Thread: Suntails vs Finis Rapid?

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel

Suntails vs Finis Rapid?

So I've been watching Faith on the Bass (Hi Faith!) and I really liked what she had to say about Suntail monofins. I'm working towards getting a Finis Rapid, because I heard from various places that it's pretty ideal for someone of my foot size. What would be the major differences between the two? Is it only that professional free divers are used to Finis, or would a Suntail be less durable/powerful/agile/some-other-thing-I-might-want? I'm essentially wondering if the Suntail is good for it's class of monofin, but if Finis would be considered a different class altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lanier View Post
    So I've been watching Faith on the Bass (Hi Faith!) and I really liked what she had to say about Suntail monofins. I'm working towards getting a Finis Rapid, because I heard from various places that it's pretty ideal for someone of my foot size. What would be the major differences between the two? Is it only that professional free divers are used to Finis, or would a Suntail be less durable/powerful/agile/some-other-thing-I-might-want? I'm essentially wondering if the Suntail is good for it's class of monofin, but if Finis would be considered a different class altogether.
    Hoi! I had the chance to try out the Rapid yesterday and swim in it (video coming eventually!) It's a totally different ball game compared to Suntails. The Suntails monofin is right up there with FinFun in what I call Fabric Tail Monofins - basically companies that design monofins to go in their tails. The Rapid and other types of freediving monofins are different than any other monofin that I have had. Firstly, your feet are more directly 'in' the blade of the fin as opposed to on top of it. Therefore you have slightly more control. Secondly, it's 2 separate foot pockets with individual footstaps so you're more securely in there (although tbh they were not that good compared to other freediving monofins I have used. It might be due to how often they were used but the strap slipped down a few times and actually snapped when I was trying to get it on. It's not spring loaded like the Hydra so it's a meh from me) Anyways when I swam it it I had a decent amount of power and could do tricks decently in it. I did get some footcramping but that was about all the discomfort I had! I hope this answered some of your questions and I'm also writing this out partially so I can come back to it when writing some stuff.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    Awesome answer! You cleared it up perfectly, so thank you.