Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random useless facts that are interesting.

This is by far the most disturbing thing I've learned, that is also interesting.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Just wow

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    I'm sure you've heard some (or even all) of these before, but I had to share some of my favorite octopus facts.*

A lot of an octopus' neurons (bits that make up your brain) are in its tentacles, which allows them to literally have a mind of their own.*

An octopus has two tentacles that function as legs and four that work like arms.*

This is incredibly useful for Coconut octopuses (which is the correct plural term, btw.) A coconut octopus will carry around two coconut halves or shell halves in their four arms while using their two legs to run across the ocean floor. They can then hide in the shells from danger or to stalk prey.*

An octopus CAN regrow its arm, and unlike its more famous lizard counterpart, the octopus can replicate the arm perfectly.*

Octopuses are pretty squishy. In fact, their beaks are the only non-squishable part. As such, they can fit in any hole that's at least a little bigger than their beaks... which can look REALLY impressive!*

In aquariums, the aquarists are required to play games with the octopuses. They're very intelligent--thought to be the smartest of our spineless friends--and need to be kept from getting bored. A bored octopus may seek to entertain itself (maybe by playing with the plumbing), escape (they've been known to have nighttime waltzes around the aquariums), or even eat themselves (a bored cephalapod may eat its own tentacles.)*

That's not the only self-destructive habit an octopus may have. A certain species, whose name has escaped me, must detach its penis to hand to the female. It then goes off to die. And after the female gives birth to thousands of octopus babies, she then kicks the tank as well.*

But octopuses are really good at avoiding death. They are equipped with: intelligence, mimicry, sticky and chemical-fille ink, speed, and suckers on their tentacles. There are lots of clever little tools they can use to evade predators.*

I second needing to entertain the octopus! I heard of one climbing out of its tank and eating I believe crabs? Out of the neighboring exhibit. Also, they have three hearts. Anemones spit up their stomachs to eat their food then pull them in again. Their closest relatives are jellyfish. Sea stars have eyespots on the tip of each arm. Stingrays regrow their barbs when they lose them, but it takes two years

The music to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for the Sega Genesis was coproduce by Michael Jackson. Because he didn't like the sound quality the game system produce, he requested he wasn't to be credited.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    - Hippo milk is pink
    - A kangaroo nor an emu can walk backwards, and are on the Aus flag to represent moving forwards (can any Aussies verify?)
    - Pigeons are the one of the few birds that recognises human faces from one another
    - Dogs have learnt to mimic behaviour that humans understand, despite it being completely irrelevant to their own behaviour
    - A newborn litter of puppies is sometimes known as a 'puddle'

An elephant mother's milk changes eight times and never contains any fat.

Really early in the morning a Long time ago, a group of animal wardens/nurses/vets were desperately trying to get an orphaned baby giraffe to suckle from a bottle. At their wits' end one of the attendees announced, 'we will now try marshmallows!' He proceeded to rub the marsh over the nipple of the bottle and it worked!

Whenever you think, your larynx is simultaneously vibrating those sounds and words as if you were actually speaking.

Regardless of your gender, your earlobes will line up with your nipples.

That fact is more entertaining telling people at the beach for obvious reason that people don't think of their actions as they are verifying this.

Survivor of cyberbullies

This thread is awesome. I'll add a few bits that I can think of.

The plastics endings of shoe laces are called aglets.

A heard of Unicorn are called a blessing.

A herd of moose are called moose.

A baby bat is called a pup.

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    Bananas are actually HERBS. And banana trees really aren't trees - the 'stalk' is made up of compressed leaves that haven't bloomed.

Holy crap! This is true

Quote Originally Posted by kindawarped View Post
    Bananas are actually HERBS. And banana trees really aren't trees - the 'stalk' is made up of compressed leaves that haven't bloomed.

Survivor of cyberbullies

The reason that palm trees catch on fire easily, is because they grow from the top. As it grows taller in height, the leaves at the bottom of the tree will fall off, leaving a bunch of dried fibrous leaves. So they're essentially covered in kindling. That's also why the ones that don't have the leaves fall off look funny.

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaph's Avatar
    Follow MermaidSaph On Twitter
    Follow MermaidSaph on Tumblr Visit MermaidSaph's Youtube Channel
    Unless a fox is facing north when hunting, it will most likely come up empty-pawed.
    (There was a study on this, but I have no idea where the link is...)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using MerNetwork mobile app
    Kitvin ☆ they/them ☆ he/him

I will fear not my death or destiny
    Because death fears me
    I'm not afraid to stand up
    Fists up
    Never gonna give up
    I'm lightning, no fear, just adrenaline
    ~
    What kind of scars will you leave?
    What kind of blood will you bleed?
    When fear sets the stage for defeat
    What will your legacy be?

Tomato is a berry-type fruit. So there's a quote: "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
    Let's assume that it is possible to cope with all the writings at the college. But there will be no time for friends and activities. Find at https://writemyessayonline.com/do-my-homework.html the assistance with any academic tasks to make your life normal and full of positive moments

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Katyah View Post
    This thread is awesome. I'll add a few bits that I can think of.

The plastics endings of shoe laces are called aglets.

A heard of Unicorn are called a blessing.

A herd of moose are called moose.

A baby bat is called a pup.
    I went to look that unicorn thing up and this came up.
    A*group of unicorns*is*called*a blessing. Twelve or more cows are*known as*a "flink." A*group*of frogs is*called*an army. A*group of rhinos is*called*a crash.
    XD

Sent from my VS988 using MerNetwork mobile app
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Here's a few Useless facts that you Need to Know!!

- Women have been found to blink more often than men. We beet'm! - Women 19 blinks per second / men 11 blinks per second e

My Web-sight, check it out Fairy wings and Mermaid tails http://kayleeshae97.wixsite.com/faeportal

Follow KikiDoodle On Twitter Add KikiDoodle on Facebook
    Follow KikiDoodle on Tumblr
    My favorite useless fact...

Sphynx cats often smell like potatos.

(Mine does xD)
    We've discovered some new Purrmaids! https://deepsea.purrmaids.com
    Adoptions are open! https://purrmaids.com

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Here's a useless fact We share 50% of our DNA with bananas!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Lysol was used as birth control in the 1930. It was even advertise as that back then. (This wasn't what I had in mind when I was told it removes stains)

Survivor of cyberbullies