Thread: Ridge cutting on a Finis Rapid

Ridge cutting on a Finis Rapid

Hi everyone,

I've seen some discussion on this. I just want to make sure I've taken away the correct information. I'm hoping to do some silicone work on my Finis Rapid. As I understand it, it's ok to trim the ridges down, as long as I leave a little bit for stability and strength. (I don't need to take much--I just want to file down some of the higher bits of the small interior ridges so they don't impact the silicone.) How much should I leave to be safe? Also, it looks like a Dremel is an idea tool for this purpose? Is there anything else I need to know? There are so many posts that I'm having trouble finding the specific information, and I wanted to find out if there was a consensus.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I shaved some of mine with a box cutter, but just the high ridges...I noticed that it didn't make my fluke look any different when I put it in my silicone tail...

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Well bottom line, the monofin isn't SUPPOSED to be in a mermaid tail. Nobody really knows, and each monofin will respond differently. Many finis waves/rapids have cracked from the weight of a tail when modified or extended, but mines been fine for like..... 4 years of abuse. You SHOULD be fine filing down the ridges as you described, but there's no guarantee.