Thread: Hello from the Netherlands!

Junior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Màiri's Avatar

Red face Hello from the Netherlands!

Hello mers, let me introduce myself:

I am Mermaid Màiri (for now, I don't really have a mermaid name yet, but for now this suits me well :-) ), or my real name: Marije. I've been on this forum since August, but never found the time to actually post anything. But here I am! I am 30 years old and come from the Netherlands. Currently I have a job as an English teacher at a secundary school (I'm in my last year of my degree).

I did a beginners mermaiding course at the mermaid school of Marijke Pie (Mermaid Crystal) in September and it was a dream come true. :-)
    I used to go to Scotland on holiday with my family almost every year and I also lived there for a year during my masters degree in European Archaeology and Celtic studies. I've always been passionate about everything Celtic and (pre-)history (I am an Irish dancer, play the harp, sing folk songs, speak Irish and Scottish Gaelic, etc.); this includes fairytales. I particularly love the stories about mermaids and selkies. Furthermore I like horseback riding, am a fan of Disney and love to go to fantasy festivals fully dressed up.

In July 2014 my dad passed away and I miss him dearly. He was such a huge fan of the ocean and everything fishy and he inspired me a great deal in this. It really helps that I live close to the beach (together with my dog, cat, rabbits, chickens, mum, sister and brother; hoping to find a place of my own next year). I love swimming and since August I am training with a small monofin.

Last Friday I started training (and getting lessons) with a big competitive monofin. I really love it! In the future I also hope to get my scuba diving certificate and get training in freediving. At the moment I own an eco mertailor fabric tail, but I'm dreaming of getting a full silicone tail by Merbella in the future.

Greetings from wintery Netherlands

Name:  13679939_10154382420227370_5538870462946727494_o.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  97.5 KB

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Hello and welcome fellow Dutchy
    Always nice to see more people from the Netherlands pop up on here
    Your imagination is your only limit

Welcome! Archaeology sounds fascinating! Must require a lot of patience though.
    Since you're such a big fairy tale fan, maybe you could tell us a bit about some of the lesser-known mermaid stories. I, for one, would love to hear about them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    We are happy to have you here with us.

Welkom op mernetwork! And what pretty makeup you have! ❤

Hallo! Fàilte! As I'm still studying Scottish Gaelic, and my phrases are still short- Ciamar a tha sibv?

I'm attempting to learn both Scottish and Irish Gaelic (because I love the langauges and the music is so beautiful/sometimes just silly) so it's exciting to meet someone who speaks them! Welcome to MerNetwork!!!

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Welcome!! I think I recognize you from the Dutch mermaid facebook group :3

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk