Thread: What blade would be best to use to cut a huge amount of plaster?

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidJeanette's Avatar

Visit MermaidJeanette's Youtube Channel

What blade would be best to use to cut a huge amount of plaster?

So I designed on top part for my monofin and it's has straps built in.....I'm not sure how to make it so I can get the latex stripes out....If I in case it with plaster, so I figure I'll need to cut the plaster mode in half where the stripes would be. I have grandfather who as a power handheld saw. I just need to know what blade would be best to cut plaster with. PS: I know cutting with a handsaw is dangerous I always do it with anther in the room and always fallow the safety rules.

If anyone know I way where I could put something in between to make it so the plaster can be in two piece I'm open to idea's about that.

Name:  Strapes_1.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  77.2 KB
    Name:  Strapes_2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  78.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can cast the plaster in sections. Shoemakers use a device called a last. Typically these are carved out of wood. I have seen and cast my own plaster lasts from old shoes that fit well. Use your favorite search engine to see how lasts are made. I also make puppets from latex and silicone molds using an edison style light bub as a core. This gets covered with clay. Liquid latex is painted onto the clay. Then the whole thing is cast in plaster.

When you cast plaster in sections you place a marble key where the joins are. A mold release is also needed. Something like dawn Dish soap works well. Remove the marble key before poring the next layer. Sometimes it works to build a clay dam around the section to be cast. This can be removed before the next plaster section is cast. For puppets these are cast with wood filler which is sawdust and glue. You can also make the last from woodfiller.

Ideally you would make the last first measuring your food as a guide. It works best if the last is a bit smaller than your foot. When you have the last made use the clay to form the part that will be cast. Plaster can then be applied over the outside. Remember that plaster can be applied to the top of a ceiling, or a wall. So it can be sculpted. Depending on the mix it can have a 7 to 10 minute work time before it hardens. The damp plaster can be carved a bit after that. Also note plaster gets quite hot as it sets. Do not cast it directly on skin. (unless dental or medical grade is used.)