Thread: Mermaid shows

Add KYounglove on Facebook

Mermaid shows

I have a concept in mind for an event. The event has a pool and they want me to swim around. But they also want me to have periodic "shows".
    The patrons of the event do not get to enter the pool, just watch from the sides. I have a year to put something together.

So, my question is what kind of things would keep an audience entertained for a half hour without personal interaction, while in a pool? In a tank, you can at least see the mermaid at the bottom.

I'm looking for inspiration. Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    Flips can be difficult in a silicone tail, but if you can master it, that would look pretty spectacular. Anything that allows you to lift your tail out of the water--maybe to spray guests in a splash zone--then it would look really cool. The depth of the pool might limit a lot of that, however, and I never swam in a silicon tail to see if it's even possible, or if its too heavy. But maybe it'll get you thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lanier View Post
    Flips can be difficult in a silicone tail, but if you can master it, that would look pretty spectacular. Anything that allows you to lift your tail out of the water--maybe to spray guests in a splash zone--then it would look really cool. The depth of the pool might limit a lot of that, however, and I never swam in a silicon tail to see if it's even possible, or if its too heavy. But maybe it'll get you thinking.
    That's a good idea. I'm really trying to imagine it from the audience perspective. I think the splash zone is smart lol

Include some kind of story. I dunno, some guy just telling the tales of the mermaid, where she was found, what she can do, you know, put some kind of suspense and backstory that might get people's attention. Explaining that the mermaid was trained for a year to be obedient and joyful, like dolphins in an aquarium. Stories always make everything more interesting rather than a mermaid just being there with no explanation
    The world sees us as Merfolk
    We see ourselves as a Pod, as a family
    We live to swim

Play "fetch" - have people throw shiny jewels or something into the pool for you to get and give to people or something of the sort.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Aquos Savar View Post
    Include some kind of story. I dunno, some guy just telling the tales of the mermaid, where she was found, what she can do, you know, put some kind of suspense and backstory that might get people's attention. Explaining that the mermaid was trained for a year to be obedient and joyful, like dolphins in an aquarium. Stories always make everything more interesting rather than a mermaid just being there with no explanation
    I was considering this, but I really like the way you phrase it. Sometimes I just need to hear things from other peoples perspectives. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Play "fetch" - have people throw shiny jewels or something into the pool for you to get and give to people or something of the sort.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    That sounds like something cute to do with small kidlettes, and I can use that between shows.

I'm looking more at choreographed 30 minute shows, so I can provide showtimes. Think Weeki Wachee, but if you were watching it from the top of the pool, not the awesome windows. And that is where I am a little stuck. There are a lot of kewl things I can do underwater, but only some of them make sense from the top of the pool.

The suggestions are really helping, so thank you

Junior Member Euro Pod Alaw ferch Tonnau's Avatar
    I know they can't come into the pool but will you be able to talk to the audience?
    Some suggestions- you could swim in a pattern around the pool so you are more visible from above on your front, side and back including rolls, twists and flips. I suggest changing the way you swim e.g.sometimes slow and graceful like a whale, sometimes darting and playful like a dolphin or otter, and occasionally surfacing and smiling or waving at the audience for example. Can you have some music playing as well that you could perform to?
    Call me Ally