dwelling mers like to hang out with lots of fish and you can hardly see them as they swim across the reef because they are surrounded by a cloud of colorful fish. This could help them avoid being spotted by humans.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Can't we just copy the Legend of Zelda: OoT explanation of Ganondorf that only one male is born into the village every 100 years and say it's the same in the ocean with merman?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Woah! I love that idea! I have been trying to find a good explanation for why it is always mermaid sightings and not mermen. Very awesome idea.

I definitely imagine there being merfolk that live at different levels in the water column. I like picturing some mers that live so deep down that they have huge, dark eyes and they collect little light up creatures and put them in a lantern and then they catch and eat the fish that are attracted to the light. They are always wishing that a decaying whale carcass will fall to the seafloor for them to gorge themselves on. Some of them take the whale bones and carve them into what they imagine land looks like. Others like to go giant squid ridding - because why not.

Some of the reef dwelling mers like to hang out with lots of fish and you can hardly see them as they swim across the reef because they are surrounded by a cloud of colorful fish. This could help them avoid being spotted by humans.

Member Euro Pod
    Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post

This sounds sooo awesome

Gesendet von meinem 5022D mit Tapatalk