Thread: 13 years old, want to know what I can do to start out!

Question 13 years old, want to know what I can do to start out!

I'm 13 years old and live in the Houston Area. I want to know how I can start out performing or modeling. NO one has had a mer convention in Galveston, so I haven't had a chance to do anything. I want to tell my friends about my dream, but I feel like they'll laugh at me. I do ballet and theatre and I want to find time to do this thing.

Start off really small and work slowly. Rushing into things can create problems later as you may not know what you're getting yourself into. Research and find your tail if you haven't already and swim around. Have a lot of fun with it! That's what's key. If you don't love what you do, then where is the point?

Build your persona and figure out exactly what it is you want to do. Charity work? Photoshoots? Advocate for marine preservation? Set some realistic goals and works towards achieving them.

Find other mers in the area. I'm sure I've seen a ton from Texas and possibly near you. Ask around and maybe someone will pop up. If not, create your own pod! Try to see if there are like-minded individuals you know. Usually the artsy and creative type take interest in costuming. See if they'd be open to the idea of swimming around as a merperson. I know that you mentioned your friends may make fun of you, but you'll never know unless you try. Just be aware that people may laugh - people sure did when I was your age. However you'll find your real friends and in a while, everyone will forget all about it.

Take some photos and videos of yourself. Post them on YouTube or here and get your name out there. Nothing will ever happen if you stay hidden in the dark. Maybe go to a beach or a pool to take photos. That way people will see that you have a purpose and you can also interact with them.

As time passes and you get confident with your mermaid self, maybe try to save up for some nicer equipment like a more durable tail and real photoshoots. This may take a few years.

Remember when I said take it slow? Yep, it could definitely take years and years to get where you want to be. I've had a dream of being a professional mermaid since I was eleven. I'm seventeen now and I've barely gotten to the point where I interact with people as a mermaid. Granted, I've taken a couple year-long breaks from being a mermaid here and there, but there are also setbacks financially. Mermaiding is extremely costly if you want to make it into a professional job, and you'll need to take into account saving up for a car, college, housing, etc. in the future. Of course, there are some younger girls who can afford fancy tails and photoshoots from a young age so if you fit into that category then props to you - you could be on your way.

So remember, take it slow and have fun. Make sure you can commit and if you fall off the boat then hey, you can still have fun as a mermaid regardless.

Tip: Raina (AniaR on here) has a book called "Fishy Business" that has explanations from a real professional mermaid that are far more in depth than mine. Maybe check that out? I'm sure I've seen threads on the site as well. Be sure to check those out first if you have any questions.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    Fantastic advice, Kalani! I'm turning seventeen and just starting out, and would love to work with Marine Preservation. I'm definitely putting both of Raina's books on my list.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Unfortunately, You are too young to legally work, so you are not able to do any payed performing or modeling gigs. You can still be a mermaid! There are LOTS of mers in texas! Try keeping an eye out for meetups in the pod page. Also, make sure you have your parent or guardian involved! Meeting strangers from the internet, even mermaids, is dangerous!

As far as friends go, maybe show them some cool mermaiding youtube videos first, then once they think its cool, wait a few days and tell them you want to get a mermaid tail too! (Thats how I told my family without getting judged lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Usually the artsy and creative type take interest in costuming. See if they'd be open to the idea of swimming around as a merperson. I know that you mentioned your friends may make fun of you, but you'll never know unless you try.
    In college I was a graphic design major. All the other graphic designers I was surrounded by thought it was cool that I was a mermaid and one girl was already following Finfolk Productions on Facebook. To me theater people seem even more quirky and accepting.

Have you checked the Member Map? There are a lot of mers listed in Texas: http://mernetwork.com/index/dcMembermap.php
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

So, the way I got my first few gigs was-
    I presented my silicone tail to places that were tiki bar themed or better yet- Aquariums with a Big Tank, and I offered a few different services. Grand openings to birthday parties and then maybe main events the place is holding. I would do $50 an hour- have a short list of the performance you will be providing, such as, will you be swimming, or just sitting greeting guests and taking free pictures? So come up with a little description of that and present it to some places!

Oh! If you do ballet you should create some underwater choreography, and learn to do some simple tricks- underwater bubble rings and kisses, fancy turns and flips.

I hope this helps! You can message me for specifics on the gigs I've landed. I also sell silicone mermaid tails for a decent price with the highest grade materials as well, here's one I've made attached to his message let me know if you're interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images