Thread: Disguising Goggles?????

Disguising Goggles?????

Hey guys! So, I was thinking about all the mers who really just need goggles. Like me. I'm sure I can't be the only one whose eyes feel like they're burning after five minutes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one worried about what kind of bacteria could get into them when I swim in the ocean or a lake.

So why don't we wear goggles? That's right. For a lot of us, they ruin the look and realism, since, we're mer people, and we shouldn't need goggles.

Well what if we transform them into mermaid eye glasses instead? I was thinking about getting a pair of slim, nice swim goggles and decorating them with fake seaweed and pears... just to hide all the bits that seem human. Has anyone else thought about this, or done this? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    In Raina's videos, she suggests eye gel instead. There are definitely ways to conceal goggles, but they are still pretty recognizable as goggles. The only exception I could see would be a steampunk theme mermaid, since goggles fit into the genre.

But if I could ever get around to finding them aesthetically pleasing, I'd be over the moon. It'd be much easier for me to see, since I require glasses up top!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    There's a thread somewhere on here about using a masquerade mask over goggles to help disguise it. I think it was Seatan who posted it, but I'm not 100%. Another option is to decorate a pair with foliage or netting.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

I'm sure I'll end up using the eye gel AniaR suggests anyway, since I know my "camouflage" goggles would not be practical for every event or swim. I think that if one were to get a really sleek, low profile design of goggles, and cover them with fake foliage, it would appear very much like an explorer type mer or a mer with glasses. I'm sure I'll figure out how to do that eventually, but I'm not going to get started on that until I have my tail. But when I do, I'll be sure to post pics. (I'm content to wait about ten years for my tail though, so it may be a while lol. XD)

I'll have to try and find that masquerade mask thread. I couldn't find anything like what I was thinking about, but I'll try to find that one also.

lemme see if I can find it. I've also considered the clear or flesh toned goggles. I have bad eyesight and chlorine kills my eyes.

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...highlight=mask

Found it! It was Seatan who posted it.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I came across these awhile ago on etsy. I think they're pretty cute.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/4632...?ref=related-3
    Formerly known as ireneho

My persona is 'nerdmaid' and so I like to wear my glasses as I swim

Then people started asking me if it helps me see better underwater *facepalms*
    Nope! I occasionally will wear goggles to train but I'm pretty much immune to chlorine now so I don't get easily bothered. However, my glasses recently have been getting harder to swim with as they keep falling off (and they actually broke yesterday &#128559
    When swimming with my small merling
    - https://youtu.be/295f2VpHmnY - who wears goggles, she said that her mersona is disabled and has to wear mermaid glasses which I thought was pretty cute and clever.
    Then it got me thinking into getting a pair of clear goggles and just cannibalizing a pair of 3D glasses (or actually even my old frames) to go on top. I can still look like me and not worry about them falling off and as an added bonus I'll be able to see!
    I'm worried about how weird or chunky they'll look though.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Did you need a pair of 3D glasses Faith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Did you need a pair of 3D glasses Faith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. They're pretty easy to come by and I have like 3 pairs floating around.

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

I'm definitely not looking for something like Mermaid Jaffa commented with. I'm looking for natural looks, so a foliage and fishnetting is probably what I'm going to go with for goggles, even though I do like the masquerade masks. They're not really what I'm going for.

I really think it would be cool to sculpt fake barnacles all over a pair of goggles. Make the goggles look aged like they have been lost underwater for a long time. Then it seems more like you were a curious mer and stumbled upon the goggles and decided to wear them. I find it more appealing to say you are wearing the goggles because they are a cool human thing you found. BUT... You can always say you are half mermaid and you were unlucky to have your mer genes make your vision bad on land and your human genes made your vision bad underwater - thus why you must wear glasses on land and goggles underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    No. They're pretty easy to come by and I have like 3 pairs floating around.

I don't know why but I thought your word choice was REALLY funny.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Ooh I love that idea Mermaid Alea!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    I'm definitely not looking for something like Mermaid Jaffa commented with. I'm looking for natural looks, so a foliage and fishnetting is probably what I'm going to go with for goggles, even though I do like the masquerade masks. They're not really what I'm going for.
    My eyesight changes every year or so. I am now wearing bifocals. Even though I love the idea of directly blinging up my prescription goggles, it is very expensive to do so. And the cost of my goggles far outweighs the natural look. The kids at my local pool, don't even notice that I'm wearing goggles. They're much too distracted by my tail, than what I'm wearing on the upper half of my body.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I actually found some glittery, bedazzled goggles at a Michael's once (they were totally made for three year olds, but I have a small head apparently), and I adore them! They'll match my future tail, and they're so funky looking anyways. I've gotta come up with a good response if anyone asks, though. I only use them when I need to (strong chlorine and practice swimming)

You could always wear clear swedish goggles. They're super low profile without any padding, so they don't show up while swimming. And they're also pretty comfortable when you the sides of the goggles trim the rims of the goggles down to fit, there are plenty of tutorials. You can find them pretty cheap, around $3-$5. You can easily disguise them behind hair, even if you have short hair on the sides like I do. Fancy it up with a crown, hat, diadem, headband, or whatever you choose, and you're rockin, since everyone will notice those and the goggles even less. This is what they look like:
    Name:  51UZynVbZDL._SL1176_.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  48.7 KB
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Quote Originally Posted by Takahao View Post
    You could always wear clear swedish goggles. They're super low profile without any padding, so they don't show up while swimming. And they're also pretty comfortable when you the sides of the goggles trim the rims of the goggles down to fit, there are plenty of tutorials. You can find them pretty cheap, around $3-$5. You can easily disguise them behind hair, even if you have short hair on the sides like I do. Fancy it up with a crown, hat, diadem, headband, or whatever you choose, and you're rockin, since everyone will notice those and the goggles even less. This is what they look like:
    Name:  51UZynVbZDL._SL1176_.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  48.7 KB
    Those are cool, I was planning on sprucing up some clear Speedos and I think I'll give these a try as well. I can sort of open my eyes under water but I definitely prefer goggles.

What's this eye gel everyone is talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaltySiren View Post
    What's this eye gel everyone is talking about?
    I read about some here on the 'How to deal with chlorine problems' thread: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...gative-effects

And on this thread about eye gel: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ricant-Eye-Gel

I really want to try it. I'm hoping to take swimming lessons soon- I can swim, and underwater but I think I could benefit from some training, since I taught myself to swim when I was a kid- and it will be at the Y, in their super-chlorinated pools.

Meanwhile, I'm watching this thread, as I do need glasses and prescription goggles might be nice underwater.

It is certainly interesting to learn more about this gel that everyone is hearing about. Maybe you just need to find the shape of glasses that suits you. You can do that on this page where it is just about that. I will be glad if the question is still relevant for you.