Thread: A random theory I had about mermaids combing their hair.

Junior Member Euro Pod Alaw ferch Tonnau's Avatar

A random theory I had about mermaids combing their hair.

I was thinking about how I'm not a fan of the image of mermaids constantly brushing their hair and looking in the mirror as it makes them seem shallow. But then I thought perhaps mermaids have to comb their hair out of the water because it's hard to do so underwater. Maybe they don't spend that much time brushing their hair but because it is one of the main reasons why they would surface humans are more likely to see them doing so and therefore associate mermaids with hair brushing. Perhaps because most mermen have short hair they don't need to spend as much time combing it so they spend less time out of the water, hence fewer merman sightings and fewer merman folktales.
    Like I said a bit random but I had to share it. Am I the first to think this or not?
    Call me Ally

Follow Teeny on Tumblr
    It's a very cool theory! It makes perfect sense.

Junior Member Pod of Texas
    "Somewhere over the rainbow!" No not in Kansas :|
    Interesting
    Not all merfolk live in the ocean

Yeah that makes sense! Plus if mermaids brush their hair underwater, it just floats everywhere and gets all tangled again. Of course, I think it would do mermaids good to cut their hair short so it doesn't get tangled much at all in the coral. Works for me
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Pod of The South
    I will be moving this summer, most likely to Virginia.

Visit Mermaid Lanier's Youtube Channel
    I love this idea! It would make for a cute conversation between a mer and a human in a story or movie.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Adorable!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    This is a cute theory. I like it.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I like this theory!
    Makes a ton o' sense!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

I feel the same way. If you have long hair or hair that is prone to tangling (I have both) then you will soon understand why mermaids spend lots of time brushing their hair. My hair gets tangled enough when I am not even doing anything - like seriously how do girls go outside in the wind and come in still with silky, straight hair and I come inside with my hair all over the place. Once I go swimming I get little knots in it all over the place. I can imagine it being a nightmare trying to brush your hair underwater. Maybe I should try it sometime to see what happens haha. I would image that it would be hard to keep track of what area you already brushed because your hair would be floating around. Then once you brush out one area it would probably re-tangle itself. Maybe a better option would be to wrap your hair in kelp haha.

The brushing could also be for getting all the sand and aquatic plant fragments out of their hair too. No one wants rotting seaweed stuck in their hair...At least I don't because you get to land then you wonder what that smell is and you see something green in your hair and you are like, "Aww man I should have known this was going to happen. I wonder if anyone else saw me walking around with this green thing stuck in my hair?"
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Yeah... I'm a siren, but I've actually made up my mind that I'm not going to deal with any of that and instead braid or twist my hair before taking a swim. My hair is almost down to my butt, and because I'm 5'7", that's really long. So... no mermaid hair brushing for me. I actually don't even brush it when it's wet after showers and things since my hair likes to pretend it's alive and having a knot contest whenever it's wet! I'll have to figure out a super mermaidy hairstyle that contains my hair well.

BUT I do LOVE this theory.

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of Cali
    Love this!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk