Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propulsion Comparison?

I just took my merfin out for a swim so figured i would chime in. I have a fin fun, a mahina merfin, and a finis rapid. I found the fin fun is nice for a first tail, but i quickly wanted more. I would trust the fin fun with newer swimmers. The rapid gives me the beat push in my experience, but it is heavy and fairly stiff so it takes a moment to get going. I have it for moving me around in one of my heavier fabric tails and the propulsion it gives is necessary. I don't think i would get very far with any floppier or smaller monofin. My main concern with the rapid is that when i did let my less-experienced fiance try it he sunk. It was actually detrimental. His kick was not strong enough to hold the mono fin at the angle needed to push him forward. The mahina merfin is in between. I would say it is a LOT better than the fin fun for propulsion, but not quite satisfying after the power of the rapid. It is floppier than the rapid, which looks more mermaid-esque (in my opinion) and meant it is more forgiving for the newer swimmer. It was defiantly easier to swim in for a longer period because it takes less effort, but that did trade out some of the power.

Conclusion: if you are already a strong swimmer and your goal is fast, the rapid is great. If you have some experience and your goal is easy speed the merfin is the way to go.

I have no idea how any of these behave in silicone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I personally find the foil foot pockets to be so uncomfortable when put in a silicone tail. Same with the wave and rapid. When they're not in a tail I find them mostly fine, but I think it's how the tail compresses your legs with so much force that the insides of my feet hurt so bad. The competitor was always the most comfortable for me in terms of how the foot pockets are and how it sits in a tail. I wear socks religiously but I find the pockets will still cut into my feet in those models whereas with the competitor it's like the spacing lines up better with the tail? hard to explain!

I would LOVE to get my hands on a competitor... well rather my feet in one LOL. I definitely see what you are saying with the foot pockets, they are pretty far apart.

I think the study you did was awesome BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a lot of the Finis line: Competitor, Trainer, Shooter, and Foil. The Competitor has the biggest blade area, and gives the most thrust per kick. But you can't get as many revs for a given distance with it--you must streamline your body and glide more to cover the distance. I like the Foil best, because you can get more revs done for a given distance, get less thrust per kick, and get a better aerobic workout that way.