Thread: Mermaiding with color treated hair

Mermaiding with color treated hair

Hey everyone; so I've been thinking about dying my hair mint green for a while now but I'm kind of hesitant because I don't want to ruin the color or my hair with all the clorine I'll be exposing it to..
    Should i avaoid coloring my hair if I want to start mermaiding? Does anyone have any experience with trying to care for colored hair while frequently swimming?
    Last edited by SleepySiren; 02-16-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I'd also like to know about this! Hopefully someone can give you the answers you need

I'll also try to help out, and I'll let you know if I find any answers!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidJeanette's Avatar

Visit MermaidJeanette's Youtube Channel
    I would recommend buying a wig that is mini green because then you can wear it when ever you want and not have to worry about color changing like hair dry.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Bleaching your hair is a bad idea if you intend to spend a lot of time in chlorinated water. For a casual mer it might not be so bad, wash it thoroughly or soak with fresh water before going to the pool or use coconut oil in your hair before swimming to help prevent damage but for a professional who's going to spend a lot of hour in the pool it's probably not the best idea since I've read stories (mostly from Raina) that chlorine can melt bleached hair. That being said there are some mers who always have coloured hair like Mermaid Jessica Pearl from the Perth Mermaids and her hair is still quite long (though I cant attest to the health of her hair since I haven't seen it in person) it will definitely make the colours fade a lot quicker though and if you're using a product that's not exceptionally good for your hair in the first place you'll notice the health of your hair decline very rapidly.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    from personal experience, bleaching my hair (done professionally) made it fall out and turn to mush when I was mermaiding and has taken years to grow out. I also find color just gets zapped from chlorine even if you take a lot of precautions.

I was blonde for a while

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Then there is the crunchy hair after swimming. I found that even with coconut oil in my hair, I still ended up with crunchy hair!

Now that the dye has faded out, I didn't bother going back to redo it, as the chlorine will just ruin it.

My hair is natural black and silver now. Its back to my usual wash and wear style.
    Formerly known as ireneho