Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old mermaids?

Ooh, great post. So glad I came across this today. I'm turning 40 in April and in the past 2 years have really developed a passion for mermaids. I have 3 fabric tails and last week (after over a year of saving and wanting) have decided to put an order in for a silicone tail. The tail is mostly for my own pleasure but I've been wondering if I could do a few events too. I've been curious about age and wonder how much a concern it is when people get hired. How much do the kids, parents, event planners, customers require a young nubile mermaid or if quality character/costume/personality drive business?

"Majestic Order of the Silver Scale convene to advocate the rights of Mer everywhere!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Aerial Princess

Florida Springs Mermaid
    "You Can Swim With Us!"
    https://www.facebook.com/floridapods/

Tampa Bay Mermaid
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidaerialprincess/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I get the impression that the younger the children, the less 'classic' you have to be. As an older, heavier mer, my mersona is more Auntie Pearlie (a Mother Goose of Merma) and more grandmotherly, even though I lack the typical silver locks. Little kids don't care, they are just in awe of you, and seem less intimidated because you're a bit more maternal.

As the kids get older, they seem to get a little more critical, and expect an 'Ariel', or 'Pirates of the Caribbean' mermaid...but that's just my personal observation.

I like the Aunt Mer angel or with a group of other mermaids, I could be the "Mother Mermaid" LOL. I'd like to do some volunteer work at Fundraisers or Children's Hspls/YMCA/library etc. That would be fun! I need to research this a bit more.

Mermaid Aerial Princess

Florida Springs Mermaid
    "You Can Swim With Us!"

Tampa Bay Mermaid

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I may have to borrow your idea too. This may help get our names out in the public more by finding some volunteer work. When I get time, I'll start trying to check in my area but keep in mind that we kinda share the same area so I don't want to over step my bound being the unofficial Papa Mer.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLyra View Post
    I like the Aunt Mer angel or with a group of other mermaids, I could be the "Mother Mermaid" LOL. I'd like to do some volunteer work at Fundraisers or Children's Hspls/YMCA/library etc. That would be fun! I need to research this a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I may have to borrow your idea too. This may help get our names out in the public more by finding some volunteer work. When I get time, I'll start trying to check in my area but keep in mind that we kinda share the same area so I don't want to over step my bound being the unofficial Papa Mer.
    No worries about stepping on my fins. If you find work/gigs in Tampa Bay all the more power to you. Especially if it's the paying kind. Keep in mind (just my elder performer experience-Wise Silver fin talking here...Haha) unpaid volunteer gigs rarely leap into paid gigs. Exposure is rarely worth your time unless there is a guarantee of front page advertising. If you're going to volunteer make sure it's because it a cause you're passionate about.

That being said...I'd love to meet you and do a little Silver Fin meet up! Oh I can't wait to get my silicone tail!!!

Mermaid Aerial Princess

Florida Springs Mermaid
    "You Can Swim With Us!"

Tampa Bay Mermaid

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Once I get a couple gigs under my tail, I sure finding paid gigs will not be too much of a problem for me. With one of my two jobs has me being a salesman, building hype is pretty easy. Currently the thing that hurting me the most is the brakes on my van need to be fixed first. I'm currently in Lakeland so if you come in the area or we meet in the middle; I'll be happy for that swim. Usually in Lakeland I'm swimming with Rebela which she taught me well. It just would seem great to swim with someone near my age and not where I'm twice the age of them. No offense to Rebela. Once the brakes are fixed, I'll be happy to meet up in Tampa. My new tail will be arriving by the end of the week or early next week so I'm always up for a swim as I want to test it out in something that isn't a chlorine pool. But yeah a Sliver fin meet up will be great and this merman look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLyra View Post
    No worries about stepping on my fins. If you find work/gigs in Tampa Bay all the more power to you. Especially if it's the paying kind. Keep in mind (just my elder performer experience-Wise Silver fin talking here...Haha) unpaid volunteer gigs rarely leap into paid gigs. Exposure is rarely worth your time unless there is a guarantee of front page advertising. If you're going to volunteer make sure it's because it a cause you're passionate about.

That being said...I'd love to meet you and do a little Silver Fin meet up! Oh I can't wait to get my silicone tail!!!

Oh this is a really great post! 32 over here, and was wondering the same thing.

Junior Member Pod of Cali Propontis's Avatar
    44 here just started myself. MerCrone works for me.
    Bee to the blossom, moth to the flame; ​/ Each to his passion, whats in a name.

- Helen Hunt Jackson

I love this! Anytime the temperature hits the 80s I'm in the pool! My husband gave me a fin fun for Christmas and I've sewn a silver tail with purple fins and another one that is an orca...now I need an awesome finis so I can play in the ocean this summer!

When I see the word 'old' I think '90'. lol And there was a really good thread someone started a couple years ago that I wanted to link, Mers Over 30, I think it was. But the search function won't let me search for it, and tells me that the terms are too common and short to search for.

In any case... as you see, lots of mers are not in their teens and twenties. I turned 47 yesterday, and it means little to me outside of 'wow I have officially lived over 20 years longer than I once thought I would.' I know 'old' doesn't apply to me, but it might when I'm 90. I have friends in their 30s and 40s, however, who are always saying they feel old. I hope I never feel that way.

If everyone only did the things which seem age-appropriate by standards of others, I can't imagine a very fun life coming out of that. Do what makes your heart happy, to whatever ability you have, and rock it.

Good things come of being yourself regardless of what the generally accepted notions are, including breaking the stereotypes and encouraging others.

You're never too old to follow your heart or live your dream! Go for it! Personally I think this community needs older members to be an example and inspire others.