Thread: Mermaid Jacket DIY-ing

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Cool Mermaid Jacket DIY-ing

Hey, everyone! This weekend I started a new project! (Don't hate me, I'm not working on my tail aaaaa) I'm taking an old denim jacket that my mom was getting rid of and I'm recycling it into a sweet mermaid-punk-pastel-soft-grunge-diy-girl-gang jacket! I'm kinda figuring it out as I go, but I thought you guys might want to see! So far i have "embroidered" some pastel pink shells onto the lapels, using a cheaty-embroidery-techinique.

Name:  -1.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  306.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_7382.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  228.0 KB

What I did was "draw" the design in hot glue directly onto the jacket, then I used a needle threaded with embroidery floss to wrap around and cover the glue. This way it has a higher relief without having to pad the thread or like actually know how to embroider! It's a quick hack that I have been dying to try for a few years and I LOVE how it came out.
    (If you're worried about the glue melting, it can also be done with puffy paint, but if you mess up the design with the glue, you can peel it off, no sweat.)

I want to add a few diy pins and maybe some pearl "studs" on the shoulders. I have an iron on patch from the local aquarium that I think I want on the arm, and I'm gonna paint fish bones on the back someplace. I'm also thinking about scales on one side though idk what medium I want to use for that.

Anyways I'm pretty excited about this project and I hope you guys will like watching it!

That looks awesome! I actually have an old denim jacket that I could use for this. The only problem is that I don't have any hot glue or puffy paint.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

What an awesome embroidery hack! This jacket is gonna RAWK.

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

That is one of the coolest tricks ever.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Don't ever put in the clothes dryer!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Don't ever put in the clothes dryer!
    How is she gonna wash it then?

My thought is, when that glue starts to break apart and you lose that 3D effect, you have to sew real embroidery!

*checks her Embroidery Stitch Bible*

Aha!

Trailing! Google Trailing Stitch.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    How is she gonna wash it then?
    Cold water delicate load to wash and hang or lay flat to dry, if she doesn't want to lose the glue

You assume I am going to wash it *finger guns* lol but actually I'll probably only spot wash it. I'm going to have paint and stuff sewn on too, I'll be gentle with it. Its definitely not professional, but there's gorilla tape in my fabric tail, i dont wear gloves when working with silicone, and I made a tail weight with a ziploc full of pennies. When have I been professional?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Celestia View Post
    That looks awesome! I actually have an old denim jacket that I could use for this. The only problem is that I don't have any hot glue or puffy paint.
    You COULD do it the right way lol. And puffy paint is pretty cheap, if you're a diehard cheater like me.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    What an awesome embroidery hack! This jacket is gonna RAWK.

Thank you!

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Add MermaidLana on Facebook Add MermaidLana on Google+
    Follow MermaidLana on Tumblr Visit MermaidLana's Youtube Channel
    We should like make a mermaid/man gang with the same mermaid denim jacket, that would be awesome.

This looks amazing!
    I'm totally going to make one for myself, but I'm probably going to machine-embroider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, I was just thinking that, technically, some jeans maker came out a few years ago and was like don't wash your jeans more than once a year, or something. Plus, with a jacket, you'll be wearing clothes between it and your skin, so it won't get as dirty as, say, a shirt.

That looks like an awesome start, anyway. Can't wait to see it complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia View Post
    Haha, I was just thinking that, technically, some jeans maker came out a few years ago and was like don't wash your jeans more than once a year, or something.
    Ah! I remember that, but personally I think it's kind of gross. Girls' jeans, especially heavier girls like me, our jeans at the crotch are right up in a very tight, closed space, and there is sweat. I'm washing my jeans maybe not EVERY wear, but every few, thank you. XD