Thread: Silicone Tailmaker Recommendations?

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes

Silicone Tailmaker Recommendations?

Hello everyone! I'm a new mermaid, and do not yet have a custom tail. Yet, I'm already known for my 'Mersona' in my local area thanks to art pieces on display in a few places around poolhouses, online, and in one local gallery. I'm looking to buy a silicone tail to match my mersona that people have come to know me as, but I have a very particular, and I personally think, complicated tail design. Does anyone know any good, high quality silicone tailmakers that would be willing to take on this particular pattern and fluke shape? It'd mean a lot to me if some fellow mers could point me in the right direction. :3 I designed and drew this myself and have taken necessary steps to copyright the design just in case. This image is of poor quality, but this is just to get a feel for the design and such. I will be sending a much higher quality, probably digitalized 'blueprint' final draft to my tailmaker of choice.

Interesting tail naming story: My mer-trainor nicknamed this design the 'Weshi Koi", Weshi meaning 'little fish' in Native American, because while the pattern is koi-like, the colors are more natural and earthy and reminded him of colors used in Native American art and culture. A non-mer friend of mine calls it the "Pictured Rocks Tail" after the GORGEOUS rock faces in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. All colors on the tail are on the rocks, so I hope to go mermaiding there in this tail someday, provided I can successfully find a tailmaker willing to tackle this project. :3
    Thanks for taking the time to read, and I appreciate any and all advice. ^-^

~Mermaid Maxella
    Last edited by MaxellaRoe; 03-01-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: (Removing photo. Because I'm being needlessly careful with my design.)

I would try approaching both Finfolk and Merbella about it, or Seethroughsea. Other than that, maybe check around with some of the members here that have successfully created their own Silicone tails and ask them if they'd be willing and able to create yours.

It IS a beautiful tail!

I also have similar problems with which tailmaker and have decided that, when the time comes, I'll just be making the tail myself since I'd like my fins to be transparent/translucent.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    I would try approaching both Finfolk and Merbella about it, or Seethroughsea. Other than that, maybe check around with some of the members here that have successfully created their own Silicone tails and ask them if they'd be willing and able to create yours.

It IS a beautiful tail!

I also have similar problems with which tailmaker and have decided that, when the time comes, I'll just be making the tail myself since I'd like my fins to be transparent/translucent.
    I thought about making it myself, but even after doing research and study, and getting instruction, I still don't feel confident in my ability to make this particular tail on my own. I have other silicone designs that I'm going to make on my own, but they're simpler and easier to handle. This one has an intricate pattern, and lots of spiky, predatory looking fins. For this one I want to play it safe and put this tail in the hands of the experienced. ^-^ I messaged finfolk productions once, but they never got back to me. Maybe my email got lost, or they're backed up, or really busy and can't get back. Do you think Merbella's would do it? I heard they are not doing custom orders anymore. :/

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar
    Finfolk, Merbella and SeeThroughSea are definitely recommended! But Merbella currently doesn't take orders only commercial orders. I am now ordering a tail from SeeThroughSea and have a little diary on here so you maybe can check that out if you're researching! http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-SeeThroughSea! Also have a look in the forums and mail some of the businesses! A mail can never hurt and so you can get more information! Good luck!

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

It sounds like Seethroughsea is really on top of it's communications! You could try asking about it with them, and asking whether they'd do the custom molds for you- assuming that's the only custom thing along with the paint. I'd still ask about the forum though, who is up for a commission.

Hai Misty! I recomend MerNation! I noticed you said that you wanted to swim over by rocks , and MerNation cast their tails a little thicker , so I think it wouldn't be a problem with tearing or anything
    MerNation is CRAZY fast at replying to emails/messages , and the production times are drastically short. (Like , maybe 2 weeks to a month and its completed!)
    There based in (Tampa?) Florida , but they ship all over the world ;3 .
    I honestly haven't ever read a review that has been bad about them , either. MerNation I will admit can be a little rusty on the paint job , but every tail to them is improving their talent!
    I love your tails back story , too! But if you click with a certain tailmaker , go with them! I would trust my instincts about who to choose. I imagine it's a scary process ! (I have a fabric tail , and I'm in no way ready for silicone )

No matter who you go with , your tail is gonna rock! (See what I did there , lol. ) I can't wait to see pictures

I totally meant Max ! Not Misty haha. Sorry!! 😅

I would have recommended mernation too! But I don't think they do costum flukes and stuff... Only their pre designed flukes I think

I went to their website to double check , and it says
    "Custom sculpting options available to fit your specific needs"
    I'm not sure if this just means fins , or flukes. I'm guessing both? It doesn't specifically say which. O.o

0.0 I'll have to see about those custom sculpting options then. Even though I'm still making my own tail, it'd be a great thing to look into.

I think they mean just fins because most of them are always costume , never heard of them making custom flukes tho... It can be.. But not sure, you can ask?

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

I'm a bit too shy to ask them myself since I don't plan on using their services... I'd feel bad asking them about it, showing interest, then not ordering anything... is that strange?

I appreciate everyone's advice so far! I would be willing to take a tail from mernation, if they're willing to work with the shape. The fluke shape and pattern are about the only things I am not willing to compromise on. :3 I really hope I can find a tailmaker willing to work with me. I hear finfolk casts their tails thick with protective mesh between them.

Don't be shy! There are plenty of mers that just asked information without buying afterwards! I am now in the process of getting my SeeThroughSea tail but before that I asked information to mernation, finfolk , mertailor , and two others and ofcourse seethroughsea. Believe me they would be willing to give you the information you need!

I think most tailmakers would be willing to do a custom fluke shape if you are willing to pay the extra cost for them to make it.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus